PDA

View Full Version : ECU Protecting Me?

joe's gt
07-19-2009, 08:06 PM
So when the engine warms up, as long as its below 180*F I can boost up to 11-12 psi on the jdm ecu. In this really hot whether we are currently having in California, 94-100+ *F, when the engine reaches a little over 180* the engine runs like absolute ass. Sounds like slight misfires under load and the boost gauge pegs to 7-8 psi and doesn't let me go any higher.

Is this the ecu protecting my engine and should I just not worry about it?

I am using NGK bkr6e's platinums at the stock gap. Do I need to switch to bkr7e's gapped at .031?

joe's gt
07-20-2009, 06:13 AM
So I really think this is IAT related. Cuz on the drive back my duplex from home it was dark and was a little cooler out. The car was running at a temp of 200 *F and it boosted to 11-12 psi fine.

Can anyone with a 2nd gen 3s confirm that this is a common issue in hotter climates?

Is it safe to do that mod where you short 2 terminals and it reads a constant temperature? I assume this is pretty unsafe in hotter climates, it just sux that in higher temperature climates every time after a few minutes on the freeway I have to say "that's it, my car can't go fast anymore".

Mafix
07-20-2009, 01:24 PM
i would think that the ecu is pulling timing because of the hotter IAT signal. do you have a link to your engine setup?

presure2
07-20-2009, 02:45 PM
are you still on the TIMC?
in that kinda weather, you could prolly cook a couple hotdogs and burgers on that thing.
sounds like classic heat induced knock response to me.

ChrisD
07-20-2009, 05:59 PM
are you still on the TIMC?
in that kinda weather, you could prolly cook a couple hotdogs and burgers on that thing.
sounds like classic heat induced knock response to me.

^ werd

That said, when you notice this - don't bag on the car as the ECU is seeing knock! Still very capable of blowing up.

That is why many of us have made it our mission to improve cooling on these cars as much as possible. Have you done anything specific to improve cooling / limit the heat? :)

T-spoon
07-20-2009, 06:24 PM
Mm-hmm. This was every day for me coming home from work when I had my stock 90 alltrac in Houston. Earlier morning or later at night in cooler weather were the only fun times. The stock IC is just not sufficient for hot weather.

Freshnicity
07-20-2009, 08:25 PM
+1 on whateveryone said.

FMIC FTW, ill help you put it all together

joe's gt
07-21-2009, 03:02 AM
^^ Will you give me the money for it too? lol.

Thanks guys. That's what I thought. I'd rather be safe than sorry. FMIC will only happen once its not my daily any more. One because I don't have the money and 2 because I can't pass smog with it.

Grot
07-21-2009, 03:05 AM
why cant you pass smog?

Is it too hard to change from the FMIC to the TMIC for your smog inspection, the put the FMIC back on afterwards

lalojamesliz
07-21-2009, 07:59 AM
so our cars wont pass smog in california with a fmic? :(

Shadowlife25
07-21-2009, 11:15 AM
YES THEY WILL.

The Intercooler in no way whatsoever alters emissions and is not subject to the checklist for visual inspection.

Lagos
07-21-2009, 08:04 PM
if you make those tvsv leds, you will visually see when the ecu puts you in low boost mode.

alltracshoak
07-21-2009, 08:24 PM
so our cars wont pass smog in california with a fmic? :(

i believe it will,just dont have a shiny bov mounted on it or if you dont mount it so the tech cant see it

joe's gt
07-22-2009, 02:26 AM
YES THEY WILL.

The Intercooler in no way whatsoever alters emissions and is not subject to the checklist for visual inspection.

U sure Mario? I thought any modification to the induction system has to be CARB approved?

I've heard of N/A cars with a CAI on an otherwise stock motor not even passing.

Lagos
07-22-2009, 08:35 AM
why dont you go just put the fmic on after you passed the smog.
or you can get a water to air ic from an st205. Its about as stock looking as it gets and does a better job than the bbq grill.

Freshnicity
07-22-2009, 03:26 PM
U sure Mario? I thought any modification to the induction system has to be CARB approved?

I've heard of N/A cars with a CAI on an otherwise stock motor not even passing.

I dont think the FMIC will even matter.

Place the BOV closer to the FMIC, on the lower piping so techs wont even look for it.

And worse comes to worse, $350 makes it all good

joe's gt
07-23-2009, 03:20 AM
Well considering this is the first time the celi has been reliably running, I'm just gonna wait till I'm out of school and can get a dd. Then I'll probably throw one on there once my ME degree finally pays off and I got a full time job after school. Don't have any money right now to do it, but once I have the money it will be the first thing I do. Thanks for the input guys.