PDA

View Full Version : PROJECT: Beauty from the Beast

Shadowlife25
09-07-2009, 09:23 AM
Hey everyone! :D

As some of you know I have recently acquired an 1988 ST165.

I also last week picked up it's twin(ish) parts car.

Here are a few pictures. Nothing special as of yet, but I have not started work on this, so bear with me. ;)

Shadowlife25
09-07-2009, 09:53 AM
Here are a couple shots of the busted column/ignition assembly.

Shadowlife25
09-07-2009, 09:54 AM
One of the parts car

CriScO
09-09-2009, 07:39 AM
You know I ended up with like three grilles from TN if you need one. :)

Shadowlife25
09-09-2009, 09:16 AM
Haha, funny you mention that! I have 3 also. Only 1 is actually usable. Lol. :)

RedRkt01
09-09-2009, 05:53 PM
I have 4......You're both beat! Mario.....lemme know if you need anything. As soon as I move to my new place I am stripping one of my 165s.

Freshnicity
09-09-2009, 06:21 PM
Dope. Want some help with it?

Shadowlife25
09-16-2009, 12:29 AM
Red: I need an entire steering column assembly. Let me know when you get to getting around to it. :)

Fresh: Yes sir, I could for sure use a hand. :bigthumbu

Shadowlife25
09-16-2009, 12:31 AM
Ok, I have a slew of pictures from the last day or so.

Progress has been slow, but I am progressing. ;)

Shadowlife25
09-16-2009, 12:34 AM
The above were to show that I checked the head and verified that cam timing was correct.
I also showed the firewall behind the intake manifold because that's where the wiring harness was pinned. Total pain to get out, by the way.

Here are some more:

Shadowlife25
09-16-2009, 12:37 AM
Those were to show that I removed ALL the randomly thrown in parts that were living in the back.
I found a back seat in the parts car, so I went ahead and temporarily installed it so it didn't look so trashy and gutted. :)
I swapped over the transmission mounted shift cable bracket from the parts car and secured the shifter cables.

Shadowlife25
09-16-2009, 12:39 AM
My pay for the day: :hehe:

Shadowlife25
09-16-2009, 12:40 AM
Need to find out what these cut wires go to....

Shadowlife25
09-16-2009, 12:42 AM
The fruits of my labor....

I HAD to take everything out of the car, as I was madly searching for the key to the damn wheel locks. 3.5 hours later.... :sigh:

CriScO
09-16-2009, 07:43 AM
Now I really feel bad that I didn't get off my ass and clean out the coupe today... :)

RedRkt01
09-16-2009, 01:54 PM
Mario, where did you find this car? What is wrong with your steering column?

Shadowlife25
09-17-2009, 02:18 AM
See post #2 for pics of steering column. :)

The keys to the car were lost at some point and the column assembly was damaged.
Irreparably so. It will still steer, but there is no adjustment and no ignition switch, as the aluminum casting is broken off completely.

RedRkt01
09-17-2009, 02:27 AM
Yikes......after I move I'll be tearing that car down. The steering column is yours.

Shadowlife25
09-17-2009, 04:42 AM
Much appreciated sir, and best of luck with the move! :)

Honestly the lack of adjustment isn't horrible, but the fact that I'm 5'11" and it's all the way down does kinda suxxor. Sits across the top of my knee area.
Also, if the wife is gonna drive it, It needs to just "turn key and go" not have some bizarre multi-switch starting sequence. You know? :)

Oh! If when you get the column for me, I would be glad to compensate you for the complete lock set (doors,trunk,ignition) along with the keys. All the door locks were popped out as well as the trunk lock. You saw the ignition.... :sigh:

I picked up the tool I needed to remove the rest of the wheel lug nuts. 1/2" drive socket with a hex key on the end. Should do the trick and allow me to get the wheels off and axles changed out tomorrow. :bigthumbu

-Mario

rizin
09-17-2009, 05:44 AM
Hey man have fun with it. Is the wires black-yellow and black-white? if so vsv(turbocharging pressure control). If not I know it is black-white and yellow can not tell in pics waht they are? The car needs love that is for sure. Can't wait to see it evolve into a drivable car.

Shadowlife25
09-17-2009, 10:24 AM
Hey man have fun with it. Is the wires black-yellow and black-white? if so vsv(turbocharging pressure control). If not I know it is black-white and yellow can not tell in pics waht they are? The car needs love that is for sure. Can't wait to see it evolve into a drivable car.

Those are the ones. Thanks Kendall. :)

I pulled my MAC Tools Multi-meter out of storage today and have to continuity test the wiring harness tomorrow.

