PDA

View Full Version : knock sensor..

lees celica st185
09-16-2009, 09:08 PM
hi. has any body had any experiance with the knock sensor. : :wtf: . i have just finished re-building my engine.. it went really good. except the start , it went for a rebore and when it got back the knock sensor snapped in to :thumbsdow .. not sure how but i got a new one.. now every time i drive some where the engine light comes on with an error 52 code. knock sensor. i no it is obviously a broken sensor(well im hoping its a broken sensor)but i was wondering what else to check as i carnt find out much about it.. any help appreciated thanks

Luni
09-16-2009, 09:15 PM
52 is either broken sensor, or short in knock sensor wiring.

Generally the easiest way to tel with a toyota KS if its bad, is to take it out, and shake it. If it audibly has a piece rattling in it, its bad. If it doesnt, then it might just need to be rewired.

Pull it out and shake it.

Then, if it doesnt rattle, Ill tell you how to rewire it.

BabyBear
09-16-2009, 09:16 PM
Your car is gonna run like ass till you get a new knock sensor. You should be able to find a used one cheap at mr2oc.com.

lees celica st185
09-16-2009, 09:30 PM
thats a bit of usefull info about shakin it.. thanks for that.. what is the easiest way of getting to it.. i really dont want to remove engine again as its only just gone in..thanks for the help

lees celica st185
09-16-2009, 09:34 PM
hi m8.. the car revs and ticks over great.. it dosnt miss a beat. it has only drove 3 miles since it was done. it went for a mot and back.. it only seems to come on when it revs steadily at 1800rpm. or a couple of mins driving up and down street.. i have to run it in so i carnt drive it mad

BabyBear
09-16-2009, 10:08 PM
fyi, what I meant by run like ass was it not making any power. Removing the knock sensor is pretty easy, at least on an MR2, not sure about a Celica. Its right under the intake manifold, you should be able to get to it with your car on jacks, just unplug the wire and use a 27mm socket to remove.

lees celica st185
10-10-2009, 05:36 PM
hi luni . just want to say that you were 100% right with the knock sensor.. when i removed it ,i gave it a shake ,and there was the rattle. new knock sensor fitted and car back to normal.thanks for ur knowledge.very usefull. bit of a pain to get to though, had to get it by removing drivers side wheel. nothing from underneath everything in the way,.many thanks lee