PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Plans a U.S. Sports Car, With Passion

COLDAX
08-07-2009, 03:16 PM
Hey all, long time no post. Check out this story in the NY Times. Some hope for us after all?

Toyota Plans a U.S. Sports Car, With Passion

By MICHELINE MAYNARD

Published: August 5, 2009

TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. — The president of Toyota Motor, Akio Toyoda, said on Wednesday that his company would introduce an affordable sports car in the United States as part of an effort to inject more passion into Toyota’s conservative lineup.

Toyota executives said the vehicle, which Mr. Toyoda described as “exciting” and “fun to drive,” would be built in a joint venture with the Japanese automaker Subaru.

They declined to say when the vehicle would be sold in the United States. But news reports have suggested the Toyota-Subaru vehicle, nicknamed the “Subieyota” by Jalopnik.com, a Web site for car enthusiasts, could be available as soon as 2010.

The British car magazine Autocar said in April that the model would be a rear-wheel drive coupe, which might be equipped with a choice of a 2-liter or a 2.4-liter engine. It called the car “compact, lightweight, rear-drive and fast.”

Toyota is the largest shareholder in Subaru’s parent, Fuji Heavy Industries. Subaru builds Camry sedans for Toyota at its plant in Lafayette, Ind.

“I am very excited about it, and I plan to fast-track it,” Mr. Toyoda said in a speech to the annual Management Briefing Seminars sponsored by the Center for Automotive Research.

In the past, Toyota has sold sporty vehicles like the MR2 and the Celica. But it has not had a sports car in the American lineup of its Toyota brand for several years.

It has sold the Scion tC, a sporty coupe meant to appeal to young consumers, in the United States since 2004. The new sports car could overlap with the tC, at least initially, James E. Lentz, the president of Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A., said at a news conference.

Mr. Lentz said Toyota executives in the United States had been lobbying executives in Japan to develop a sports car for several years, but that other vehicles took precedence.

He would not say how many cars Toyota expected to sell, but hinted it would not be a big seller. “ ‘High volume’ and ‘sports car’ are difficult to use in the same sentence,” he said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/06/business/global/06toyota.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss

extremeskillz
08-07-2009, 03:34 PM
I'll believe when I see it!

vip09
08-07-2009, 03:57 PM
I think if it does come out, it's going to be largely dissatisfying.

CarolinaJr.
08-07-2009, 04:11 PM

Yeah Yeah

GT4SOM
08-07-2009, 04:26 PM

I think if it does come out, it's going to be largely dissatisfying.

This is exactly how I feel. 2.0L engine? I'm going to hold my breath before I say 3sgte or 3sge. It will probably be something uber gay.

Trance4c
08-07-2009, 05:54 PM
Yep, believe it when I see it.

I do believe it more now though then before, they've been talking to lots of people and routing information through their PMA districts from interest groups for the past few years.

I think they're finally getting the idea. Gotta have passion!

dynamic73
08-07-2009, 07:17 PM
I believe it but I'm with vip09, It's going to be too little too late.

Ghosty
08-07-2009, 07:30 PM
The TC mentioned in the NYT article already has a 2.4 L 2AZFE powerplant... it's got an FE head. I really, really hope they don't have that in mind when they say "2.4L powerplant" and "may overlap with the TC."

The 2AZFE is too large a displacement to be an economy motor, and it doesn't have the torque (163 ft*lb), power (161 hp), or revs (6k RPM to peak power, 4k RPM to peak torque) to make it a sports car motor from the factory. It doesn't make sense.

I agree with you, Trance, this seems more and more probable every day. If the 2.0L is actually turbocharged (makes sense considering competition with the Genesis Coupe Turbo), must be like a stand-in for a 3SGTE, and put in a RWD platform, that might actually be teh sexors. Think of what the AE86 would have been like with a 3SGTE, instead of a 4AGE.

Anyone remember hearing that Toyota may source the engine for this from Subaru? Meaning it would be a boxter engine? Low center of gravity, anyone?

GT4SOM
08-07-2009, 08:31 PM
Yup, I know its going to have a flat four over a 3sgte.

Mafix
08-07-2009, 08:40 PM
lame.

Trance4c
08-07-2009, 08:41 PM
I believe it but I'm with vip09, It's going to be too little too late.

ROFL!! Makes me think of the scene from the original Fast and Furious where the chick says 'Why don't you put your money where you mouth is?' and pulls out a roll of bills lol.

Cecile-91'GTS
08-07-2009, 09:27 PM
im actually kind of excited just to see what they come up with, it could be a very good platform for upgrades....

Galcobar
08-07-2009, 09:59 PM
Hell, they could always just start putting the 3SGTE into the Matrix, per New Zealand.

Ghosty
08-07-2009, 10:15 PM
Hell, they could always just start putting the 3SGTE into the Matrix, per New Zealand.

That experiment was yummy.

But is the 3SGTE past its prime? Compression ratios and power output are higher than they've ever been in the last generation, but it's still a heavy engine.

Mafix
08-08-2009, 05:47 PM
it's a great and proven platform. so is the flat four boxer motor. pick and choose away but i don't see it being anything fancy. toyota quality will be going downhill soon. they lost nearly 9 billion last year.

goretro77
08-08-2009, 07:46 PM
I am with the camp I'll believe it when I see it. Lots of talks for years now and nothing has come to fruition.

Pretty much sums up what comes of these 'new Toyota GT sportscar' rumors.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/goretro77/failed/bat-out-of-hell.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/goretro77/failed/groinbaseball.jpg

Guess I am just a bit skeptical nowadays over these rumors. Toyota has lost its appeal as a manufacturer that made exciting reasonably priced GT RWD sportscars. :(

VikingJZ
08-10-2009, 06:36 AM
I think this will be good.

I have been reading about this thing being competition for the Genesis and 370Z.

They need SOMETHING like that.

I also saw a rumor of a strict muscle car (yes, Japanese Muscle Car) to DIRECTLY compete with the Camaro, Mustang, and Challenger. Using the V8 from the Tundra.

Now THAT would get me into the dealership. Either of the two.