PDA

View Full Version : Got the cruise control working

Nitro_Alltrac
08-08-2009, 09:14 PM
I got my cruise working again! WOOT! It started going in and out on the way to the Dragon last fall and finally quit working completely. You'd go to set it and the cruise light would flash 5 times and then go out. I got a new cruise actuator first and that didn't do anything. Today I crawled under the dash to check the brake light switch as the BGB showed that as the next thing to check (it has a really good troubleshooting section for the cruise). The switch itself was OK but I wasn't getting any continuity on the #4 pin in the harness plug like you're supposed to. Got to looking up in the harness and someone had been monkeying around sometime in the past and messed up the insulation on the wire so that it was making contact with the other wire that kills the cruise. I reinsulated both and them and now I got cruise control again! Turned out to be a pretty good day. Hadn't planned on doing this today but it worked out for a change.

Shadowlife25
08-09-2009, 12:04 AM
That's awesome Mike! I'm glad you got it fixed. :)

Nitro_Alltrac
08-09-2009, 01:25 PM
Thanks Mario. It will definitely make the longer trips a little more enjoyable.

vip09
08-10-2009, 02:21 AM
Sweet! Gotta love it when things work out. :)

Nitro_Alltrac
08-10-2009, 02:47 AM
The good thing is that more and more things on the car have been working out lately. Now that I've bragged about it, it will probably blow up on the way to work tomorrow! :eek:

CriScO
08-10-2009, 04:26 AM
Pussy. My cruise was broken that whole trip. :hehe:

Seriously though, that's a good tip. Most people wouldn't think to check the wiring at that switch. Personally I'm too lazy to get in that akward position under the dash unless it's necessary. Plus I'd get kinda oily right now, haven't changed the carpet yet. :D

Grot
08-10-2009, 04:29 AM
haven't changed the carpet yet. :D

ew :eek: that shit was gross. dont you DD that car?

I would like to think i would do it asap, but as i think about it i would probably ignore it as long as possible.

Nitro_Alltrac
08-10-2009, 10:09 PM
haven't changed the carpet yet. :D

Crisco, I thought you kept your maintenance up better than that! You've got to be WAY over on mileage by now!! ug2

I can say from experience that it is much easier to get the brake switch and the wiring on a 4th gen. I had to change the switch out on the 88 ST I had a couple of years ago and that was pretty easy and you had a clear path. On my All Trac, it's up over top of a large, SHARP brace for the steering column and cramped as hell.

Wicked Toys
08-12-2009, 02:00 AM
Awesome Mike, on long trips it can be quite useful. Haha. Hell not even sure if mine still works.