PDA

View Full Version : 1986 Gt-s with 3sgte Swap

jahnaboi
07-18-2009, 10:54 AM
Hey guys, my cousin has had 3 shops work on his car and that has ended in nothing but failure. I'm pretty mechanically savvy and I'm hoping to help my cousin complete his dream by having his car up before his birthday (October 27th). I am no Celica man (actually a bmw head [e30 specifically - obd1 s52b32 swapped e30]) and I am in dire need of your guys' help.

Things he has acquired and is in the car:

3sgte motor with harness and ecu
Wiring harness extended and completed by Phoenix Tuning (was chopped)
Camry 5 speed tranny

Currently we're trying to start the car but it seems that there is no spark. I was wondering if anyone had pictures of a complete 3sgte motor at almost every angle so I could compare vacuum lines and coolant lines. Also if possible, I'd like to know where I could find out what connectors of the harness connect to what as the previous shops have left everything sitting around/hanging around.

I would appreciate the help and will update this thread as we progress. Criticism and advice is highly welcomed. Thank you!

andy
07-18-2009, 04:14 PM
start simple first. do you have the 3sgte ignitor? Make it spark first, without that the fuel injectors wont fire and you wont get anything. You can also check the diag box and see whats not working. read the bgb on this forum

jahnaboi
07-18-2009, 08:02 PM
start simple first. do you have the 3sgte ignitor? Make it spark first, without that the fuel injectors wont fire and you wont get anything. You can also check the diag box and see whats not working. read the bgb on this forum

The ignitor coil? That sends a current to the distributor cap? If that's what your talking about, yes. If not, then do you have a picture of what the ignitor looks like?

Yesterday I tested the ignitor coil pack to see if it was sending any current and before cranking its sending 12v's as we're cranking it surges down. Should it be sending an increased amount of voltage?

-Jasper

kungFUBAR
07-18-2009, 11:27 PM
You should have an igniter and a seperate coil. The igniter is your ignition control. Without it, you won't get any spark at all.

http://i14.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/89/13/2646_1.JPG
Should look something kind of like that.

jahnaboi
07-19-2009, 12:39 AM
Yes sir. Must I get my cousin a 3sgte second gen specific igniter or is there a common celica I could use it from?

kungFUBAR
07-19-2009, 07:46 AM
You will need the igniter specific to that engine, it's the same pn for the trac and the mr2, 89621- 12050. A1Cardone has it priced at $153.99.

Be glad you're not needing the igniter for the 3sge that came in the car originally, those go for about $400 lol

joe's gt
07-19-2009, 07:59 PM
I agree with Andy. Eliminate one problem before moving on to others. Get it to spark, and then move on to the next thing. If you didn't have that ignitor then the engine wasn't going to spark. Hopefully you get it to spark now and then post up on here with your next problem.

jahnaboi
07-19-2009, 09:01 PM
Seems as though my cousin found the 3sgte specific igniter in his car under the pile of parts in it.

Plugged it in, connected the battery and no spark. I only had enough time to do that quick test before I had to go handle some work. Tomorrow I will be going back to my cousins house and further diagnosing the problem. Baby steps seem to be the only way.

At any rate, if all fails, I'm pulling the motor and going plug by plug and labeling everything based on ETK manuals.

jahnaboi
07-21-2009, 09:39 AM
By the way, the motor is a second gen 3sgte motor.

Anyone know how to check if the igniter is still good? Like pin to pin resistance or what not?

Also I have a couple of plugs that need verification. I will snap pictures and post the wire colors soon. Thanks guys so far.

joe's gt
07-22-2009, 02:35 AM
Is there fuel and no spark? Or neither?

jahnaboi
07-22-2009, 08:27 AM
Fuel but no spark.

Do you know how much voltage the ignition coil puts out to the distributor cap/rotor/spark plug wire?

Diagnosing the no spark I'm reading 12v constant from the on position of the key at the ignition coil and as the motor turns it drops to 8.4 - 9.5 volts.

I have power coming into the distributor cap but the spark plug wires have no voltage at all coming out of them. So I'm assuming the cap must be the culprit as it isn't delivery the power.

I have a list of the colored wires I need help on identifying. Please help and thanks.

jahnaboi
07-23-2009, 01:59 AM
Can anyone identify these wires for me?

- Number of Wires - Colors

1) 2 - Red/Blk & Red/Blu
2) 2 - Wht/Blk & Blk/Orange
3) 2 - Brown & Blue
4) 1 - Blk/White
5) 2 - Wht/Blu & Wht/Red
6) 1 - Blu/Blk

Thanks guys would really appreciate the help!

jahnaboi
07-23-2009, 10:43 PM
Here's pictures of the wires I need help identifying.

These wires are located near the alternator.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a85/jahnaboi/IMG_5119.jpg

These are located near / under the temperature sensors

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a85/jahnaboi/IMG_5120.jpg

And this is located near the battery.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a85/jahnaboi/IMG_5121.jpg

-Jasper

CriScO
07-24-2009, 01:15 AM
The black and white wire in the top pic sure looks like the starter solenoid connector to me. It's on the other side of my cars, I know your starter's located differently but I can't picture it right now...

I'm fairly sure the blue one in pic one goes to the A/C compressor.

Sorry, it's been a while since I've messed with my wiring. I'm sure we'll get someone in here that knows.

88st165
07-24-2009, 01:37 AM
In the 2nd pic the big white plug looks like the one that plugs into the trans. Reverse light maybe.

jahnaboi
07-24-2009, 05:12 AM
I don't believe its the starter solenoid for the black/wht connector. We have an established starter solenoid.

The reverse light might be true. I'll see about it. Keep the suggestions coming please. =)!

Rick89GTS
09-23-2009, 08:37 AM
...I was wondering if anyone had pictures of a complete 3sgte motor at almost every angle so I could compare vacuum lines and coolant lines.....
Search vacuum hoses at www.alltrac.net and www.st162.net we've posted diagrams on those sites. I'll see if I can find the links...

Rick89GTS
09-23-2009, 08:50 AM
OK, found the direct link:
http://www.st162.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=731&hilit=vacuum

Pics courtesy of "Youds"

3S-GTE

Diagrahm

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j244/Youds/3sgtevacuum.jpg

Routing

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j244/Youds/3sGTErouting.jpg

Shadowlife25
09-23-2009, 09:35 AM
Are you in Northern California?

If you're near me, I can come help you get it running.

jahnaboi
09-24-2009, 08:57 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the help thus far.

I'm located in Southern California. North Hollywood to be exact. I wish I had a more trained eye to help my cousin but I just don't have the knowledge.

Thanks Rick for the diagrams. It helps a lot.

Rick89GTS
09-24-2009, 10:07 PM
No problem, diagrams are probably clearer than photos, but let me know us know if you need a specific shot. Good luck.

Shadowlife25
09-25-2009, 01:51 AM
Totally off topic, but did anyone else find it funny that the diagrams for a TOYOTA engine say courtesy of NISSAN ? :laugh: