PDA

View Full Version : my 5SFTE ran 13.6@108MPH!!!

presure2
07-23-2009, 12:37 PM
made it out to New England Dragway today, and got a good handfull of runs in, and managed 2 good runs.
the first good run i bogged a tiny bit off the line, cut a crappy 2.2 60ft time, and ran 13.8 @ 106.

my next run, i reved a little more at the line, and still cut a crappy 2.2 60ft time.
i got thru the shifts pretty cleanly, and managed to run 13.6 @ 108MPH!
that crappy 60ft time, and the 108MPH trap tells me there is still ALOT left in the setup as it is, we just need to dial the car in a little more, and REALLY work on the driving.

feeling great, i was psyched for my next run, hit it alittle harder at the line, but totally missed the shift to 2nd.
when i finally did get it into 2nd, at the top of the gear i felt/heard somthing a little odd, that i had felt from time to time since the last dyno when i got on it really hard occasionally. by the time i got to the end of the track, i realized the battery light was on, so i pulled off, and poped the hood. to my amazement, i popped the alternator belt!
so, we decided to chance it and try and make it as close to home as we could. (its a 2hr ride each way)
we got about 1/2 way, ended up getting stuck in boston traffic, and i stalled the car trying to pedal it in traffic.
we had AAA tow us the rest of the way, and had my cousin pick us up a new alternator belt, and drop it off at the garage.

WOOT, what a day.

i am on the right, #885
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a57/presure2/IMG_0969Medium.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a57/presure2/th_manny13_6atNED9_22.jpg (http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a57/presure2/?action=view&current=manny13_6atNED9_22.flv)

88st165
07-23-2009, 02:05 PM
Nice, picked up almost 25mph on the back half. You have some nice topend. With a better 60ft you can run some really good times though Im sure traction is the issue.

Trance4c
07-23-2009, 03:12 PM
Nice work! Traction... grrr... if only we could get traction!

Klue
07-23-2009, 03:35 PM
you can get traction its called feathering the throttle lol dont just stab the shit out of it hahah ( not saying thats what you doing)

i find for frist and second in my open diff half trac you need to feather it carefully on the launch

with the lsd halftrac you can rev it up good say 4500-5k and dump it, the tires will spin a bit but it will still be moving.

alltrac = REVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV drop the clutch chirp chirp chirp gone.
hahah

sick car man, great top end, fuck launching if its your DD lol

ChrisD
07-23-2009, 03:41 PM
Wow, great mph - definitely more in there if you could definitely get quite a bit quicker. Congrats!

Trance4c
07-23-2009, 04:14 PM
you can get traction its called feathering the throttle lol dont just stab the shit out of it hahah ( not saying thats what you doing)

Yes, but then we're not getting all of the potential to produce the quickest possible 60ft. He's losing .7-.2 on most drivers which is worth a LOT more on the top end.

Slicks, correct suspension geometry, spring loads and stiffer rear shocks I think would be a better solution. But then we're talking LARGE amounts of time on sensors, data input and computer models. I've got a great link at home I'll have to post up later, but it will be obvious its way beyond most of us.

EDIT: Here is the link to OptimumG's website. (http://www.optimumg.com/OptimumGWebSite/Others/TechTips.html)

Slicks and some rear Koni's.. I bet he'll shave off .3 at least.

Lagos
07-23-2009, 05:21 PM
Bro, thats awesome! I bet your super stoked. all that hard work finally pays off!!!

burnyd
07-23-2009, 05:57 PM
Good Run, I dont think there are many 13 second 5s powered Celicas I can think of...I think with a better 60 and traction you could go into the lower 13s...Its kinda hard with that tranny once you make power first gear is extremely short.

Not to hijack the thread but, its kinda hard when your building boost to feather it like NA powered cars..

andy
07-23-2009, 09:30 PM
my swapped 91 ran a 13.9 @ 106 @ 13 psi. just reference. Good job man!!

CriScO
07-24-2009, 01:28 AM
Very nice.

I really need to get to Bandimere before summer's over...

Klue
07-24-2009, 05:17 AM
Yes, but then we're not getting all of the potential to produce the quickest possible 60ft. He's losing .7-.2 on most drivers which is worth a LOT more on the top end.

Slicks, correct suspension geometry, spring loads and stiffer rear shocks I think would be a better solution. But then we're talking LARGE amounts of time on sensors, data input and computer models. I've got a great link at home I'll have to post up later, but it will be obvious its way beyond most of us.

Slicks and some rear Koni's.. I bet he'll shave off .3 at least.

torque is a function of load,
wheel spin = 0 load.

balang_479
07-24-2009, 12:27 PM
Congrats on the time, really goes, also the FF layout and street tires dont help.
Keep it up.

presure2
07-24-2009, 03:40 PM
thanks for all the kind words and tips, guys, i appreciate it!
we run BFgoodrich drag radials on a set of stock rims, just a matter of getting some seat time, to get those 60ft times down some. since i cant afford a set of koni's what do ya think of stuffing a couple spring rubbers in the rear, nascar style? lol

vip09
07-24-2009, 04:44 PM
Good run man! More practice will definitely get your ET down to where it should be. You can do eeet!

nuclearhappines
07-24-2009, 05:42 PM
wheel spin or wheel hop ?

nuclearhappines
07-24-2009, 05:49 PM
sounds like just spin from the video..... you absolutely murdered the guy in the other lane i love it.

for reference BPU 3000GT VR4s run between 106 and 112 mph depending on the health of the car... most of which comes with a 1.6x 60' and a 4.x 0-60 that's one FAST 5sfte... and it's all top end.

stiffer shock and spring in the rear
softer shock and springs in the front (sometimes even removing the front sway bar)
a little more forward rake in the car (like taller springs in the back or a slight 0.5" to 1" spring spacer ( or even an oversized ghetto tire set for the back that is larger OD)
if you have any negative camber in the front, dial it out

If you're getting any wheel hop at all... stiffer front shocks (but not as stiff as the rears)
Urethaned motor mounts
and some custom made front ladder bars.