I need to be absolutely sure that it is still intact since it was pinned up against the firewall so much. The back of the intake manifold was resting on it and with all the broken motor mounts the weight of the engine was on it as well. I don't want to just put it back in if there is the possibility of broken wiring in there.
As you saw there are already things that were cut out or ripped off on it, so it's just better safe than sorry.

Axles are gonna be a pain to pull though. the halfshafts are disconnected and the bolts are missing, so I can't just use the axle itself as leverage.
The stubs are in the tranny on both sides. I'm not sure how I'm gonna get the car high enough to get a pry bar under there to pop them out. We'll see...

Shadowlife25
09-20-2009, 06:35 PM
So just out of curiosity I started doing some homework...

I think I may attempt to do a wire tuck in the engine bay.
I'm not positive on that yet, but I have seen what the result can yield.
I don't know if it's going to work out as I plan with a 3sgte in there though.
There are just so many sensors as well as vacuum lines that it leaves me worried for the result.

Does anyone know of an AllTrac with a wire tuck done to it?
I would love to see if it's attainable goal-wise.

Shadowlife25
01-19-2010, 12:49 PM
Getting closer to my goal here now.

Looking to purchase the engine and contact Dr.Tweak for the harness conversion. :)

VikingJZ
01-19-2010, 06:38 PM
Lookin' good sir!

What happened to the vert?

Shadowlife25
01-19-2010, 07:50 PM
Impounded.

RedRkt01
01-19-2010, 07:51 PM
Impounded.

How so?

Shadowlife25
01-19-2010, 08:00 PM
Lookin' good sir!

What happened to the vert?

Impounded.

How so?

That's pretty much it. Car is in impound yard. Has been and will stay there.
I don't have money or desire to F with it. If I had the title I would have fixed it. As it stands, I have better things to do. Let it rot/

VikingJZ
01-20-2010, 05:19 AM
Shame though. That could be a good car, and there are good parts on it.

Shadowlife25
01-20-2010, 08:11 AM
Ran like a bag of ass and was rattling itself to death anyhow.
No title = no care.

VikingJZ
01-20-2010, 05:39 PM
I'll buy it then! lol

Shadowlife25
01-31-2010, 11:26 PM
UPDATE:

I will be putting in a Gen2 WRC engine & transmission into the ST165.

Still needed are:

Radiator
Radiator Overflow
Steering column assembly
Front Turn signal assemblies
Side Markers

I have had zero luck in finding any Celicas in my local yards (within 1.5hr drive) much less a 4th gen.

If anyone has any of the listed parts for cheap let me know.
I am already strapped budget-wise, so my Diabetic ass is gonna be eating Ramen for the next month. :(

Anyhow, that is all for now.
I will update further once I know the engine set is mine.

- Mario

Shadowlife25
01-31-2010, 11:31 PM
Yikes......after I move I'll be tearing that car down. The steering column is yours.

Much appreciated sir, and best of luck with the move! :)
Oh! If when you get the column for me, I would be glad to compensate you for the complete lock set (doors,trunk,ignition) along with the keys. All the door locks were popped out as well as the trunk lock. You saw the ignition.... :sigh:-Mario

Any chance you have this yet Kevin?

4thgenceli
02-01-2010, 12:23 AM
Are you looking for st165 specific, or are any 16x acceptable?

There's a local toyota only salvage, and last time I was there had 4 rows of gen4's.

Shadowlife25
02-01-2010, 12:31 AM
Radiator I believe I will have to purchase a new ASI unit.

Turn signals and side markers I believe any 4th gen GTS would assuredly fit, so that would be the preferred one to get parts from.

Shadowlife25
02-01-2010, 12:43 AM
Complete WRC engine set purchased as of now.

Engine will arrive at Chico Race Works this week. (likely tomorrow)

I will purchase a clutch kit from Toyota or Exedy depending on ship time.

RedRkt01
02-01-2010, 02:48 PM
Any chance you have this yet Kevin?

I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing with that car. Even though it is the #3 Celica I own and far down on the priority list (behind the red rocket and the GT-Four) I'm really torn about what to do with it. I'd say don't count on me for that.

I will say that you can count on me for JDM front corners as I have a stash.

EDIT: I have JDM sidemarkers too. I'm working on JDM clear sidemarkers as we speak. As of now I have TOYOTA amber.

Freshnicity
02-01-2010, 08:46 PM
Mario where'd you end up getting the engine from? Sorry if you already said, havent been able to follow. Venus has them cheap right now.

And i have 2 4th gens in the yard by me, ill go check it tomorrow for you and let you know what they have.

