PDA

View Full Version : Steep Incline?

CriScO
09-02-2009, 03:59 AM
So I drove the hatchback for the first time in like a year today. A whole 30 feet or so. :hehe: Since our commercial business is kicking so much ass, we've got a lot more high level managers stopping by the store. That means I can't keep the car there much longer. Against company policy. I had to move her today because of an event the store's having tomorrow. Had to beg the owner of the body shop behind my store to let me park there until Thursday.

Anyway, I can keep her at my Grampa's house, but there's a problem. He has a spare driveway on the side of his house, but it was built poorly. Instead of grading the hill, it's got a good 30-45 degree angle at the entrance. Like this:
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/6/0/8/8/Driveway.gif

So what's the best way to get the car up there? Best idea I've got is the old "really big boards supported by other big boards" method. I'd like to avoid that if I can. Any suggestions?

(And no, selling the car is NOT an option. Dicks. :) )

Grot
09-02-2009, 04:13 AM
push it with another vehicle, or a tractor. use a spare tire to prevent damage.
just high rev it and it will make it.
mount a winch to tree at top of hill and pull it up.

CriScO
09-02-2009, 04:16 AM
Thing is the bumper will hit the incline before the wheels.

kungFUBAR
09-02-2009, 04:22 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qpx9c3zT6EY

Grot
09-02-2009, 04:25 AM
take off the air dam if it has one. when the bumper is about to hit put a skateboard to roll the bumper up and not scrape it. the back may need the same thing done.

The Captain
09-02-2009, 04:49 AM
Without spending a lot of $$, you're screwed.

Sell the car (I'm a dick) ;)

celica91gts
09-02-2009, 05:44 AM
dude... not only will getting on the drive way be hard. do you think your car would clear the middle of the driveway and get onto that flat surface? just drive sideways to get on but i donno about the middle part.

Tecker184
09-02-2009, 06:28 AM
what about goin up backwards?

kungFUBAR
09-02-2009, 06:36 AM
Ok, serious answer time.

The bigger problem you're going to have isn't getting the front/rear of the car up the hill, it's going to be clearing the crest with the middle of the car. you can take bumpers off and make ramps to get up the incline, but there's not much you can change about the middle of the car to get it to bend around a drop off like that.

RIalltrac
09-02-2009, 04:20 PM
have it towed there with a flatbed...probably the easiest way to get it there and not have to worry about getting over that incline.... .02 cents

MCcelica
09-02-2009, 05:43 PM
How about this...

Find a different place to park it...?

kungFUBAR
09-02-2009, 07:01 PM
You could try jacking up the car and add spring spacers, you might even be able to pull off the rally jump if they hold it up high enough...

...doooo eet :D

importrcr13
09-02-2009, 07:13 PM
Here's a fast and easy idea, rent a fork lift, put on auto extensions to the blades, lift the car up from the side, then drive it to the side of the parking spot, and set it down. BAM total 10 min ... unless you have an issue as far as going to the side of the parking spot... then ur pretty much screwed.

MCcelica
09-02-2009, 08:40 PM
How long is each section? At my house I'd hit the curb almost sideways, ease into the turn up the curb, then as the front went up, the back tire would almost be on. The instant the rear tire would start going up the curb, I turned it all the way over and let that last tire find its own way up. But it was only a small rise. Like if the incline was like 2 feet long it wouldn't have worked.

celica91gts
09-02-2009, 08:53 PM
dude, this is too much trouble. renting a fork lift or flat bed tow truck everytime is ridiculous. find a different place to park or ask your grandpa to park there and you take his spot?

Ryan
09-02-2009, 10:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qpx9c3zT6EY

THIS!!!!!

Luni
09-03-2009, 12:33 AM
Your initial idea is correct.

Use boards with boards to get the angle you need.

Its how I had to get my 7th gen onto the trailer when I moved it to my GFs driveway.

Boards with boards is the ticket.

Trance4c
09-03-2009, 01:55 AM
THIS!!!!!

jessuuusss!!!

Nitro_Alltrac
09-03-2009, 01:56 AM
I agree with Luni. The board idea is probably the cheapest route.

Or like somebody else already mentioned have it hauled on a rollback. They should be able to get it where you need it.

rizin
09-03-2009, 04:26 AM
like Luni said boards but the crest would be a fun one just get the front tires over it untill you almost high center it. Then you need to find a way to raise the rear and roll forward on boards. Maybe if you could get enough room from backing onto ramps in the rear then adding boards with supports. Another way is to just get to the crest with the front tires then build ramps under the rear of the car with boards to keep it from high centering. But with out being there and seeing that is all I could think.

geebes
09-03-2009, 06:22 AM
What about approaching the driveway at an angle? Is it wide enough?

We need pics of this unreasonable driveway. Can you park on the lawn or drive on the lawn to get up there?

CriScO
09-03-2009, 08:53 AM
First, I hate you all. :D

Second, the angled section is about 4-5' long.

Third, heading in sideways is not an option. One side is a concrete wall with a 4' chain link fence, the other is a 6' wood fence he just put in because his neighbors kept driving up it and thrashed the rock bedding he had on that side.

However, some good news, I was looking at it a little bit yesterday and the angle doesn't look as steep as I remember. I actually think there's a chance I can back up it without scraping(much)/high centering.

I remember having some pics of the hatchback outside that driveway (years ago, before the second fence). I might dig them up.

balang_479
09-03-2009, 01:24 PM
1st idea.

get 2 really strong long planks of wood and make our own ramp.

2nd idea.

Remove front bumper, push front wheels up the hill, then when the center undercarriage is about to foul, add a plank of wood the the back wheels to clear it... done.

T-spoon
09-03-2009, 04:13 PM
Chinook that bad boy in and drop it in place!

MCcelica
09-03-2009, 07:42 PM
On my driveway I had more problems backing in with the front end dragging on the road than just pulling in forward. And when I said sideways, I meant on an angle. If you've got enough space between said fences and the street (like a sidewalk), you'll have enough room. Hit it on an angle with front pass side first, then rear pass, crank it over to front driver, then hard over to get that rear driver tire up.

85gtsblackman
09-04-2009, 08:56 AM
if you had 2 really big tires/wheels to put on the back as yor backing it in that would help