PDA

View Full Version : dirty carpet

a7x_pwns
12-06-2004, 02:44 AM
i dont know what tha hell the previous owner did in the back of my car but thers dark spots of god knows what all over teh back of my car, on the seats and carpet...is there a way i can fix it or what. also the previous owner left the sunroof open when it rained and my front seats have this weird dark brown stain on them...any tips?

ibanezgfx
12-06-2004, 06:46 AM
i took my seats out and took a little green clean machine in there and cleaned them up really good. i was going to scotch guard too but forgot. that little thing seemed to work pretty well for me. i did the seats and all with it.

Hooligan
12-06-2004, 01:37 PM
Try wetting the spots with Tuff Stuff and then scrubbing them with a soft brush or a towel. If that doesn't work, it's time to try something along the lines of a steamer. Stains like you are describing are often cola or soda of some sort.

MoralWarfare
12-06-2004, 03:26 PM
I've had excellent luck with Blue Coral carpet cleaning products. Get the one with the brush top if possible, and spray the cleaner all over the spots. Rub with the brush, wait a minute or so, and scrub out with a towel. If this doesn't work, i'd do as Hooligan suggests and use a steamer, which can be rented or purchased at any home improvement store if i'm not mistaken.

a7x_pwns
12-06-2004, 09:11 PM
ah ok thanks guys, i think i'll go with the steamer first.

Blackcloud
12-06-2004, 09:15 PM
i take my shampooer to mine.. works great and its crazy how much black shit comes out of the carpet

Hooligan
12-06-2004, 09:27 PM
ah ok thanks guys, i think i'll go with the steamer first.

If you're going to rent a steamer, you might as well clean the whole car. Get some carpet shampoo and spray it sparingly on the upholstery and carpet. Use a soft brush and work the shampoo into a lather. Use the steamer to pull out all of the lather and dirt. Like PC says, you will be amazed by how much crud you pull out.

Blackcloud
12-06-2004, 09:37 PM
make sure its a warm day out too.. if its cold you will never get all the water out of yoru seats and carpet

carlosfandango
12-06-2004, 09:41 PM
to dry it out, after extracting as much as you can with the steamer (if it has good extraction) use old towels and rub away, you will also be surprised how much dirty water is left on the fabrics/carpet by the machine. then, with the windows open an inch, turn the heater up to max temp and max blow and leave the car idling for 15 mins, if you have climate control - use the de humidifier. taking the seats out isnt necessary but if you want a real ggod job, its worth the extra time. you can also clean the head liner and sun visors at the same time, even the parcel shelf, dont forget the door cards too. Add a odour neutraliser to the water mix and you'll have a very fresh smelling auto for at least 6 months too without the need for air fresheners. then definately scotch guard it. imho, if your gonna do it, do it once properly and it will last at least a couple of years with only localised spot cleaning thereafter with soap, water and a cloth.

Be careful with the steamer on the head lining as it can delaminate the glue and it will sag, too much heat. just a damp soapy cloth normaly gets the minor dirt off. dont rub too long in one place if you have any nasty head liner stains as it will shine up the area, more detergent is required for these areas rather than more rubbing.

let us know how you get on.

Hooligan
12-06-2004, 09:42 PM
make sure its a warm day out too.. if its cold you will never get all the water out of yoru seats and carpet

If it's a cool day, you can park your car somewhere with the engine running and the heat on full blast and it will eventually dry out. We did this at the dealership I worked at during the colder months since we didn't have the bay space to have several cars sitting and drying out.

jai
12-06-2004, 10:22 PM
I know local grocery stores by my side rent those 'rug doctor' machines for like 20 bucks a day. I rent the added 5 dollar accessory part whenever i rent the machines. The handheld devise is great for fabric seats and mats. I've tried it myself and its does do a world of wonders. For tought stains use 'tuf-stuff' that thing works!

fiveSFE
12-07-2004, 02:54 AM
yea it works good, i use it for my whole car even the roof

Toyota_Todd
12-07-2004, 12:42 PM
I know some local guys that will remove the carpet from the car and take it to the DIY car wash and pressure wash it. It comes hella clean. It takes a while to dry out and it is more work, but it just depends on how dirty it really is.

MoralWarfare
12-08-2004, 09:31 PM
what was the turnout a7x?

a7x_pwns
12-08-2004, 10:02 PM
what was the turnout a7x?

i havnt tried it yet, i ran into a huge electrical/audio problem and that takes priority over dirty carpet but thanks for the tips guys! i will use em' when my other problems get solved

MoralWarfare
12-08-2004, 10:03 PM
anything i can help with?

Sean
12-09-2004, 03:54 AM
Somebody mentioned tuff stuff, that stuff is AWESOME! You can pick it up from walmart for dirt cheap, i use it EVERYWHERE!! Great great stuff!