PDA

View Full Version : 1989 ST Driveshaft

rookie206
09-14-2009, 10:42 PM
Hey guys, I am almost complete with my swap. I need a Front Driverside Driveshaft and have been looking for one at my local Auto Parts Store. Unfortunately, they only have ones for GT or GTS models. Does anyone know where I can find one or if that will work for me? Thanks in advance.

Murgatroy
09-14-2009, 11:09 PM
The GT model will be the same.

Same engine, same transaxle.

Grot
09-14-2009, 11:11 PM
:stupid:

4thgenceli
09-15-2009, 12:24 AM
I wouldn't go with ST/GT axles. IIRC you did the 3sgte swap. I'd drop in the 3sge axles from the GTS.

CriScO
09-15-2009, 07:27 AM
Murgy's the winner.

Are you using the original transaxle? If so you have to use the ST/GT CV axles. GT-S won't work.

The ST and GT do have the same transaxle, and take the same CV's. If that parts store actually lists them as different, don't shop there.

rookie206
09-15-2009, 11:49 PM
I am using the original Transaxle. As for the engine, I just went with the 3SFE for standard use and nothing too complicated. And for the part, I will most likely go to my nearest Napa Store and buy the part there. I don't think they mentioned it as separate parts. Thanks again

Crazy_88
09-17-2009, 02:32 AM
If you have the 3sfe stick with the axles for that trans. gt and gts are different. gts are longer.

CriScO
09-17-2009, 05:50 AM
If you have the 3sfe stick with the axles for that trans. gt and gts are different. gts are longer.
Not exactly, it's a little deeper. They are longer, but the main difference is in the mounting. The 3S-FE version uses two equal length shafts that bolt to the transaxle. The center shaft is seperate, made to stay inside the transaxle. S53's mounted to the 3S-FE were the only version of that transaxle to have this setup.

The "true" version of the S53(the one used on everything else) has the center shaft attached to the right hand CV.

So the outboard side of all the axles are the same length, it is the same chassis. The inbound sides differ.