PDA

View Full Version : Why new spark wires so often?

Doc
03-25-2005, 05:00 AM
I was inspired by this post (http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4107) and specifically this quote to ask this question here.

You probably don't even need new wires until after 160,000miles.

I've never understood why these are the only wires in your car that are replaced as part of a maintenance routine.

Why is replacing the spark plug wires done so often? How exactly do they wear out and what are the symptoms caused by "bad" wires?

Punisher
03-25-2005, 07:27 AM
Bad wires can cause mis-fires.. loss of power.. poor gas mileage.. Just good to replace them with the spark plugs.. probably about every 60-80,000 miles..

However, it's something that I realisticly replace probably every 20,000 miles.. It's hot.. the silicon gets dried out and cracks.. Talking about 40,000V running through those wires all the time...

david in germany
03-25-2005, 07:44 AM
Bad wires can cause mis-fires.. loss of power.. poor gas mileage.. Just good to replace them with the spark plugs.. probably about every 60-80,000 miles..

However, it's something that I realisticly replace probably every 20,000 miles.. It's hot.. the silicon gets dried out and cracks.. Talking about 40,000V running through those wires all the time...

Also as the rotor rotates and launches the spark to the contact points on the cap and electrifies any little particles in the air and they stick to the contact in the cap causing bad electical transfer. Thats why.

Punisher
03-25-2005, 08:50 PM
Yea for the cap/rotor.

Luni
03-27-2005, 05:09 PM
The reason why you have to replace the spark plug wires more than any other wire in the car is because it is carrying a shitload more current than any other wire in the car. The current destroys the integrity of the wire. Nowhere else can you find 10,000 volts of electricity going through a wire. They say a good rule of thumb is to replace them at least once every other year on a 3SGTE. On a 5SFE/3SGE/1ZZFE you could probabally get away with it every 40k miles or so. But be sure to use OEM wires, they are the best and they are worth the piece of mind IMO.