PDA

View Full Version : Loud road noise - Shocks?

AznKlique
09-17-2009, 03:34 AM
Hi all, it's been a while. I have an annoying problem with my celica that I need input on. I've noticed recently that the road noise in my car has been quite louder than before. At first I thought it may have been my 17" wheels, but I could've sworn it wasn't that loud a month ago. So I swapped over back to the stock wheels and the loud road noise is still there! Gives me a friggin headache after 20 minutes of driving. Could the problem be that my shocks are blown? I have 188K miles on my car. The car has original shocks to my knowledge with Eibach prokit springs (1" drop). What else could it be?

Murgatroy
09-17-2009, 04:07 AM
Struts and or strut mounts.

Shadowlife25
09-17-2009, 04:29 AM
Agreed ^^

Also, if you ARE going to replace the struts, do the mounts also. Even if they don't "look" bad. They are probably on their way by this point. Strut tops run about $70 a piece for the fronts. Rear I am not sure, but expect about the same.

rizin
09-17-2009, 04:33 AM
Bushings, engine mounts. I would not say the struts them self. Is it louder in the back of the car or front? Most rubber parts on a car isolate road noise from the interior. So I would start checking out the rubber peices that keep the springs from the strut mounts. Sorry don't know the name for them.

Galcobar
09-17-2009, 06:07 AM
The rubber pieces Rizin mentions are spring seat insulators, there's six on a fifth-gen Celica. Two on each front strut, while the rears only use insulators on the bottom.

Strut mounts can probably be had for even less than US$70; KYB from Rockauto run US$50-60. I spent almost as much per insulator as I did per strut mount, but then it was from a Canadian dealer which is a double-price whammy.

Combining old struts and mounts with lowering springs does make for the most likely candidate. I wonder, though, perhaps it's a bearing or two. Does is sound akin to a barrel of sand being rolled down your driveway?

rizin
09-17-2009, 06:33 AM
Thank you for helping with that. A way to question if it is a wheel bearing with out lifting it up is when you turn does it get louder. I would swerve side to side. If the noise was louder swerving then I knew it was time to lift the car to check the bearings for slop.

KoreanJoey
09-17-2009, 07:11 AM
You guys also need to understand that a failing bearing may not always have slop on that plane. It's almost impossible to check the fronts because you've also got the drivetrain to impede you but on the rears you can remove whatever brake components you need to (rotor or drum) and get to the hub/bearing assembly and turn it by hand. If you feel any rough spots it's time to replace it.

Shadowlife25
09-17-2009, 10:27 AM
You guys also need to understand that a failing bearing may not always have slop on that plane. It's almost impossible to check the fronts because you've also got the drivetrain to impede you but on the rears you can remove whatever brake components you need to (rotor or drum) and get to the hub/bearing assembly and turn it by hand. If you feel any rough spots it's time to replace it.

Basically same as we did out at the yard in Tenn. last year right Joey? :)

solarinsocal
09-18-2009, 05:11 PM
I would be inclined to think that your wheel bearings will need to be replaced. Good luck.

Fuelish
09-18-2009, 09:26 PM
Shitty (and not so shitty) tires can also be noisy, depending on the physical road surface. My brother had a Saab that he put I-dunno-what tires on it .... quiet as a whisper on blacktop ...... made-ya-wanna kill-somebody-noisy on older surfaces (cement/concrete ???? .... whatever the older sections of I-95 are made of)...

KoreanJoey
09-19-2009, 07:38 AM
Basically same as we did out at the yard in Tenn. last year right Joey? :)

Exactly.

PS: That was still this year. :)

Shadowlife25
09-19-2009, 09:09 AM
This year, last year.... :p

AznKlique
09-19-2009, 11:48 PM
Oh man, at this point I don't feel like spending so much money on this old car. Thanks for all of the input! I ended up buying new struts and 2 front strut mounts. If this doesn't cure the fix, I'm selling the car.

It doesn't sound quite like a barrel of sand rolling down the driveway, more of just a loud resonating noise, as if I had really LOUD tires. Kind of hard to explain, I suppose. I do notice that the sound subsides slightly when I make turns. Kind of opposite of diagnosing a bad bearing...

AznKlique
09-20-2009, 12:00 AM
Oh crap, I think it is my wheel bearings. I just read somewhere online that bad bearings can cause a loud hum and the sound can subside slightly when swerving. That's just great! I just spend over 250 dollars on struts and strut mounts!

88st165
09-20-2009, 08:25 AM
Get the bearing at autozone, prob around $40. If you dont know anyone with a press Im pretty sure D&S will do it for pretty cheap, they're in Posen.

wizzards581
09-20-2009, 09:50 PM
i vote to check for bearings.

GT4SOM
09-21-2009, 12:12 AM
It was your bearings. They are 40 bucks a piece. Figure out which ones are shot. Pull the hub and take it with the bearing to be pressed in. Mine was bad, it was such a relief when I fixed it. It was quite annoying when they made that humming sound.

KoreanJoey
09-22-2009, 12:26 AM
PS: make sure the hub is ok as well.