PDA

View Full Version : I'm interested in autocross

carlosfandango
12-06-2004, 12:50 AM
My business premises are located on an industrial estate, I got light engineering all around me, auto mechanics, spray shops, wrought iron workers etc etc.

A lot of these guys do autocross, i went to a race last year.

it was great.

does anyone use celica's?

we tend to go for small cars, light and fast.

who does autocross here?

mikeswickednick
12-06-2004, 01:22 AM
i auto x, ill plan on doing the solo I really competivly this summer with my NA

roman
12-06-2004, 04:10 AM
I started autocrossing in the Celica. Then I wanted something small and light, and got my Miata ;) However, there are a few people here who autocross their Celicas and are quite competitive in their class. EvilSpeeder used to autocross his 6th gen in GS (I think?) and was very successful there. nxracer from C.net autocrossed his 7th gen and was the regional champ, but I am still trying to get him to join this forum.

RA24_4_Me
12-06-2004, 11:57 PM
Ill be autocrossing as well come spring. Fully modified suspension, Front engine, Rear wheel drive layout, 2200 lb car = good time.

Ryan

nuclearhappines
12-15-2004, 05:35 PM
i went to the first event of 2002 and watched (celica was undergoing the turbo install)

i went to the last event of 2004 and took part in the vr4

Originally i planned on keeping the vr4 @ BPU and getting some suspension mods and running it most of next season (2005).

I'm in Street Mod because of my power adders so that's a tough class for me :(.

I suggest that you do it... and i suggest that if you can , then start with a smaller car...

I think like a mirage or a corolla or a celica would be a good place to start. Start in a stock class. Leave your engine stock... and pick up suspension mods as you become a better driver/ move up in the classes.

More Power does nothing for you in autox except for making it frustrating. My car lurches hard in 1st, and 2nd and 3rd gives me nice managable power... but when you autox you never get above 55-60mph. So have a really fast car (like the vr4) makes it annoying to drive because as soon as i feel like i'm starting to get going i'm back on the brakes

smaller car, linear powerband, GREAT brakes, and good suspension would make it alot more fun.

-nuke

whtcelionteins
12-15-2004, 07:11 PM
Autoxing my Celica was fun but very competitive. Yes ++power isnt neccessary. You need something with lowend grunt! Something like the 5thGen ST... But you need a fast driver... lol!

Hope you have fun!

My front main seal decided to blow out during one of the practice runs and low and behold... With oil trailing during hard right turns... I was doomed... Its been almost a year since Ive driven/AutoX'd my Celica... Hopefully I can get a motor before the new season starts. Doubtful but hopefully!

Laters,