PDA

View Full Version : Opinions/Recommendations on HVLP spray gun

Nitro_Alltrac
07-23-2009, 03:11 AM
I'm getting ready to do some painting on my car and need to get a paint gun. I want to go the HVLP route. What are the opinion/recommendations on these things? Anybody got them, what kind and how do you like it?

CriScO
07-23-2009, 05:11 AM
I'm more curious as to how we'll know it's you without a black hood/bumper. :hehe:

Sorry, couldn't resist. You've seen my car, I know nothing of spray guns. Sorry!

joe's gt
07-23-2009, 06:19 AM
I've done my own diy painting with hvlp. I was talking to the guy from my local automotive paint shop and he said guns with a gravity feed cans are the best and most beginner friendly.

The brand doesn't matter so much as much as getting the settings on the gun right.

It takes A LOT of trial and error to get the inlet pressure, fan, and mixture settings right so you get a nice cigar type shape with even material distribution on your test spray.

You also are gonna have to decide whether you want to spray with one tip for primer, paint, and clear. Or a separate tip for primer, and another for paint and clear.

I used one tip and it turned out fine. I think I used a 1.4mm size tip and the brand of gun I think was SATA. It was like 5 yrs. ago and the equipment I used is at home so unfortunately I can't confirm the tip size or brand.

alltracshoak
07-23-2009, 09:49 AM
sata is good brand.what hvlp is is spraying at a low air pressure.uses less paint to cover.i havent done any painting anymore after painting my st185 but now here the paint industries is movimg on to water bourne paint solvent to better the economy. but hvlp is what i use to spray primer/base/and clear.what would be better is to have different gun for different duties

Slider
07-23-2009, 05:03 PM
Wam! http://www.purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/techinfo/HVLPspraygun.html

Good budget gun. Just make sure your compressor is up to the task.

Nitro_Alltrac
07-23-2009, 05:49 PM
I'm more curious as to how we'll know it's you without a black hood/bumper. :hehe:

Sorry, couldn't resist. You've seen my car, I know nothing of spray guns. Sorry!

All part of my part of my plan for world domination! I figure I can sneak in unnoticed then! :Ban1:

joe's gt
07-23-2009, 10:34 PM
Wam! http://www.purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/techinfo/HVLPspraygun.html

Good budget gun. Just make sure your compressor is up to the task.

My dad used a harbor freight on his jeep. Did the job just fine.

88st165
07-24-2009, 05:15 AM
^I also used a harbor freight hvlp gun to paint my white 165. It def is not anywhere near as good as a decent gun but diy on a budget its ok. It came out alittle orange peel but I used single stage paint so I could wetsand and buff it out.

joe's gt
07-24-2009, 08:50 AM
^I also used a harbor freight hvlp gun to paint my white 165. It def is not anywhere near as good as a decent gun but diy on a budget its ok. It came out alittle orange peel but I used single stage paint so I could wetsand and buff it out.

Ya man, I think most of that orange peel would have gone away with a two stage. With a two stage, color sand, and buff you probably would have gotten a mirror finish. Its the reducer combined with the clear coat that helps you get that smooth, mirror like finish.

Mafix
07-24-2009, 01:32 PM
i use iwata guns. sada are nice as well.