PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it?

DudeMan
08-27-2009, 06:49 PM
Lately I've been stripping down the Four to fix it up. I was planning to pop the engine out for a rebuild and get any rust on the chassis fixed. But as I take the interior apart and remove body panels, it just looks worse and worse. Once again, I'm considering if its really worth fixing this car up.

After taking out the seats and carpet I was happy to find relatively rust free floor panels.

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk284/dudemanxl420/P8250046.jpg

I then notice a hole in the inside rocker panel and start digging in a bit. The rust has spread from the rocker to the fresh floor panel, leaving me with this.

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk284/dudemanxl420/P8250061.jpg

Outside view.

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk284/dudemanxl420/P8250059.jpg

After cutting some more of the rear quarter off.

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk284/dudemanxl420/P8250063.jpg

I then took the plastic cover off near the gas tank, saw some surface rust and gave it a little smack with my hammer and it went clean through.

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk284/dudemanxl420/P8250064.jpg

After that I went to the other side of the car, took the fender off and found this.

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk284/dudemanxl420/P8250067.jpg

So I have a few options. I can;

a) Continue stripping the car down and try to fix all the rust.
b) Continue stripping the car, part it out and look for another Four.
c) Put the car back together, sell it as is, find another Four.
d) Sell it, part it out, whatever. Save, save, save, buy a 205.

What do you guys think? I remember someone saying it would be easy to fix up my cars rust but I'm not sure if they really understood how bad it is.

I've been reading up on restoring cars and dealing with rust. Its pretty straight forward, you cut it out and weld on a new piece. I work in a sheet metal shop so I could possibly fab my own panels. If I can get all the rust out of the car, fab up some panels and then find someone to weld it all together would that be reasonable?

importrcr13
08-27-2009, 07:08 PM
So I have a few options. I can;

a) Continue stripping the car down and try to fix all the rust.
b) Continue stripping the car, part it out and look for another Four.
c) Put the car back together, sell it as is, find another Four.
d) Sell it, part it out, whatever. Save, save, save, buy a 205.

Its bad, but its not "unfixable"...

First you have to ask yourself "is this a car i can see myself keeping for life, or getting what i put into it, back out of it?"

If your answer is yes to either of those two, then i say GO FOR IT!

DudeMan
08-27-2009, 07:15 PM
I love the All Trac/GT-Four, if I get rid of this one I'll be looking for another one.

I'm just not sure if I should fix the one I have, or get rid of it and look for one with less rust. I'm into the car for about $5000, I know I won't get more than $3000 if I try and sell it as is so it just kind of sets me back further.

I work in a sheet metal shop so its possible I could fab my own panels, grind and cut as much rust off as possible and then find someone to weld the new panels on. I'm just not sure if I'm capable of something like that. I'm already taking a lot on by rebuilding the engine, considering I didn't even know how to do my brakes a few months ago. I'm wondering if I'm getting in over my head with the body work though.

importrcr13
08-27-2009, 08:25 PM
I love the All Trac/GT-Four, if I get rid of this one I'll be looking for another one.

I'm just not sure if I should fix the one I have, or get rid of it and look for one with less rust. I'm into the car for about $5000, I know I won't get more than $3000 if I try and sell it as is so it just kind of sets me back further.

I work in a sheet metal shop so its possible I could fab my own panels, grind and cut as much rust off as possible and then find someone to weld the new panels on. I'm just not sure if I'm capable of something like that. I'm already taking a lot on by rebuilding the engine, considering I didn't even know how to do my brakes a few months ago. I'm wondering if I'm getting in over my head with the body work though.

Well having said what you just said. My answer would be KEEP IT. First off you're already 2k upside down in what you COULD sell it for, which really is A LOT but you'd be wasting money if you sold it... you might have as well just taken the two grand and flushed it down the toilet ya know?

Also if you're not that experienced in this stuff, you will be by the time its over. That's the good thing about a project... you start off not knowing ANYTHING or little about it, then with the help of a lot of experienced techs here on this site, and books/manuals you end up becoming an expert or very close to it on your own car. Not to mention once you've done it, doing it again for future projects is that much easier.

IMO i'd say keep it. Worst case senario it'll take you a while to complete but look at all the experience you get a long the way... totally worth it...

DudeMan
08-27-2009, 08:35 PM
I think I have it figured out.

I'm keeping it, but as a beater winter car.

I'll take out the engine and rebuild it with stock parts to keep costs down. Then I'll do as much as I can to fix the rust, including cutting off old panels and fabricating my own. Give it a quick paint job and just drive it. If it doesn't turn out completely perfect, oh well, it will be a learning experience. That said I'm not just gonna load it with Bondo and settle for an orange peal paint job.

Once its on the road I'll sell the GTS, start saving and looking for another All Trac in better condition. Maybe a 205.

Its perfect. I'll have one Four to drive in the winter and beat the piss out of, and then a much nicer one to modify and love. It's so much fun to drive these cars in snow anyways. :wiggle:

dynamic73
08-28-2009, 04:51 AM
Yea since you work with metal. I think you should keep it. Your not going to get your money back out of it. If you try and sell it. So you might as well keep it. Then I think you should just tinker with it a little at a time. Keep it as a project beater car. Don't put much more money into it. Since it seem like you would like something a little nicer. Start saving and be on the look out. For either the same car in much better condition or a different car. Right now is the best time in the used car market. To find that car you always wanted.

acidice333
08-28-2009, 05:53 AM
Damn was hoping it would be parted so I could snag the drive train while I was in town ;)

VikingJZ
08-28-2009, 06:11 AM
If you know how and CAN fix it...KEEP IT.

Mafix
08-28-2009, 02:00 PM
keep it.

Ghosty
08-28-2009, 11:40 PM
Keep and fix.

You work with metal. It's a pretty intense job, but it's very doable. You'll gain a ton of experience, and that $2k won't be a waste. Take your time, though, do it right. Don't cut any corners.

DudeMan
08-29-2009, 12:23 AM
Cutting corners is actually the plan. This shell is too far gone, to properly fix it I would have to dismantle the entire car and spend thousands upon thousands to make it right. Its just not worth it.

That's why I'm just replacing some of the outer panels, if it starts to rust through again in a few years, oh well. The body work will only cost me maybe 500 bucks. I'm willing to put some money into the engine and drivetrain but that's it. It will be my winter car and kept mostly stock. As long as it gets me from A to B while I save up for another Trac I'm happy.

Hipster Lawrence
08-29-2009, 02:15 AM
I think I have it figured out.

I'm keeping it, but as a beater winter car.

I'll take out the engine and rebuild it with stock parts to keep costs down. Then I'll do as much as I can to fix the rust, including cutting off old panels and fabricating my own. Give it a quick paint job and just drive it. If it doesn't turn out completely perfect, oh well, it will be a learning experience. That said I'm not just gonna load it with Bondo and settle for an orange peal paint job.

Once its on the road I'll sell the GTS, start saving and looking for another All Trac in better condition. Maybe a 205.

Its perfect. I'll have one Four to drive in the winter and beat the piss out of, and then a much nicer one to modify and love. It's so much fun to drive these cars in snow anyways. :wiggle:

I think this is a wonderful idea. It's not like it's going to rust away to nothing any time soon as long as you address the rust as best you can.

DudeMan
08-29-2009, 12:33 PM
Yep, and if I see a shell for cheap one day I can scoop it up and swap parts, then toss this rusty shell. If not I'll just drive it to the ground and maybe part it out.

Otherwise I'm honestly thinking of getting a 205. I've seen two or three for sale in my province for $6000-$8000. I'm just not a fan of RHD.