PDA

View Full Version : Crazy 88's 3S-FE

Crazy_88
08-10-2009, 12:04 AM
Hey i've been looking through these forums for a bit. I have a 88 gt. my step father ownes a engine machine shop and machined my 3sfe 5 years back now. I have had the car in storage for the past 3 years. anin now have time and some cash to get it running again.

My issues are performance. my step father doesn't klnow to much about toyota performance. so i was wondering if you guys could help me get this car to max potential.

I'll have to talk to him about what we did to the motor casue it was so long ago i dont really remember.

It runs okay. but bogs out often. And i would like to fix this.

To start. For maching that i can remember. It was bored out 30 over, three angle valve job, ported exh. & int, up compression to 10:1, balacned all, resurfaced cams & crank,there could be more. I'll find out.

I have a custom CAI. nothing done to the MAF. Is there anything you can do to them?

Pacesetter headers. (fixed all the leaks that came with them)2.25 exhaust all the way back. just a cheap muffler that i plan on replacing. Any ideas of the best one with in a couple hundred bucks?

No ecu mods. Would a JDM ecu make any difference?

No fuel upgrades. Opinions?

No ignition mods. Opinions?

I mostly use it for a daily driver but would like to take it out to solo racing. They do it in a parking lot south from where i live.

CriScO
08-10-2009, 04:29 AM
^ I'm gonna copy this to it's own thread, please keep discussion there.

Edit: Keep discussion here. Guess I can't split a thread while leaving the original in tact... :hehe:

CriScO
08-10-2009, 05:15 AM
It sounds like you've actually hit the max of what you can do to a 3S-FE. I'm impressed that someone else has done all that, though. I'll answer your questions, but outside of doing a stand-alone ECU you're at the limit.

I have a custom CAI. nothing done to the MAF. Is there anything you can do to them?
Not with the stock ECU. You can ditch it with a stand-alone.

Pacesetter headers. (fixed all the leaks that came with them)2.25 exhaust all the way back. just a cheap muffler that i plan on replacing. Any ideas of the best one with in a couple hundred bucks?
I love my Magnaflow. They run around $80 here, so I'd imagine something like $120 Canadian.

No ecu mods. Would a JDM ecu make any difference?
Nope. Once again, stand-alone is the only option.

No fuel upgrades. Opinions?
Generally worthless if you stay naturally aspirated with the stock ECU. You could use injectors from a 7M-GE, but I wouldn't without, again, a stand-alone ECU. They're worth it if tuned to increase the output only at higher than stock redline RPM, but would just run too rich otherwise.

No ignition mods. Opinions?
Eh... I have fun with them, but technically it isn't necessary. The stock system holds power well beyond redline. Well beyond what RPM even a built 3S-FE will ever see, for that matter.

So as far as mods go, you've pretty much done what you can with that motor. Only thing left is tuning.

Welcome aboard, BTW. :)

RedRkt01
08-10-2009, 01:41 PM
Welcome! I'm your 4th Gen friend.........

4thgenceli
08-10-2009, 02:46 PM
Yeah..what Crisco said's true. You've hit basically the maximum of upgrades/performance mods for teh 3sfe. Your next step would be to drop in either a ge (for NA performance) or the gte.

Crazy_88
08-12-2009, 03:57 AM
Thanx guys. for the feed back. I didn't notice that you made it a thread of its own.

I dont think i would spend the extra cash for a stand alone. I've pondered a 3sgte but would really like the all wheel drive option. The car is from california. it was brought to ontario canada by some dude. so it is really clean car.

If i have some quetions i'll be sure to ask. Only issue i have now is that the gauge cluster wont light up. fuse is fine it is getting power. all the gauges work fine. the bulbs just wont light up.they arebn't on one curcuit like old christmas lights are they?

just did poly bushings in the front control arms and sway bars front and back.
big diff to my warn originals.

Thanx again. I'll post some pics of the car maybe next week.

CriScO
08-12-2009, 07:20 AM
Thanx guys. for the feed back. I didn't notice that you made it a thread of its own.
My apologies, in hindsight I should've sent you a PM. It just keeps things a lot cleaner if you start a new thread when the questions are specifically about your own car.

As for the cluster, it isn't wired in series like that. One bulb can be out at a time. You'll have to remove the cluster and check the printed circuits behind it, you could have a break in the line.

alwayzsidewayz
08-12-2009, 09:28 AM
maybe engine swap time??? be cool to see some pics

Crazy_88
08-17-2009, 01:25 AM
My apologies, in hindsight I should've sent you a PM. It just keeps things a lot cleaner if you start a new thread when the questions are specifically about your own car.

As for the cluster, it isn't wired in series like that. One bulb can be out at a time. You'll have to remove the cluster and check the printed circuits behind it, you could have a break in the line.

Hey no worries crisco. i'll check the back of the cluster. thanx.

What size do the pictures have to be?

Crazy_88
08-17-2009, 01:39 AM
maybe engine swap time??? be cool to see some pics

Yeah would like it to be turbo. But... I know you guys may think i'm crazy but. i would like to convert this car to all wheel drive. I'm very aware that they are different chassis's. I'm a licensed autobody and collision tech, and i've checked through all the frame measurements and parts list and the only difference i can find is the two rear floor sections. I have never had an all-trac gutted. anyone that knows any more about it let me know if you think i'm mental and it could never happen.

rev_head
08-17-2009, 10:01 AM
Yeah would like it to be turbo. But... I know you guys may think i'm crazy but. i would like to convert this car to all wheel drive. I'm very aware that they are different chassis's. I'm a licensed autobody and collision tech, and i've checked through all the frame measurements and parts list and the only difference i can find is the two rear floor sections. I have never had an all-trac gutted. anyone that knows any more about it let me know if you think i'm mental and it could never happen.

OMG DO IT! lol this would be absolutely aesome to see done. My understanding was always its was basically a matter of the subframe in the rear. Good luck with it.
and wow a worked 3sfe nice. Does anyone make after,market cams for the 3s?? eitherway standalone would be an awesome upgrade iv often seen great deals on used motechs systems and the likes i imagine you would get an epic increase with just that and a good tune.

CriScO
08-17-2009, 11:45 AM
What size do the pictures have to be?
If you upload them to the gallery here you're limited to 640X480.

CriScO
08-17-2009, 11:52 AM
and wow a worked 3sfe nice. Does anyone make after,market cams for the 3s??
No one makes them new, but they can be reground. Cams from a second revision 5S(or Rav4 3S)-FE head are already more agressive in stock form. They can still be ground further, though.

Crazy_88
08-19-2009, 01:09 AM
Yeah i never found any cams. but i didn't know there were more aggressive ones.

What would be the best bet for a stand alone system and what price range would i be looking at?

Crazy_88
08-19-2009, 01:36 AM
Okay i tried to add some pics but it didn't work.

thye are in the lower section under file attachments but i'm not sure how to get them in a post.

And yes i'm not that good at adding to forums, just reading them.

Crazy_88
08-19-2009, 01:39 AM
Okay they did work when i did a post preview they didn't show.
but there they are. I'll go and take some of the engine and post them.

Grot
08-19-2009, 04:25 AM
i like the color combo.

What caused you to repaint it?

Crazy_88
08-19-2009, 01:35 PM
The body is all original paint. its in okay shape, starting to fade in spots from polishing and the hood has lots of marks in the paint.
I smoothed and painted the bumpers, painted the spoiler,front valance,grilles, tinted and painted orange on the taillights and front marker lights.

alwayzsidewayz
08-22-2009, 09:21 PM
very nice, I like it, re body and floor pan. sounds a great project

Crazy_88
08-23-2009, 11:12 PM
very nice, I like it, re body and floor pan. sounds a great project

Seeing as that you have a all-trac. is the rear floor pans the only differance?
is there any differnce in the front and rear strut towers? are the engine mounts different?

Its a good project, but now i need a beat up all-trac.