PDA

View Full Version : Picked up another Celica tonight

VikingJZ
09-05-2009, 07:18 AM
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/1/5/8/3/img127.jpg

Its a 1983 GT coupe. Auto, 22RE. Complete car. The grille is off but was in the back seat and not damaged. Lenses are in perfect shape.

Not sure what is wrong with it, but it has newer tires on it and had been sitting back there for about six months.

He lost his job and might be losing his home and is selling many things. :/

He said there was coolant in the oil, so I'm going to say head gasket. Interior is very clean. No rips in the seats.

Has some rust. I have seen MUCH worse on a third gen.

Missing one center cap, but Turner is going to hook me up with one. Basically going to have a nice additional set of wheels for the car.

I don't know if I am going to part it out or what (Most likely)

Couldn't pass up a set of wheels with new tires and a chance to make some extra cash though.

I did get a nice big binder with receipts and records dating back to 1988 though....

85gtsblackman
09-05-2009, 10:47 AM
u finally got a 3rd gen and your gonna part it out. you fool

coolant mixed with oil could also be the timing chain ate though the cover. pull the valve cover and check

VikingJZ
09-05-2009, 03:38 PM
That's another thing the guy said...the cover.

No this car I don't even know is worth saving.

I mean...its a GT coupe....couldn't get much worse for a third gen I suppose.

We'll see. If it is the chain cover...I'll get a kit from eBay and fix it...maybe.

I don't know. But for $200 I can't complain

Murgatroy
09-05-2009, 05:14 PM
Why do you buy Celicas to condemn them?

A true enthusiast buys them to cherish and save.

Not condemn.

T-spoon
09-05-2009, 05:37 PM
I dunno, I'm an enthusiast but day-um that thing is ugly. I wouldn't part it out.. simply because I wouldn't buy it in the first place. Blech.

VikingJZ
09-05-2009, 06:10 PM
Why do you buy Celicas to condemn them?

A true enthusiast buys them to cherish and save.

Not condemn.

That's not true.

I have seen many people do this with all sorts of cars and are enthusiasts of said car.

But if that's your definition, so be it.

I am doing this to help me pay for school as well. I cannot have three cars. My parents are cool with doing part outs because it makes me money.

There are also things I can use for my first gen.

If it were a GTS hatch, I would undoubtedly try to do something with it.

I am also hooking a friend with an 85 GTS vert up with the front end because he hit a deer with his, so its not just me making money. There's good out of it too.

VikingJZ
09-05-2009, 06:11 PM
I dunno, I'm an enthusiast by day-um that thing is ugly. I wouldn't part it out.. simply because I wouldn't buy it in the first place. Blech.

The car is uglier than sin.

But, the tires are much better than the ones currently on my 76. I can also use the front sway bar as an upgrade.

Again, i can use things from this car that help me with my 76.

85gtsblackman
09-05-2009, 06:12 PM
not the black vert that had the electrical fire is it?

also i need the rocker panels off a vert

VikingJZ
09-05-2009, 07:11 PM
not the black vert that had the electrical fire is it?

also i need the rocker panels off a vert

Yes.

Jason sold it to our friend who needed a daily driver after his VW Beetle took a shit.

They fixed the wiring before he sold it.

Anthony then hit a deer with the car shortly there after and needs front end parts.

VikingJZ
09-05-2009, 11:53 PM
Grrr

I was going to get it today, but apparently AAA bumped us down to the five mile coverage plan.

We used to have the fifty mile, but when I called for the tow, the lady said they canceled it and may do so without notification.

I was really upset about that.

I bit the bullet and upgraded to the 100 mile plan, which takes 72 hours to take effect.

Looks like Wednesday morning I'll have it down here.

I have possession of the title, all keys, and bill of sale, along with the binder of records.

MCcelica
09-06-2009, 03:06 AM
You got a problem with coupes? Bish? Huh? What?

VikingJZ
09-06-2009, 05:07 AM
LOL no not really.

I just think the third gen coupe is the ugliest Celica made. Probably a tie between that and the second gen hatch.

Shadowlife25
09-06-2009, 12:18 PM
LOL no not really.

I just think the third gen coupe is the ugliest Celica made. Probably a tie between that and the second gen hatch.

