PDA

View Full Version : All wheel disc.

Crazy_88
09-27-2009, 05:32 PM
So my 88 gt needs a brake upgrade. I have the hubs and brake set up from an 89 gts. A couple of questions i have before i tear it all down.

Are the drive axle splines different? Will my gt axles fit the gts hubs?

Are the E-brake cables different from gt to gts? I hope not cause my e-brake cables are new. and were expensive.

Are the calipers the same from gt to gts?

CriScO
09-28-2009, 05:07 AM
Are the drive axle splines different? Will my gt axles fit the gts hubs?
No, yes. Splines are the same.

Are the E-brake cables different from gt to gts? I hope not cause my e-brake cables are new. and were expensive.
Not 100% on this one because my originals on the coupe had been cut and it's been years since I had the hatchback's rear end apart. What I can tell you is that the cable itself is identical, all mounting points under the car are the same. The only thing I'm slightly unsure of is if the bracket is the same.

Are the calipers the same from gt to gts?
Yes, but the brackets are not. The GT-S rotor is wider in diameter, so the bracket is extended further out.

One other thing, some GT-S models had a slight bit of extra camber adjustment at the bottom of the strut tower that the GT did not. I'm pretty sure this was limited to the pre-facelift models(86-87) but I could be wrong. If it does the top of the steering knuckle will be cut inward, causing it to not be flush with the strut tower. There's a little spacer between that top bolt hole and the strut tower bracket that can be turned for slight adjustments. Just something to look out for.

rev_head
09-28-2009, 09:29 AM
yer there was a select few that had factory "camber bolts". realistically there shouldnt be any probs though.

Crazy_88
09-30-2009, 01:39 AM
Thats great i'll start buying new parts to do the swap in the spring.

Good site to get drilled gts rotors?

How specific do i have to be when ordering rotors?

CriScO
09-30-2009, 05:02 AM
http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1646

Rick89GTS
09-30-2009, 08:48 AM
^Further to the above, I can confirm that the camber adjustment cam was only on the 86-87 Celicas; the 88-89 Celicas did not have them and are not adjustable for camber - weird.