PDA

View Full Version : stripping & painting an engine block

85gtsblackman
07-31-2009, 01:19 AM
ok so the engine thats going into my truck had a bit of minor surface rust and gunk, i just did round one of cleaning it, in the ran with degreeser and a hose. ill go at it 1 more time with a pressure washer and more degreeser/dawn.

btw yeah i did plug all the holes and whatnot on the long block before i started.

now im wondering what would be the best way to strip all the old stuff off and repaint the block?

Nitro_Alltrac
07-31-2009, 02:31 AM
Hey Joe. I've heard that oven cleaner will work although I've never tried it myself.

Mr. Babb
07-31-2009, 02:47 AM
brake cleaner ftw

Murgatroy
08-01-2009, 01:13 AM
I have used Oven Cleaner many times.

Jason Durling
08-01-2009, 03:15 AM
If you have a body shop close by ask them how much to blast it. I have done this many times on my boss's antiques and they turn out looking better than original. Blasting is the only way to get rid of all the rust, however if you are strapped for money brake cleaner will get you by for a while but is a temporary fix. Best of luck man.

85gtsblackman
08-04-2009, 09:59 AM
thanks you all, i have also found a mid sized wire bursh to be extreamly helpfull as well.

ill probally start on it on thursday (payday), because i plan to paint it with the head on but with carboard and taple covering up the holes, then after the block is done i remove head and send it to the machine shop.