PDA

View Full Version : 89 fwd to 4wd

pirate7
09-24-2009, 08:22 PM
i have 89 st was going swap it in a 3sgte with 5 spd AWD. does know know if i will have any major issed swiching for FWD to 4WD? any info will have

RedRkt01
09-24-2009, 08:37 PM
In short, that is not going to happen. The 2WD and 4WD cars are basically different cars. Fron the back seat the the back bumper everything is different. Thay aren't even the same size.

Welcome to Celicatech, by the way. ;)

Mafix
09-24-2009, 10:02 PM
not ever going to work. it's 10 times cheaper to buy the real car.

Murgatroy
09-24-2009, 10:18 PM
If you buy all new floor pans, and get the complete rear assembly out of an ST165. It would be possible. I think the firewall needs to be changed too.

However, how good are your welding skills?

In short, you could afford to buy 3 ST165s for the price you would spend converting one ST162.

pirate7
09-25-2009, 03:25 AM
my welding skill are not half bad

pirate7
09-25-2009, 03:31 AM
what you remand for engine swap?

Grot
09-25-2009, 03:33 AM
It would be worth you while to get the correct platform to start with.

you will have to cut out and replace all your floor pans, and your fire wall.

Then source the 3sgte, along with AWD tranny and transfer case.

The you will need all the Alltrac rear axle along with brake parts.

It is worth you time and money to buy an alltrac and go from there.

BTW if you did this you would have 4 lug in the front and 5 lug in the rear :laugh:

Lonestag
09-25-2009, 03:36 AM
Well, I'm going to say i'm proud of c-tech for not giving him the usual fwd to awd beatdown.

That said, you would be spending three times the cash you would be on buying a alltrac and getting it into fighting shape just to do the conversion, regardless of your welding skill.

That said, swapping in the 3sgte without the awd might still be worth your time, and you would be a lot lighter then a 185...

Murgatroy
09-25-2009, 03:50 AM
what you remand for engine swap?
If you want to swap just the engine, that is doable, and documented, as a matter of fact, at least one person in this thread has done it. Another has used a 3SGE.

You want the 3SGTE, the wiring harness, the ECU and about a grand in cash to complete it. You can reuse your current transmission. It might handle it, it might not. There are multiple transmission options, including modifying the AWD tranny to a FWD tranny.

Wander over the Forced Induction section and start with the stickies at the top, it will give you a better idea of what is involved and lead you to asking informed questions.

Good luck if you decide to pursue this.

pirate7
09-25-2009, 04:15 AM
do you know how i would go about modding awd tranny to fwd?

If you want to swap just the engine, that is doable, and documented, as a matter of fact, at least one person in this thread has done it. Another has used a 3SGE.

You want the 3SGTE, the wiring harness, the ECU and about a grand in cash to complete it. You can reuse your current transmission. It might handle it, it might not. There are multiple transmission options, including modifying the AWD tranny to a FWD tranny.

Wander over the Forced Induction section and start with the stickies at the top, it will give you a better idea of what is involved and lead you to asking informed questions.

Good luck if you decide to pursue this.

Murgatroy
09-25-2009, 04:18 AM
I don't know if the 1rst Gen 3SGTE tranny is able to be converted, as I have no experience in what I going to tell you.

The general gist of it is to take the differential from an MR2 Turbo, and block off the rear drive shaft. You drop that in and your formerly AWD tranny is now FWD. Sean and a couple of other folks have done this.

pirate7
09-25-2009, 04:36 AM
ah ok btw you any site i can look step by step prossce on it

Grot
09-25-2009, 05:05 AM
this one SHOULD have one. search through some old threads. or wait and see if anyone comes back with a more definate answer

RedRkt01
09-27-2009, 04:23 PM
While the E series tranny is tougher I'm skeptical about carrying all that extra unused weight in the car. I say just go S54. Maybe even E56 if you're lucky enough to find one.

Mafix
09-28-2009, 03:19 PM
stock power levels with "toyota" tempered axles and the s series tranny is fine. you will need one from a FE series motor or mod the starter housing for the GE tranny.
if you plan on ripping around in the car then it's only a matter of time before you break the trans. my updated s53 (93 camry with dual cone syncros) lasted till 335 whp before i literally ripped it apart.

Crazy_88
09-30-2009, 01:44 AM
[QUOTE=Mafix]stock power levels with "toyota" tempered axles and the s series tranny is fine. you will need one from a FE series motor or mod the starter housing for the GE tranny.[QUOTE]

So both trans will fit the 3sgte except for the starter housing.
Which one has better gearing for the 3sgte?

Mafix
09-30-2009, 08:58 PM
depends on what you want to do.

Nitro_Alltrac
10-01-2009, 01:20 AM
There are a lot of issues with trying to use the AWD transmission. From what I understand on the ST16X, the transfer case extension won't clear the fire wall. You'd have to disable the transfer case as the center diff will stay spooled up due to nothing connected to the output shaft.

You'd better off to use the MR2 tranny or the tranny out of the V6 (I think it is) out of the Solara. The conversion for the 3SGTE in FWD is pretty well documented and infinitely simplier than trying to convert to AWD. It is possible, but very difficult. A member hear on the board has a 5th gen that has been converted. I think his board name is Importer13. He has a thread on the car.