PDA

View Full Version : 5sfe timing

Grot
09-24-2009, 02:16 AM
Im doing the timing belt on my neighbors camry, it broke.

Anything special i should know.

i searched, but didnt find anything major.

im assuming its not much different than my 3sge.

85gtsblackman
09-24-2009, 08:43 AM
well it has 1 cam sproket instead of 2, other than that yes its the same

Shadowlife25
09-24-2009, 10:52 AM
Joe, it still has 2 sprockets.

It uses a "slave cam" setup, so it's a bit odd that way. ;)

T-belt on it shouldn't be too bad. Plan on about 9 hours to do it all.

The camry 5s is the same as the Celica 5s.

Good luck mang. As per usual, you can PM me for my # and I'll be happy to help as much as I'm able.

donteatbugs
09-24-2009, 12:11 PM
i did a 95 camry timing belt last night and replaced the cam and oil pump seals. it took 1 hr and 30 mins from start to finish. i even had to go look up what notch to use to line it back up. its the hole in the sprocket with the notch in the cam cap btw

Terracar
09-24-2009, 02:11 PM
Joe, it still has 2 sprockets.

It uses a "slave cam" setup, so it's a bit odd that way. ;)

I believe he was referring more the the external cam gear (the one you worry about when doing T-belt)- only has 1.

If you want to get technical - then it really has 3 (2 on the intake (external for T-belt and the gear for the slave drive) and the slave gear on the exhaust) - it uses a "slave cam" setup, so it's a bit odd that way. ;)

Oh and tensioner is much easier to deal with.

If it is taking you 9 hours to do the T-belt on a 5s then you're doing more work than necessary.

-Terracar

Luni
09-24-2009, 05:05 PM
Yeah, 5S is cakewalk.

I can replace the timing belt on one of those in a few hours from start to finish, and thats in an MR2.

Shadowlife25
09-25-2009, 02:05 AM
Just to clarify: I said to plan for it to take 9 hours assuming no mechanical ability.

I did mine in 45 minutes after I had everything else off.

Mr.Shaun91
09-25-2009, 02:11 AM
just make sure you time the engine correctly

Terracar
09-25-2009, 03:14 PM
Just to clarify: I said to plan for it to take 9 hours assuming no mechanical ability.

I did mine in 45 minutes after I had everything else off.

Umm that would be the long part - taking everything else off. If I had to do the T-belt with everything else off it would be a 5 min job... wait 7 I would probably have to go take a piss. :dr:

Then again I just had a mental image of one of my ex g/fs trying to do teh T-belt..... "but I already looked through my closet and I can't find the timing belt anywhere. It has a stopwatch on it right?"

So yeah I guess 9 hours could be a fair estimate for her. :boobies:

-Terracar

Grot
09-25-2009, 03:34 PM
i did this yesterday, the 5s is MUCH easier than the 3s.

There is alot more room in the camry bay than in my 162