PDA

View Full Version : ST Starts but cries loudly...

rookie206
09-18-2009, 03:28 AM
Everything plugged in but cries loudly. I am afraid it's coming from the transmission. I have heard that the clutch isn't aligned properly and that I should have lubed the throw-out bearing along with the shaft. Any other suggestions that could solve the problem?

Another problem is the power steering, it also cries. What could it be? And how could I solve this problem with the least stress?!?

Thanks is advance and anybody from Seattle willing to help, please pm me!

4thgenceli
09-18-2009, 03:42 AM
Um... can you give a bit more information?

It cries... Ok cool. How? What do you do to replicate it?

first off, yes you should always lube the T/O bearing and shaft, this can be the source of a howl.

Powersteering... chances are you have a leak, most likely the high pressure hose (common on these). When you turn the wheel left & right does it make the noise?

rizin
09-18-2009, 03:45 AM
You would not have got the engine and trans bolted up if everything was not lined up.

rookie206
09-18-2009, 08:34 AM
The howl comes from taking the foot off the clutch. I did forget to lube the two parts listed above and will do so sometime this weekend. With the tranny out, I might as well replace the clutch completely b/c of the noise along with the T/O bearing.

As for the P/S, the noise appears both while the steering wheel is straight and turning Left and Right. But I don't see any apparent leaks.

Rizin: i got everything lined up to the best of my abilities but I didn't use the Black Rubber Knob to align the clutch while installing the pressure plate.

Also, would the torques of these bolts have anything to do with the noises?

Thanks again for helping out a noobie!

mar_phi6
09-18-2009, 09:03 AM
Did you check your p/s pump? Could be air in there

rookie206
09-19-2009, 06:54 AM
We took out the Tranny today and found out that the noise was coming from the pressure plate hitting the tranny housing near the T/O bearing... WHY? The clutch doesn't seem to be damaged at all. Also, we took the flywheel out from an AT and switched in the MT flywheel, is there a big difference on their sizes? Are the specifc gaps/spaces I need to follow in order to avoid these problems in the future?

The P/S belt seemed to have been loose, so that may solve that noise issue there.

Murgatroy
09-19-2009, 07:06 AM
If you are using a manual, you have to use a flywheel. If you are using an automatic, you have to use a flexplate. No exceptions. Ever.

If you are using a flexplate and a clutch, you are going to brake things fast and it isn't going to be good.

Make sure your tranny is doped (full of fluid, they call for ATF) and make sure you PS pump reservoir is full and the belt is tight on the pump.

rookie206
09-21-2009, 09:29 AM
I think I may have found the problem. It was the spacer used in an AT motor. I did not take it off when I slapped on the flywheel. I will find out next Tuesday if that will solve my howling noise. Thanks again to all that replied and hope that this rookie will be more educated of his own ride!!!