PDA

View Full Version : Hot wheel and high pitched noise

Simonhla
09-09-2009, 11:56 PM
So I had my rotors and brakes done last November. In the last week or two the car has been making a very high pitched noise when braking. This noise continues at low speed also. It gets worse the longer I drive the car.

I checked the wheels after I drove and found that one of the rear rims is red hot (right hand side) the others are all normal temperature. What is causing this problem and what do I need to do about it. Also is it urgent to have it taken care of or can it wait a month or two? I'm buying a house right now so timing isn't great.....

I can do basic maintenance but have always shied away from brake bleeding etc. I am assuming of course that this is perhaps a caliper issue but would love more knowledgeable feedback. Thank you in advance for any edification.

beingblueeyes
09-10-2009, 12:49 AM
Sounds like that drum is out of adjustment or your having some kind of spring problem

JEDI
09-10-2009, 08:15 AM
I had this happen. The brake material from the shoe came loose and was rubbing the inside of the drum

Simonhla
09-11-2009, 02:08 AM
Interesting. I'm going to take the wheel off this weekend and see what I can figure out. I had a slight shudder from the steering wheel today during low speed turns. That has me really worried. By the evening it had gone away.......Might have to take it in for a check up but I am always wary of getting ripped off.

85gtsblackman
09-11-2009, 08:41 AM
92-93 celica gt's have disks on the rear

i think you have a sticking caliper and/or bad wheel bearing, if you want to save some dough i can pm you how to do a brake job.

the fluid has probally boiled as well so your going to want some of that as well, anything below dot 5 is good

Galcobar
09-11-2009, 09:49 AM
Agreed, sounds like a stuck caliper -- I'd lean towards that rather than a bad bearing because the noise is described as high-pitched.

You do not want to wait. However, this will cost between US$40 and US$100, depending upon whether you rebuild or buy a remanufactured caliper (I'd go with an unloaded caliper, as it's easy to swap the brackets on the rears), and how high a grade of brake fluid you use (DOT3 is standard and entirely acceptable for street use).

MCcelica
09-11-2009, 06:41 PM
Glacobar is money. Dont wait a month or two to fix it unless you want the repairs to be 20x more expensive.

Simonhla
09-11-2009, 11:29 PM
Agreed, sounds like a stuck caliper -- I'd lean towards that rather than a bad bearing because the noise is described as high-pitched.

You do not want to wait. However, this will cost between US$40 and US$100, depending upon whether you rebuild or buy a remanufactured caliper (I'd go with an unloaded caliper, as it's easy to swap the brackets on the rears), and how high a grade of brake fluid you use (DOT3 is standard and entirely acceptable for street use).

Ok. I am planning to do this myself then asap. Where can i get the caliper from? Your help here is like gold dust.....What is an unloaded caliper?

I need an idiots guide here.....

Slider
09-12-2009, 02:33 AM
An unloaded caliper is that comes without pads. A loaded one comes with pads. Most auto stores carry the calipers, most likely they will have to be special ordered and you'll have to pay refundable core charge. You get your core charge back when you bring in your old caliper. Napa, O'Reilly's, Lee Auto Parts, Autozone are some examples. I like Autozone because they have a lifetime warranty on most parts and they have your info in the system in case you lose your receipt, prices are pretty good too. I bought a part at another store and it went out within a year, I was SOL because I lost my receipt.

Galcobar
09-12-2009, 10:10 AM
Properly there are three levels of calipers sold.

Loaded: caliper, with caliper bracket and pads
Semi-loaded: caliper with bracket
Unloaded: caliper only

However, I've found recently some auto stores are selling "loaded with no bracket" or "unloaded with bracket." Check your pads before you buy, but if you caught the problem quickly they should be okay (I might scuff them with an 200-grit sandpaper to remove any possible glazing).

You mentioned you'd had the pads replaced in November, so I'd be comfortable buying a caliper with pads as the wear difference should not be too great (this depends of course on your driving) if they are damaged or severely worn on the seized caliper. Alternately, you could buy a new set of pads. 1sttoyotaparts sells for only US$40.

Simonhla
09-12-2009, 08:54 PM
Where's the best place to get calipers? Can i pick them up at Autozone or Pepboys etc? Is all I need the make and model of my car?

EDIT: Just saw Slider's post. I guess autozone it is then. How much are they likely to run me in terms of cost that is?

Galcobar
09-13-2009, 01:48 AM
US$50-$100, depending upon what load level you choose, plus the refundable core charge.

Slider
09-13-2009, 02:41 AM
Oh yeah almost forgot, to check the wheel bearings lift up the car and see if you can get the wheel to wobble by hand. There shouldn't be any play.

Simonhla
09-13-2009, 09:32 PM
Much obliged. Thanks guys. I'll let you know how it goes.

85gtsblackman
09-14-2009, 06:14 AM
pmed back, sorry about the wait been busy

get one of these as well

http://i.ebayimg.com/06/!BY9hyhQCGk~$(KGrHgoOKkYEjlLmY4pPBKk(yBiwRQ~~_12.J PG

rizin
09-14-2009, 07:36 AM
Well I read the thread quickly is he getting uneven pad wear? If so you can also look into getting caliper bolts. I know on my GT when I got it the bolts were dry wouldn't let the caliper float. So I too 2000 grit sand paper to them and then lubed them up with no problem.

KoreanJoey
09-14-2009, 08:09 AM
Could still be the e-brake assembly as well, the shoe might not let go.

Simonhla
09-14-2009, 04:12 PM
Could still be the e-brake assembly as well, the shoe might not let go.

Ha! You know for a while now, like perhaps a year, the brake light comes on, on the dash. I dismissed it as an electrical issue. Recently it has been randomly popping up more but it goes off after a few seconds so I never think much off it, not least because I have checked the e-brake isn't on. It is only in the last two weeks that I've been hearing the noise which is probably why I didn't look into this.

So....how would that change things for me?

Slider
09-14-2009, 08:46 PM
It wouldn't change it at all. The light can come on if the fluid is low or if the handbrake is up. The brake light will come on if the handle is physically up. Sometimes the contacts can act up on the handbrake though and the light can come on because of that.

bobblyhead
09-15-2009, 07:12 PM
I had a strange noise from my front wheel, like a high pitch noise, and i swear i saw some white smoke for a bit, after I rotated my wheels. My thought...my wheels where not as balanced...or my brake rotors were not balanced...as the celica's rotors are held in by the lug nuts. I took the wheel off and made sure that everything was balanced and tighten accordingly...no problems after that. No noise. Hope this helps.

Simonhla
09-28-2009, 05:23 PM
Thanks to everyone who responded.

So I checked the bearings, seemed fine.

I pulled the back wheels off and found that the rotors were very chrystallized. The pads were also very, very worn even though they are slightly less than a year old. Anyway, I had a mechanic resurface my rotors, I replaced the pads and so far I am having no more noise/problems. He looked at the calipers and said it was hard to tell if there was any issue but that it didn't look like it. He took them off and did something with the bolts. All seems to have helped.

We'll see how long that lasts!