PDA

View Full Version : Weiiiiirrrd issue

T-spoon
08-26-2009, 05:39 AM
So sometimes the Alltrac will give me no joy when I press the pedal. It feels like.. it has become gutless, like it's pulling timing, not boosting, etc. I don't have a boost gauge. The really odd thing though is that most of the time when it does this, the handbrake light comes on the dash. It's not low on brake fluid, and I don't feel brake dragging, it just won't accelerate well. Other times it drives just fine. Today when it did this hesitation and brake light, the turbo timer started counting down, then after a second clicked off and reset itself back to what it should be. I'm wondering if I've got some funky wiring going on. I didn't install the timer myself but up until this it has behaved normally. Any guesses with such a pitiful amount of information to work with?

Lagos
08-26-2009, 06:04 AM
sounds like a wiring issue with the turbo timer. get in there and check it out.

T-spoon
08-26-2009, 08:19 AM
Yeah, I'm just having trouble imagining what sort of thing could be doing that. The wiring for a TT is pretty darn simple and I wouldn't see how it would relate to engine performance, but I guess I'll see.

Shadowlife25
08-26-2009, 08:40 AM
Remove the TT and see if you still have issue.

andy
08-26-2009, 04:39 PM
i guess its a bad ground strap or battery somewhere

ChrisD
08-26-2009, 05:39 PM
Not sure if the specific TT might have a tie in to the hand brake signal so that it won't function without the brake up? Something funky going on for sure, could even be a faulty TT.

Ya check the wiring. Somebody probably made a mess of things.

Lagos
08-26-2009, 07:42 PM
Yeah, I'm just having trouble imagining what sort of thing could be doing that. The wiring for a TT is pretty darn simple and I wouldn't see how it would relate to engine performance, but I guess I'll see.

It ties into the ignition wiring, as well as the hand brake.
They probably didnt use a harness when they hooked it up, and since there is very little room there to do wiring something is either coming loose or was done incorrectly.

Mafix
08-27-2009, 01:56 AM
either the turbo timer OR the alternator starting to go.

T-spoon
08-28-2009, 03:43 AM
Have had no time to do anything with it, but another day of driving. It now bucks sometimes under partial throttle or high gear/low throttle more specifically. I assume that yes, it has a wire to the handbrake such that car shuts down when hand brake is down/released. The bucking was not accompanied specifically by brake light nor did changing load (headlights or no headlights) make it behave any differently. It's also a JDM 165 motor (swap done by previous owner(s), so yet more wiring that I haven't a clue about the condition of.

As far as alternator, I can see how losing electrical power could cause stumbling in the engine, but would I not see some kind of other symptom, like with accessories/lights etc.?

Mafix
08-28-2009, 02:03 PM
depending on how bad the voltage regulator is...
hell it might be overcharging everything. that makes all kind of crazy things happen. just find a little time and check the wiring on the TT and the voltage output of the alt at idle and at 2500 rpm.

T-spoon
08-31-2009, 06:04 PM
So Joel helped me out yesterday since I'm a bum and we pulled the codes since I hadn't yet. The engine light being on I figured was just from the EGR since it'd been that way since I got the car . Knock sensor, O2, AFM, EGR? There were four.. anyway.. took a better look at those areas and the middle TPS wire is chewed up badly. Looks like I need to fix some wiring and probably put in a new knock sensor.. possibly O2 though hopefully not both.

Shadowlife25
08-31-2009, 10:14 PM
So wait, you never actually pulled the codes before yesterday?

Hard fail.

T-spoon
08-31-2009, 10:28 PM
So wait, you never actually pulled the codes before yesterday?

Hard fail.

Heh, yes, yes I know. TBH I'd never pulled codes before, although I knew basically how to do it and could have looked up exactly how in any number of threads here. I'm not the kind of guy that likes trying to diagnose issues AT ALL. I did say it felt like timing being pulled, and knock sensor code agrees! :lolhittin

Shadowlife25
08-31-2009, 10:33 PM
Dammit Spoony! Well, at least it finally gut sussed out. :)