Trance4c
07-24-2009, 05:55 PM
if you have any negative camber in the front, dial it out

I disagree Nuke, as the car lifts any negative camber will bring the tire back to true. You always have to account for the front end lift.

If you want a rule of thumb, you typically try to set the tire true on the rack with the front jacked up 4-5 inches. Then when you bring the car down, there will still be negative camber.

Mafix
07-24-2009, 07:30 PM
depends on the camber angle and tire pressure. what was your tire pressure?

presure2
07-25-2009, 12:55 AM
alignment specs are stock, on that run there was ~20psi in the DR's.
i made a hacked solid front mount, working on a better design. rear mount is filled.
thinking about trying a torque damper, especially since i seen one on pats 800+AWHP alltrac. any thoughts?
shock and spring changes are out of the question, i cant afford any of that stuff right now.
that run had basicly no hop, just a little spin.
what exactly is a "front ladder bar" nuke?
any thoughts on trying the spring rubbers in the rear springs?

nuclearhappines
07-25-2009, 01:03 AM
i thought about what you said clayton but if he does the other mods to preload it and rake it then the point is not to have the front lift that much

which brings the settings closer to 0* if the front is more controlled.
if the front is sloppy, then yes i agree with you

but i was talking more in combination of doing the things together...

nuclearhappines
07-25-2009, 01:17 AM
if you don't have hop you don't need the dampener or the ladder bar.

a ladder bar is a bar that sits horizontally between your wheel and your chassis

it has bearings in it to still allow for up down movement, but it prevents the suspension from moving (even marginally) front to back

Wheel hop comes when the wheel catches and then lurches FORWARDS because it has grip... as it moves upwards and forwards it has no grip, and having an underdamped (soft shock) suspension allows it to bounce like that grabbing and releasing grip...

the ladder bar prevents any forward motion of your lower control arm ,even marginal
the wheel never hops any more

this is the same for RWD cars where 1 wheel hops when you throw the power at it...

if you have no hop, just spin then forget about the 2nd part of the list.

20psi is HIGH for a drag radial some people go as low as 12s

but people do this in 2psi increments because if you take out too much psi the tire
shrinks and it hurts your top end and traps.. so you want the best combination of off the line traction with top end gearing.

spring rubbers will be ok in the rear, they will stiffen up the rear springs if you load them (if you throw that much weight on them that the spring compresses enough to use the rubbers) ... but i don't think it's that huge a difference...

why ?

a stock spring is what 200lbs/inch on all 4 corners
a spring rubber depending on weather it is soft, medium or hard rubber may bring that up to what 300 at most ? not bad but...

Drag springs are like 250 front 600 to 1000 lbs/inch rear (depending on how much hp we're talking about ... a 'slight' offset of rear spring stiffness may not be that much a difference, especially if the shock is stock. If the setup becomes under damped and the shock can't control the stiffer spring that may be worse rather than better.

Only way to know on the rubbers is to try it...

what people use better than rubbers is airbags that you insert in your spring this is both a spring stiffener and a spring damper (because it's like a gas shock) and they adjust the airbag pressure which gives both stiffness and damping ... and with the 2 rears having different bags you can pretty much DIAL out any rear wheel hop (underdamped wheel) or bad squat on both wheels depending on how much pressure u put in each one

here's an interesting idea... did u spin both wheels or just 1 side. If you were to do rubbers, put just 1 rubber on the opposite corner of the spinning wheel ... visualize the car squat then recoil back on the tire... if front left spins (Because of the shorter axle) then a spring rubber ideally should be in rear right... if u use 2 rubbers i'd put a soft rubber in rear left and a hard one in rear right.

But with what you have now 20psi is too high i'd start there... start at 15psi and give it hell ...

Mafix
07-25-2009, 03:23 AM
agreed 15psi at the most and get the speed source mounts. they work great.

Trance4c
07-25-2009, 05:32 AM
i thought about what you said clayton but if he does the other mods to preload it and rake it then the point is not to have the front lift that much

no doubt, that is the intent.

presure2
07-25-2009, 02:01 PM
thanks again for the tips guys.
oddly enough, even with the stock s54 diff, when i spin, it lights them both up.
if i launch above say 3800 rpm, it does hop, the filled rear, and solid front mounts helped a bunch with that.
BFGoodrich recommends not running the DR's under 15psi, that was the reasoning behind starting @ 20psi.
next time we make it out, ill start @ 18, and work my way down from there.

Mafix
07-27-2009, 02:52 AM
prob because some retard will drive down the street with that pressure, have a blow out, kill himself, and the parents will sue michelin (owns bfg).

presure2
07-27-2009, 11:56 AM
prob because some retard will drive down the street with that pressure, have a blow out, kill himself, and the parents will sue michelin (owns bfg).
LMAO yea, this is true.
ill keep the lower pressure in mind next time at the track.

Smaay
07-27-2009, 03:54 PM
good runns and BFG drag radials are a good tire. I used to run them untill i discovered the MT ET Street Radials. with those i ran 12.0 @ 124 in my 7th gen and 11.0 @126 in my Supra. both with 1.8 60' they are a really good tire. im using Koesi K1 for wheels.

is there a place on this site to upload the video?

you can see my youtube videos. username is Eodninja6