PDA

View Full Version : seafoam rules

DaneDog311
09-12-2009, 02:00 AM
Yo guys... I just want to let you know I seafoamed my 206k mile 89 vert today... against popular belief to not to do it to cars over 150k it did not hurt my car but holy shit did it feel like it made the car have like 20 more hp afterwards.. I now stand 100% behind this stuff!

Just had to throw that out there

celica91gts
09-12-2009, 10:54 AM
sounds good man. i tried that on my first engine and it also felt a lot better. didn't bog as much and warming up my car in the morning smelt much healthier. my current engine feels fine so i dont want to seafoam unless i feel the need to but i'm defiantly gona try bg 44k soon. this thread inspired me to try it.

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38150&highlight=seafoam

Galcobar
09-13-2009, 01:49 AM
Keep an eye out for any oil leaks -- that's the main danger with older engines, the carbon deposits which might have been plugging leaks are removed by Seafoam.

Hipster Lawrence
09-13-2009, 02:33 AM
I think he's refering to running seafoam through the intake. I don't see that causing oil leaks. I don't agree with the seafoam instructions on adding it to engine oil anyway.

Whenever I get a new car I clean the throttle body really well with a baby bottle brush and intake cleaner spray. Be sure to get both sides of the throttle plate and the edges too. After that put seafoam into a vacuum tube thatfeeds all the runners but NOT the brake booster line. Try to find one closeto the Tb but behind the actual throttle plate. I'd gurantee a 5-10 hp increase in power in my 16v 4age after seafoam and cleaning the throttle. Better than most bolt ons and less that 20 bucks.

CriScO
09-13-2009, 09:32 AM
Just remember everyone - your car will smoke worse than NK's Duramax for a while after you do this.

Shadowlife25
09-13-2009, 11:17 AM
Also note: DO NOT DO THIS ON A VEHICLE THAT NEEDS A WORKING CATALYTIC CONVERTER FOR EMISSIONS.

Hipster Lawrence
09-13-2009, 01:31 PM
I've never heard that it will damage the cat I've had concerns about the o2 sensors though

4thgenceli
09-13-2009, 02:57 PM
I've never heard that it will damage the cat I've had concerns about the o2 sensors though
Correct.

I ran it on my old 3sfe. I smoked out my o2 sensor, but CAT was undamaged.

When I did it on my buddies older shadow, we pulled the o2 sensor, replaced it with a junkyard one, ran seafoam, then put the good sensor back in.

nyana107
09-13-2009, 03:51 PM
i ran seafoam on my celica a few years ago. it had 240xxx miles. check the siggy. i miss my car :(

rizin
09-14-2009, 05:15 AM
I know that a plugged egr on a automatic honda will kill it at idle. So I would clean it and the port into the intake. I know when I took my egr off my 5s intake it had a hole that was only about a 1/16th of an inch. 200,000+ miles.

Shadowlife25
09-14-2009, 09:44 AM
It depends on the amount and the way it is introduced. It can very easily kill a catalytic converter.

Kastigir
09-14-2009, 09:50 PM
It depends on the amount and the way it is introduced. It can very easily kill a catalytic converter.
How about 1 can in a full tank of gas?

Hipster Lawrence
09-14-2009, 11:51 PM
How about 1 can in a full tank of gas?

Probably a waste of money.

Shadowlife25
09-15-2009, 02:27 AM
Probably a waste of money.

Yep.

No offense to anyone that really likes this product, but I personally never recommend it. Almost no one uses it properly and then wonders why their engine is running like garbage afterward.

I guess it all depends on the general condition/mileage of the individual engine as far as things leaking like mad. It's a gamble either way.

Let's be honest here, it isn't magic in a bottle. To expect that is just nonsensical. Used properly, I suppose it can have some benefit, but if you are the type that neglects regular maintainance and expect something you pour in to fix it.....

Get used to disappointment.

Car_Barn_Bandit
06-26-2010, 02:56 AM
I'm going to be Seafoaming the 91' GTS tonight. STP fuel additives are for gas, $7 a quart on Mobil 1 is used for oil and some good petroleium distalates will be added via vacuum to the intake. I plan on killing the O2 sensor in the process, which is why I have a new one to install. Head was rebuilt recently and gaskets are new, I just need to do some combustion cleaning.

Murgatroy
06-26-2010, 03:59 AM
I love Seafoam. It is magic in a bottle. When I run it through my car, all my neighbors come out to watch.

Honestly, I have never run it through Chaos. Mudhoney and the Corolla, yes.

I might run some through my new project though.

85gtsblackman
06-26-2010, 04:18 AM
basicly seafoaming a vehicle is the same thing as toyotas fuel induction service

Car_Barn_Bandit
06-26-2010, 05:17 AM
I keep it out of my crankcase and my fuel, but its great at cleaning out deposits. I do it a little at a time, instead of going for the neighbor drawing cloud. Although I did get a few people to stop and laugh about using it.

Results: Smooth idle and my throttle doesn't feel like I'm nagging a mule to get moving anymore. I used a 3rd of a can in the blow-by port on the intake. Took a minute to clear the port that was gunked up before it started flowing nice. I let it sit and then blew in a good amount of Deep Creep in through the throttle opening. 10 min sit, nice smoking run, then hit the freeway. Mild hp gain, could def feel it accelerate better in 4th and 5th. Starting from standing and going into 2nd made my week.

burnyd
06-26-2010, 06:01 AM
meh, I had nothing but luck.. I ran it about 2 months ago?

Just undo the vac line that goes into the break booster and feed it about a 1/3 of the bottle maybe a bit more.

Mr Celica
06-29-2010, 02:59 AM
i did this to my car... im guessing the carbon was the only thing keeping the seals and piston rings together.. i blow blue smoke out and go through about 1 quart of oil in ten minutes. luckily i have another car, and this is more reason to finish my build...

ive tried it a few times, down the road here and there to see if maybe it'd fix itself.. but im guessing its toast... at 150k miles it sure did take a beating :( RIP 5sfe hello 5SFTE

Car_Barn_Bandit
06-29-2010, 03:06 AM
I know all the seals were done within the last 10,000 km so I wasn't worried blowing something bad. Just needed to be cleaned.

Mr Celica
06-29-2010, 03:24 AM
yeaaaaa, i just did the cam seals and all that junk last year.. piston rings on the other hand.. those were going for a while... lol