PDA

View Full Version : New pix of the V six

88GT2GTS
07-21-2009, 05:33 AM
It's been a while since I posted some pix so I thought I'd share the pix I took yesterday.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b196/jpuehl/DVC01045.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b196/jpuehl/DVC01043.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b196/jpuehl/DVC01044.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b196/jpuehl/DVC01041.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b196/jpuehl/DVC01042.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b196/jpuehl/DVC01046.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b196/jpuehl/DVC01048.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b196/jpuehl/DVC01049.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b196/jpuehl/DVC01047.jpg

vip09
07-21-2009, 05:39 AM
Cool! How fast is it?

88GT2GTS
07-21-2009, 05:55 AM
Cool! How fast is it?

Not as fast as it could be. I use the car for auto-cross racing so it has about 3 1/2* of front camber. Because of the camber and all the torque, I have to leave at idle and slowly roll into the throttle. The best it's run is low 14's in the 1/4. If I had some MT drag radials and 0* camber it should fly.

88GT2GTS
07-21-2009, 06:03 AM
At the end of last month, I installed the aluminum flywheel I've had for a few months. I also recently received my custom aluminum radiator that I am going to install after this weekends race. This will eliminate the copper pipes running cross the front of the engine to connect the cooling lines.

MrWOT
07-21-2009, 06:12 AM
rear brace?

88GT2GTS
07-21-2009, 06:55 PM
rear brace?

That's on the list for mods over the winter.

RedRkt01
07-21-2009, 07:26 PM
I respect your 4th Gen.

Colossus20v
07-21-2009, 07:39 PM
that looks great. How does it fair in the autocross?

Lonestag
07-21-2009, 07:47 PM
Wow man, that is a sweet ride.
I hope I can get my GTS looking half that functional.

Mafix
07-21-2009, 09:56 PM
hey jim. been a while. looking good buddy.

alwayzsidewayz
07-21-2009, 11:14 PM
looking very smart, nice to see some new pics

88GT2GTS
07-21-2009, 11:53 PM
that looks great. How does it fair in the autocross?

Actually it does crappy! Well, not crappy but I'm in a "catch all" class for cars over 2.5 liters. I keep getting beat by a good friend of mine with a 5.0 Mustang. The car itself is getting better and a blast to drive.

hey jim. been a while. looking good buddy.

I know! I've been swamped at work and a lot of outdoor projects around my place.

88st165
07-22-2009, 05:05 AM
Wow not even carpet, that is hardcore haha. Looks awsome!

CriScO
07-22-2009, 05:07 AM
Ah, good to see you're still aboard, you haven't been around since I started modding this section. All I knew of you was from the stickied thread.

burnyd
07-22-2009, 06:26 AM
coo which tranny is on that car a s series of e153?

Mafix
07-22-2009, 02:44 PM
e153

88GT2GTS
07-22-2009, 06:01 PM
coo which tranny is on that car a s series of e153?

Yup, it's the E153. The S tranny will bolt to the V6 but you need to make a custom carrier bearing mount as the S tranny is smaller and the axle is closer to the block. I don't think the MR2's use a carrier bearing with the S tranny (I could be wrong though). I just used the V6 carrier bearing with non-LSD turbo MR2 inner axles and All-trac outer axles. I had a Quaife LSD installed in the tranny.

burnyd
07-22-2009, 06:12 PM
they both use carrier bearings, I did a swap on a 6gc and I know what you are saying... lol I thought I had my swap done with the tranny till I bolted the carrier bearing bracket to the block tried to fit the innter axle and immediately just said fuck :( lol, the worse part is its a 80 dollar part from the dealer just for the carrier bearing bracket.... is your motorset a complete drop from a solara / camry?

Mafix
07-22-2009, 07:17 PM
how do you like the diff jim. i've been considering between the kaaz and the quaife

88GT2GTS
07-22-2009, 07:25 PM
they both use carrier bearings, I did a swap on a 6gc and I know what you are saying... lol I thought I had my swap done with the tranny till I bolted the carrier bearing bracket to the block tried to fit the inner axle and immediately just said fuck :( lol, the worse part is its a 80 dollar part from the dealer just for the carrier bearing bracket.... is your motorset a complete drop from a solara / camry?

My setup is from a few various sources: the motor is from an '02 Camry and I did get all the parts like ECU, harness etc from it to do the swap but I had free access to a '95 Avalon and used the ECU, harness, intake parts, exhaust manifolds, etc from it since it didn't have drive by wire and a return style fuel rail. The tranny is from a '00 Camry.

One of my winter projects will be to convert to the "stand-alone" MAF sensor which is post '96. Pre '97 used a MAF sensor integrated in a peace of tubing that is very restrictive and can't be removed. With the stand-alone unit, I can put it in a larger tube and hopefully get a little more power from the motor. I have a '99 ECU so if I can't figure out how to get the MAF separated from the tubing I'll convert to the '99 ECU. The '99 uses a 3 coil set up instead of the 6, so I have a few things to change if I go that route.

Another winter project I want to look at is using the 3.3 block and the 3.0 heads and top end. That gives 3.3 without VVT and about 11.5 compression. Supposedly the crank and rods are the same, it just has a bigger bore.

