PDA

View Full Version : Cant get 3sgte tranny all the way off

skydog474
12-06-2004, 12:57 AM
Hey guys, im tryin to get off the 3sgte tranny. Its off about 1/4 to 1/2 inch around all the edges and i cant get it anymore what so ever, am i for getting something at this point. Let me know. Thanks

Sean
12-06-2004, 01:29 AM
Is this in the car? Is this an alltrac? Mr2?

Its heavy, its a transmission. You will find some dowel pins that are holding it on. The weight of the transmission makes it difficult to just slide off. You just need a couple guys, then just wiggle that thing off. The bell housing is most likely just snagged on the flywheel.

If the two are out of the car, just put a guy on the tranny, and two on the engine, and pull. Or, use some gravity, tilt the engine side up in the air, should just slide off. Remember this two componets have been together for a long time.

Lagos
12-06-2004, 01:34 AM
yeah that awd tranny is a bitch. just keep working on it.

Trance4c
12-06-2004, 01:36 AM
Double check all the bolts on the tranny to the block and double check to make sure you have all of the brackets that are bolted to the block from the transmission on the back side undone. I know that transmisison is a hoe.. but its gunna take some time.

skydog474
12-06-2004, 01:50 AM
Ok. It is from a GT4. Is it easier to do if its in the air on a hoist or if i like set it on the oil pan and tilt it up and pull offf the tranny? Thanks again

Sean
12-06-2004, 02:34 AM
So it is out of the car... Yes that AWD tranny is a PITA!!!

You just need a couple of guys to pull it apart. Also, you know those black panels that cover the holes the block does not cover, call them dust covers if you will. Make sure all of those bolts are out also, they can bend and make you think your free, but in reality, that tranny isnt coming off unless you get those off.

Your in the right place for swapping ;)

Lagos
12-06-2004, 03:29 AM
the way i got mine off is... i put the motor on the engine lift and hooked up the chain so that the tranny points down as much as possible. make sure you got all the bolts off, and take a crow bar or a big flathead screwdriver and start to pry at it from every side.

the fwd tranny is cake compare to the awd one.

skydog474
12-06-2004, 04:29 AM
Um. yes it is out of the car.

I totally agree with you on the FWD tranny, mine came off the 5s-fe really easy. To bad the AWD isnt as easy. but o well. Thanks for the replies. i will let you guys know what happenes.

skydog474
12-06-2004, 04:28 PM
Hey after i do get the tranny off and am about to put on the FWD tranny which do i use, the awd or fwd flywheel? And is there anything that i need to put around the edge like any oils or anything like that before i put it on?