Shadowlife25
02-02-2010, 06:41 AM
I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing with that car. Even though it is the #3 Celica I own and far down on the priority list (behind the red rocket and the GT-Four) I'm really torn about what to do with it. I'd say don't count on me for that.

I will say that you can count on me for JDM front corners as I have a stash.

EDIT: I have JDM sidemarkers too. I'm working on JDM clear sidemarkers as we speak. As of now I have TOYOTA amber.
Oh all right Kevin, no worries.
I'll find something eventually I guess.
PM me with my price for a set of corners and sidemarkers if you would.

Thanks

Mario where'd you end up getting the engine from? Sorry if you already said, havent been able to follow. Venus has them cheap right now.

And i have 2 4th gens in the yard by me, ill go check it tomorrow for you and let you know what they have.

Please do let me know what is there as I will be needing a few interior pieces as well.

I gave Josh at CRW the money and I believe he got it from Venus? :shrug:

joe's gt
02-05-2010, 12:47 AM
Complete WRC engine set purchased as of now.

Engine will arrive at Chico Race Works this week. (likely tomorrow)

I will purchase a clutch kit from Toyota or Exedy depending on ship time.

How the hell u passin smog foo?

Shadowlife25
02-05-2010, 01:19 AM
Slut Magic. ;)

Shadowlife25
02-05-2010, 03:41 AM
Trying to source engine mounts at the moment.
Possibly using poly for front and rear mounts.

Unsure if a 5g radiator will fit in the 4g.
Looking into it to determine which model I will purchase.

I will likely be swapping the head to a USDM version .
I will still need to source a USDM intake manifold (stock center-feed).
These items along with an EGR system will bring the engine into compliance with California emissions standards and make the swap CARB/BAR legal.

Wiring harness conversion (ST165 to ST185) I will probably have to do myself.
No big deal, it will just take longer.

Axles(front) need rebuilding, but I can do that no problem.
I actually already did, I just need to buy the boot clamps to finish the job and seal them.

I will also need new wheel bearings. These things are pricey.... $170 for a set (2 bearings) from 1stToyota.

That is all for now. :)

joe's gt
02-05-2010, 07:53 AM
Slut Magic. ;)

Well as a loyal member of your minion army I hope I am entitled to a hook up with this slut when the celi isn't a dd anymore and she wants more POWAH!!!

jaydog82
02-05-2010, 08:04 AM
check toyotapartscheap.com and toyotapartscenter.net for the bearings

Shadowlife25
02-05-2010, 09:00 AM
Well as a loyal member of your minion army I hope I am entitled to a hook up with this slut when the celi isn't a dd anymore and she wants more POWAH!!!

She'll be all yours bud. :D

darthripley
02-20-2010, 04:00 AM
i know Mafix used a 6th gen celica Koyo aluminum rad in his 4th gen & it looks great.
they aren't that expensive either especially compared to what a 5th gen Koyo rad costs.

there's an automagic 4th gen gt-s in the junkyard we go to - it's red & hasn't had too much stripped off it, at least the couple of times we've been there it's looked the same everytime.
it'll be a few months before we go junkyarding again but if there are any parts you need just PM me & i can look for them.

good luck with the project!

Shadowlife25
02-20-2010, 09:11 AM
Trying to source engine mounts at the moment.

SHOULD ARRIVE SOON?

Unsure if a 5g radiator will fit in the 4g.
Looking into it to determine which model I will purchase.

NOT WORRIED AS I MAY GET A FREE ONE.

I will likely be swapping the head to a USDM version .
I will still need to source a USDM intake manifold (stock center-feed).
These items along with an EGR system will bring the engine into compliance with California emissions standards and make the swap CARB/BAR legal.

HEAD WAS DRILLED FOR EGR.
IM WAS SWAPPED TO USDM.

Wiring harness conversion (ST165 to ST185) I will probably have to do myself.
No big deal, it will just take longer.

Axles(front) need rebuilding, but I can do that no problem.
I actually already did, I just need to buy the boot clamps to finish the job and seal them.

NO LONGER A CONCERN.

I will also need new wheel bearings. These things are pricey.... $170 for a set (2 bearings) from 1stToyota.
MAYBE< WE"LL SEE>

That is all for now. :)

Little update :)

Shadowlife25
02-20-2010, 09:35 AM
Some pics...

Shadowlife25
02-20-2010, 09:37 AM
A couple more...

Freshnicity
02-20-2010, 08:23 PM
niiiiice...

Now you..and Joe already has one..time for me to swap as well :)

Clean that thing up though Mario..its really showing its age.