88GT2GTS
07-22-2009, 07:31 PM
how do you like the diff jim. i've been considering between the kaaz and the quaife

I like the Quaife. I really haven't had anything to compare to. There was no way I was even going to consider using the factory viscus LSD. The Quiafe uses the cheaper non-LSD axles. The Quaife is not adjustable like other LSDs are but I couldn't afford to keep taking the tranny apart to try different settings anyway. It definitely helped with the wheel spin. Now I spin both wheels in a corner instead of just the inner :D

burnyd
07-22-2009, 09:55 PM
My setup is from a few various sources: the motor is from an '02 Camry and I did get all the parts like ECU, harness etc from it to do the swap but I had free access to a '95 Avalon and used the ECU, harness, intake parts, exhaust manifolds, etc from it since it didn't have drive by wire and a return style fuel rail. The tranny is from a '00 Camry.

One of my winter projects will be to convert to the "stand-alone" MAF sensor which is post '96. Pre '97 used a MAF sensor integrated in a peace of tubing that is very restrictive and can't be removed. With the stand-alone unit, I can put it in a larger tube and hopefully get a little more power from the motor. I have a '99 ECU so if I can't figure out how to get the MAF separated from the tubing I'll convert to the '99 ECU. The '99 uses a 3 coil set up instead of the 6, so I have a few things to change if I go that route.

Another winter project I want to look at is using the 3.3 block and the 3.0 heads and top end. That gives 3.3 without VVT and about 11.5 compression. Supposedly the crank and rods are the same, it just has a bigger bore.

Coo, I read about the 3mz heads on a 1mz block bumping up the compression seems like a cheep way to add power if you could find a wrecked camry,van solara etc normally the heads on later 1mz's were already unbolted due to the sludge issue in most of them so they should be pretty easy to dissamble, I havent been really into the mz stuff till I got a solara.. someone I cant remember where I seen it can do cam regrinds cant remember where exactly but seemed like a pretty good deal at the time....

The Ecu you used was from an avalon so I am assuming the Auto ecu worked with the manual swap?

88GT2GTS
07-22-2009, 10:23 PM
The Ecu you used was from an avalon so I am assuming the Auto ecu worked with the manual swap?

Yup, from what I remember, the tranny stuff was on one connector to the ECU. My car is not a street car (even though I do test it on the street I live one) so I haven't corrected all the codes the ECU are throwing. The engine runs fine with the auto ECU.

A cam regrind was something I think Mafix also suggested looking into. If I still lived in CA, I could take the heads to a friend of mine to have him put them of his flow bench and see if more lift and/or duration would help. The nice thing about cam-in-head is that you can test the flow of the cam profile rather than just at various different lifts.

burnyd
07-22-2009, 10:46 PM
With Cam regrind, valves I wish I could find the site but it was someone who had lots of experience with mz motors the guy was spinning to upwards around 10k on a 3.3l it was amazing... I cant seem to be able to find it now :( ... with cam in head vehicles... lol what are you used to hahaha?

With the prices of mz motors, you can get them really cheep from a junker, I have seen them go for 4-500 with complete harness... seems like the tranny is the only real difficult and expensive part of the swap, Seems like a better solution for autox like you are using and possibly a much cheeper solution to a 3s swap.... I just wonder how much more power you would make with the head swap and cam regrind...

88GT2GTS
07-24-2009, 06:12 AM
they both use carrier bearings, I did a swap on a 6gc and I know what you are saying...

Does this mean you swapped a V6 into a 6th gen?

burnyd
07-24-2009, 07:50 PM
Does this mean you swapped a V6 into a 6th gen?

Nopes, did a 3s swap in there with a MR2 tranny.... which is a similar transmission just that the shifter linkage is in a different area than on a ff car.

KoreanJoey
07-25-2009, 06:25 AM
I'm disappointed I didn't see you at the National Tour or the National Prosolo up in Packwood man.

Are you excited for Street Mod Front-drive class?

Does mean you'd have to put carpet back in.

88GT2GTS
07-27-2009, 05:29 PM
I'm disappointed I didn't see you at the National Tour or the National Prosolo up in Packwood man.

Are you excited for Street Mod Front-drive class?

Does mean you'd have to put carpet back in.

You know I've never thought about doing Packwood but maybe I should try it out next year. We have someone in our club that goes to the national events; I'll have to see if he wants to split a hotel room next year. I'll have to check the rules and see if I can make a real SM car out of mine. That may require maore than just carpet.

Where did you hear about the SM FWD class? I would love for that to happen! If it does, I think I need to get our club to convert from the OSP classes to the SM classes. I would be the leader in the SM FWD class at our track.

EDit I did a Google search and found some chat about SMF and it sounds like it is already in play! I need to check the rule books and if it is an offical SCCA class start pushing our club torwards using the SM classes instead of OSP. I have a little influence being the president of the club and having a car that could/should fit SMF :D

KoreanJoey
07-28-2009, 05:52 AM
Yup SMF was a provisional class this year! The showing has been good so I'd bet money it'll become a full class after this year.

KoreanJoey
07-28-2009, 05:53 AM
PS: Who from your club comes was up for Nats?

88GT2GTS
07-28-2009, 03:02 PM
PS: Who from your club comes was up for Nats?

Tom McDaniels. He drives a red '89 Corvette in AS. I spoke with him last night about going to Packwood and got his opinion on creating an OSPF class similar to SMF, since we use the OSP classes and not SM/SM2. If it becomes an official class next year, we will definitely be doing something.

KoreanJoey
07-28-2009, 04:18 PM
Oh yeah, I remember Tom's C4. Not too many Corvettes run in AS, was cool to see.