Agreed. Not much in the looks department. Great mechanical reliability though. :)

Murgatroy
09-06-2009, 01:41 PM
I don't mind a 3rd Gen Coupe. I prefer the liftback more. I will admit that I have a bit of a weakness to the prefacelift headlights though.

alistair
09-06-2009, 06:32 PM
The lights are nice, but it certainly does look like an early 80's car.

VikingJZ
09-06-2009, 07:42 PM
Agreed. Not much in the looks department. Great mechanical reliability though. :)

Oh hell yeah!

I'm sure its either the head gasket or the chain through the cover.

I'll figure out more this week.

I'm just not sure I want to throw money at it and still have a broken car.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a third gen GTS hatch I guess.

Third gens are hard to find around here. I saw a MINT...and I mean MINT...85 GTS hatch on campus last semester. I left a note (don't condemn me Spoonman...lol) seeing if he wanted to sell it.

He called and said yes though for $3,000.

He knew what he had.

But anyway...I need a front sway bar for my upgrade. Since there aren't any in local yards, I would have had to spend about $100 shipped for one from someone else. I needed new tires for my 76 as well...would have spent $200 on new tires. Now I have a set of new tires AND rims.

Can't beat that. It was worth if in that respect. And I think I can make some extra money on it as well.

The thought did cross my mind to fix it and sell it for cheap on one of the Celica boards.

Only has 155 on the ODO.

MCcelica
09-07-2009, 01:51 AM
LOL no not really.

Lol just checkin.

Cavanagh
09-07-2009, 07:33 AM
7MGTE time? :D

Nah, that thing is hideous, but if you can make a buck or two off it, cool!

85gtsblackman
09-09-2009, 09:34 PM
155, yeah the chain probally went

to do the chain the right way you will need a chain master kit (chain, guides, water pump, oil pump, chain cover, and gaskets), also you will need to get a set of head bolts and a headgasket.

cbarett251
09-14-2009, 03:31 AM
Yeah, Joe nailed it. My money is on the chain. My 22re is still < 100 but I guarantee you I'll replace the chain before 120. Had to retighten the bolts on the Ujoint plate Friday night. I like my coupe, it may be ugly but it is fun. I'd hate the auto version though. I need new poly bushings.

andy
09-14-2009, 04:10 AM
chris dood bring that whip out son! i never see it rollin round. my first gen needs a budddy.

cbarett251
09-14-2009, 03:39 PM
chris dood bring that whip out son! i never see it rollin round. my first gen needs a budddy.
I'll roll out again in a couple of weeks. Last time you didn't bring the first gen though.

andy
09-14-2009, 05:12 PM
i know but now thats all ive been driving.

85gtsblackman
09-14-2009, 06:49 PM
on a unrelated note i was offered a sr5 ae86 coupe for 200 today that needs a clutch, im trying to resist having a 4th toyota

andy
09-14-2009, 08:02 PM
joe you know you want it after driving mine around

85gtsblackman
09-14-2009, 08:13 PM
id get it but i have no where to put it plus it needs a front end

andy
09-15-2009, 03:53 AM
parts is easy to find. swap your stx for a gts one.

85gtsblackman
09-15-2009, 04:55 AM
eh, gotta keep at least one car made in the 90s for now, it has all the creature comforts

listened to the rolla sounded like it had a knock, was hard to tell over the belts squeeling

dude did have a 3tc i could buy with the car though, id be nice but i like having 1 running car i can do normal maintaince to that gets 40ish mpg hwy

o btw guess what he got to replace his rolla

renegadex
09-21-2009, 04:02 PM
Hey Joe there is a 3rd gen gts vert in the junk yard over here, I wanted to get the rockers off of it, but they were riveted on. I may go back out there sometime and try to get them off. One of mine is rusting.

andy
09-21-2009, 04:29 PM
honda civic? joe when you gonna come stay again?

Tara
09-21-2009, 06:59 PM
Ew. I mean, I love the 3rd gen, but that one's ugly as sin. It's got the ugly headlights, it's a coupe, and the paint is hideous!

Good on you for picking it up to make a couple dollars.

85gtsblackman
09-21-2009, 08:55 PM
i still have those celica supra rockers that are in good shape

celica rockers are shorter than supra ones but if u get the vert rockers let me know

andy i gotta take vacation before the end of the year so im either going your way, tennessee or Georgia

edit: naw andy he bought a 83 celica gt-s

im supposed to rattle can it for 225