PDA

View Full Version : water to air i/c

lalojamesliz
08-08-2009, 04:09 AM
has anyone tried one of these kits?http://www.frozenboost.com/product_info.php?cPath=216&products_id=1034&osCsid=687d351eb63d6a762e956ca90c914295 i was thinking it would be great for me since its capability is right at my power goal. its just too hard to find a good oem wta intercooler for less than this whole kit. plus i think the intercooler core might fit in the original batt. location so it would be a 90 degree bend out of the turbo to the core then from the core right into the throttlebody. ideas,suggestions?

Nitro_Alltrac
08-08-2009, 04:30 AM
I've got one of the cores. It's not a bad looking product and it does have a water to air core (the water passages are smaller than the air passages), not an air to air core. The case is aluminum plate. Mine has 2.5" inlet and outlets. It measures approximately 12" long, 11" inches wide and about 4.5" thick. Some of the welds look a little boogery but overall it looks like a good piece.

I had planned on using it on my All Trac, mounting it in the left side of the engine compartment where the charcoal cannister used to be but it's too big to fit without moving the battery and the AFM. If you have your battery mounted in the rear or if you're using the small battery some of the folks use and a straight intake, it would fit. I don't want to move the battery to the rear and by the time I bought the smaller battery and made the straight intake I would have about enough in it to get a 205 charge cooler. I'm thinking about going that route.

But if you have the space, I think it would be a good unit. I've seen some pictures of them installed in some turbo VW's and on a few supercharged cars, ones with the centrifical(sp?) type supercharger. I've also read a few things about some diesel guys running them. If I hadn't had to rework my engine compartment, I would put it in.

I'm going to sell the one I have if anybodys interested.

lalojamesliz
08-08-2009, 05:12 AM
well i have the straight intake now and was planing on moving the battery to the trunk so i gues it will work :)

Mafix
08-08-2009, 05:49 PM
why not just use an rc or 205 cooler.

Klue
08-08-2009, 06:50 PM
WTA is great for cool temps when dragging. and its great for consistent temperatures while road racing. On the street though I cant see that core supporting 350hp. I had issues running the jdm computer 94 octane and a full RC set up with around this power level.

Lagos
08-08-2009, 08:41 PM
why not just use an rc or 205 cooler.

x2

id do this, especially since you have cali emissions to worry about. those coolers look bone stock and you wouldnt have any issues.

Nitro_Alltrac
08-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Like he said earlier, you can get this set up a lot cheaper, in most cases, than a 205 set up. That was the reason I was going to go that route.

lalojamesliz
08-08-2009, 09:49 PM
the last time i saw a rc wta core alone the person wanted $325! im sure i can eventually find one for a little less but this kit has everything needed exept for the pipes and i can have my local mandrel bending shop just take care of that. total im guessing would be around $475-500 with a bosch cobra pump, water lines and fittings,remote filler cap and the piping. the speed limit on most streets where i live is between 40-50 mph and only 2-3 lane roads plus hardly any traffic and thats only between 2-5 pm. with my new SARD tuned rom! (thank you Lagos!) and my ct20b and when i finally get my 3" mandrel bent exhaust im expecting around 260-275 awhp according to the MR2 power primer so that will be below the capacity of this kit but eventually ill want more power so ill have to upgrade. sorry i should of said this power goal before.

joe's gt
08-09-2009, 04:14 AM
If you drop in some cams, cam gears, and run slightly higher fuel pressure on the 440s, you could probably get it close to 300 with still a relatively safe duty cycle on the injectors. I am just assuming you don't want to go with 550's yet because then the sard ecu would be usless unless it is retuned.

lalojamesliz
08-09-2009, 03:52 PM
If you drop in some cams, cam gears, and run slightly higher fuel pressure on the 440s, you could probably get it close to 300 with still a relatively safe duty cycle on the injectors. I am just assuming you don't want to go with 550's yet because then the sard ecu would be usless unless it is retuned.

that sounds like something ill look into :burn: but yeah i dont want to get rid of my new sard ecu especially since i havent even recieved it yet

MrWOT
08-09-2009, 04:57 PM
That's a good kit, but too small on core volume imho, even for your power level, it's smaller than the 165 cooler. I'd put it with a 4A, but not a 3/5S

lalojamesliz
08-09-2009, 08:49 PM
after some more reading in that site i saw its ok to use the 600hp kit. http://www.frozenboost.com/product_info.php?cPath=216&products_id=1006&osCsid=687d351eb63d6a762e956ca90c914295 i just hope the core fits.

Lagos
08-09-2009, 08:49 PM
the last time i saw a rc wta core alone the person wanted $325! im sure i can eventually find one for a little less but this kit has everything needed exept for the pipes and i can have my local mandrel bending shop just take care of that. total im guessing would be around $475-500 with a bosch cobra pump, water lines and fittings,remote filler cap and the piping. the speed limit on most streets where i live is between 40-50 mph and only 2-3 lane roads plus hardly any traffic and thats only between 2-5 pm. with my new SARD tuned rom! (thank you Lagos!) and my ct20b and when i finally get my 3" mandrel bent exhaust im expecting around 260-275 awhp according to the MR2 power primer so that will be below the capacity of this kit but eventually ill want more power so ill have to upgrade. sorry i should of said this power goal before.

you dont need 550s or anything like that. you have to remember that you have awd, so the fuel/ecu will last you a good bit longer so the sard is perfect for you.
i would honestly go with the oem setup. they have been proven to work really well with the stock setup and also with aftermaket kits and not have to worry about a dumb emissions guy giving you a hard time.

joe's gt
08-10-2009, 06:21 AM
they have been proven to work really well with the stock setup and also with aftermaket kits and not have to worry about a dumb emissions guy giving you a hard time.

the biggest plus IMO coming from a cali resident.

Smaay
08-10-2009, 04:04 PM
James, i have a fabricator that can make it fit where you want it. you are not too far from me if you want to come by the shop and see what we have to offer you. we can build the piping and everything.

ChrisD
08-12-2009, 03:35 PM
The best fit I saw with one of those was right where the stock battery sits.

Nitro_Alltrac
08-13-2009, 12:47 AM
The pictures I found, mostly of VW's, had the charge cooler sitting in that general area.

lalojamesliz
08-13-2009, 12:54 AM
The best fit I saw with one of those was right where the stock battery sits.

my plan is to try it where the air filter box was but if that does not work ill look into this