PDA

View Full Version : Help me looking at local Celica

RoadRunner
07-25-2009, 01:38 AM
I want to grab this Celica to fix it and use as a DD

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/cto/1251961485.html

Is it worth it and such?

Can it be swapped to a GT4 rather easily down the line?

I'm a big MR2 nut, but I need a car with a back seat and I like the gen4-6 celica's and this popped up on craigslist so I thought I'd ask you guys your opinion!

Ads28
07-25-2009, 01:53 AM
swapped to a GT4? Easily ?... hmm seeing how the Gt-Four is AWD 5speed.., swapping out the tranny and entire drivetrain and modding the body to fit a AWD set up..is Nothing but easy

And from the looks of the very vague description..youd have to find out more info, find out wat "some work" actually is to see if its worth fixing up..

and if you want a DD then keep it how it is

RoadRunner
07-25-2009, 02:34 AM
It would stay how it is for a bit. I know I'd want to swap everything out later down the line in a year or two though.

Didn't they make the gen4 in GT4 as well? Wouldn't it all swap over. Granted it would be a lot of swapping, but I'd figure that it would be possible.

There is a 91 here as well in much better condition but I like this body style better.

Ads28
07-25-2009, 02:50 AM
No it alll doesnt just "swap" over...it involes Heavy Modification...use the search button this topic has been covered many times before :)

CriScO
07-25-2009, 05:26 AM
First of all there's no such thing as an "r22" engine. The author probably means 22r, which never came in a fourth gen. Don't believe anything they tell you about the car, because they obviously have no clue. And if they don't even know the engine, the car has NOT been taken care of.

The AWD fourth gen sits on a ST165 chasis, all other models are either ST182 or the rare ST181. Different chasis = heavy fabrication, esp. on the rear end. Unless you happen to be a structural engineer I wouldn't attempt it. It will end up costing at least five times what the car is worth. You can, however, swap the motor from the All-Tracs and retain the FWD layout.

TurboTRDCelica
08-03-2009, 05:19 AM
I've swapped a 88 GTS to GT4 and I can tell you that half the car needs to be replaced to do it. Entire floor pan front to rear needs to be changed over.