PDA

View Full Version : 89 ST w/ no motor

rookie206
08-30-2009, 05:10 PM
Hey guys. I am new to this board and definitely learning the ways of putting together a car. I have an 89 4th Gen ST with no motor that I would like to have running sometime this week. Anyways, before doing so, I wanted to ask you all what is the best option is for me? The purpose of the car is to have it be my daily driver. I have looked and asked around and many people tell me to put in a 3S-GE motor in it. With that in mind, what are the difficulties I may face and other recommendations that people may have. Also, if people can give me a link to help with my, it would be very much appreciated! Thanks in advance and hope to get this car running by this week.

-Mark

4thgenceli
08-30-2009, 05:12 PM
First off Welcome!

Second, are you looking strictly for daily driving? If you just want daily driving with no goodies, find a 3sfe. that's the stock motor from your car.

For a lil' fun, throw in the 3sge. Not too hard to find, you'd just need to track down the ecu & harness as well (not too bad)

Also, is your car an auto or manual? That's another wall to cross there.

Crazy_88
08-31-2009, 12:47 AM
I second 4thgenceli.

3sfe for daily driver- its a fuel efficient tuned motor.
3sge for sporty but reliable
3sgte to kick some f^@king a$$

Murgatroy
08-31-2009, 03:44 AM
I am not sure about transmission compatibility between the 3SFE and 3SGE, the 4th gen got a bastard transmission that was different across the two engines. Crisco or Redrkt would be better able to tell the difference.

In order to swap a 1rst Gen 3SGE (the only one available in the NADM market) you would have to swap the ECU and rewire. It would be the same amount of work swapping in any later generations of the 3SGE as well.

The 3SGTE and several V6 engines will also bolt up to your transmission with minor work, however, they too will require wiring and an ECU to function.

In short, if you are looking to get this thing up and going fast, with few headaches and you don't have a massive budget, you want to drop another 3SFE in there, as it goes right in, bolts right up and doesn't require any changes.

CriScO
08-31-2009, 04:41 AM
Trans will bolt up. Main difference is the starter location and the axles. Shouldn't be any problem mating the 3S-GE block to the FE version of the tranny. The other way around gives you more issues.

Still, stick with the 3S-FE for a daily.

85gtsblackman
08-31-2009, 08:15 AM
other option would be to use a 90-91 5s bottom end and a 4th gen 3sfe top end

rookie206
08-31-2009, 05:50 PM
Thanks to all that responded! My car is a 5 speed and will get to work asap. From the sound of it, I will go ahead and save myself the headaches and put in the 3S-FE since I am limited to funds and really need the car running by this week since it's my only time off from work before school. Now, anyone in the Seattle area know of good locations to buy used motors? Thanks again in advance and hope to get some pictures posted asap!

Crazy_88
09-02-2009, 01:56 AM
Good luck. A jdm one shouldn't be more than 300 - 500 bucks. Try and bargin with them they will lower there prices. Especially if they dont sell that many.
Its a good time to do a clutch and throw bearing too.
Also check motor mounts.

rookie206
09-08-2009, 10:25 PM
found a motor at my local junkyard with 175 compressions all around for $450 but unknown mileage. found another location who sells motors, 55-60K miles for $650 w/ tax.

-Crazy_88: the clutch is not a year old on there and the motor mounts, I might purchase at my local Toyota Store! Thanks