PDA

View Full Version : no more rwd toyo....

Okctrd
07-14-2009, 06:32 AM
Don't know if this is a repost,

but looks like there's not going to be a rwd toybaru in the future, i was looking
at the August issue of Motor Trend magazine, and on page 15 it says

"Toyota that's going nowhere is the rear-drive sports car
joint venture planned with Subaru. Toyota bought a minor
share in Subaru's parent, Fuji Heavy Industries, after GM
unloaded its stock in the smaller Japanese automaker. Word
is the engineering challenges in creating a rear-drive sports
car that would work as both a Subaru and a Toyota proved too
costly for the potential return."

nooooooo. lol

VikingJZ
07-14-2009, 06:39 AM
Autoblog just showed last week that Toyota confirmed that the LF-A, "Supra successor" hybrid (FTHS), and the Toyobaru will bow at the 2009 Tokyo Motor Show.

But, I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm sure Toyota realizes that they can't survive at numero uno without some more spice in their line-up. I talked to a tech at the dealer a few weeks ago and he said he was at a conference where a Toyota dude talked about how they are working on a muscle car to compete with the Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger. Apparently will feature a V6 (presumably out of the IS line) and a V8 of some sorts.

Okctrd
07-14-2009, 06:47 AM
really, wow, so hopefully the toyobaru will be at the show. and yea a car that would compete with the camaro, mustang, would be sweet!

so its not over. lol

85gtsblackman
07-14-2009, 07:27 AM
toyota make an aforable fun car.....right, this isnt 1985

Colossus20v
07-15-2009, 06:47 PM
Im hoping they come out with something because I am hoping that it will be my next car.

Trance4c
07-15-2009, 07:09 PM
The day I buy a Toyota RWD with a boxer 4 in it is the day I die.

Retarded.

I was talking with the head of SET Toyota about it and I was just hammering him at dinner about how dumb it was, especially when they have the R&D already done on 4A and 3S block setups which have aftermarket support already out there and a large following of Toyota diehards. I still don't think he got it. No better way to alienate your gearheads than throw a boxer motor in it.. blah.

importrcr13
07-15-2009, 07:16 PM
hasn't happend since 2005 (end of celica gt-gts) and even at that it was in the bottom to upper $20's for a mediocre no so tough car... basically all you're paying for is the design.

Mitsubishi looks like its aiming more for the younger croud recently with the cars they're putting out. IE: Mitsu evo starting around lower 30's, and its younger sibling the ralliart -AWD turbo around the mid 20's <-- most bang for the buck IMO

Also more of their family lineup ie: Galant RALLIART pushing close to 300 ponies with the 3.8 v6, and the Outlander SUV with its 2.4L I4, and the 3.0L V6 both sporty fun to drive with the paddle shifters and the new NON-geared transmission.

Mitsubishi went BK a while ago, and since then they've been on a huge comeback... The only vehicle left to work on and bring back to life is the Eclipse... since after the 2k models... they've destroyed its image, from being a quick sports coupe with potential, to a stripper car thats "oh so cute"

makes a motor head wanna puke...

Colossus20v
07-15-2009, 07:21 PM
I'm just hoping we can get a nice RWD or AWD vehicle with a turbo in it and some nice HP/TQ numbers. As much as I love our celicas, I would love to not buy a car and think about what I can swap into it, yet still be affordable.

I just wish something new was coming out that would be promising. and no so expensive.

extremeskillz
07-15-2009, 07:33 PM
^I agree. I was onboard when they said they wanted to make the AE86 Corolla. Did anyone see the new Scirocco R from VW. It's pretty nice? But gets to my point. Toyota is loosing there die hard fan base and we are looking elsewhere for fun!

dynamic73
07-15-2009, 07:44 PM
Ok if Toyota really wanted to get serious about recreating the Celica. Then they should do it right. Look at Ford and how they brought back the Mustang. The new Mustang's with their old school styling. Are selling like hot cakes. Toyota should take the hint. And create a Celica with styling from either a 1st gen or the 3rd gen. Either go from the 75-77 Celica hatchback or a recreation of the 3rd gen. I'm not saying to make an exact copy. But to use an older gen Celica as the base. For something new and modern.

And I'm not really buying the Subaru engine idea. Why use a Subaru engine. Sure the boxer engine is fast. But it's not going to be as reliable as a Toyota engine. If Toyota is known for anything. It's their engine's last forever. Toyota has the most advanced engine facilities in the world. If I want a boxer engine. I'll just go buy a WRX.

Toyota in their wisdom to make much $$$. Dropped their sports car line entirely. I understand the name of the game. Is to make as much money as possible. And they did that at the cost of their loyal Celica and Supra owners. But now if they want to get back into the sport car game. Their not going to win any points. By bring in some new joint venture company cars. Their old school Toyota owners are too smart for that. We want RWD, old school styling, and a engine with modern technology. Maybe I'm alone in this way of thinking. But if I had my way. This is how it should be.

importrcr13
07-15-2009, 08:03 PM
Or we could just save our pennies up and just either get the ISF, IS350, (250 not worth the chassis it sits on) or the LF-A
or wait for the

successor the (FTHS) - Future Toyota Hybrid Supra

jimbob789
07-20-2009, 10:24 AM
i hope it does go through, the pics look freakin awesome, would like the looks of a toyota and the sound of a subaru :)

CollapsedNut
07-20-2009, 01:55 PM
I just dont understand why toyota would not want to use their own engine. Like someone else said, toyota is know for their unkillable motors.

cms-gt4
07-21-2009, 02:43 PM
This might be true. Toyota reports company structure needs to change in America due to profit loss.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090721/AUTO01/907210324/1148/auto01/Toyota+says+it+s+no+longer+profitable+in+North+Ame rica

GT4SOM
07-21-2009, 05:27 PM
^ While reading that article, I found it very interesting that the company's vice president knows that everyone thinks Toyota is boring.

"Toyota is a good car but not exciting. Those are the comments we usually (or) always get," Inaba said.

I definitely agree. I don't think Toyota will see a dime from me as far as purchasing a new car. My girl got a tC, its the most boring car to drive but that's the most sportiest car they have lol. It has a Camry's engine!!

manu
07-23-2009, 12:18 PM
If toyota wants to create a flagship car, they should do just that. i.e. a TOYOTA (not a lexus) with a Toyota block. The supra and celica have always been the cars people recognise toyota for, so they shouldn't throw away this heritage by rebranding them. Hell, the SR20 is as old as the 3S and nissan are still using it. And most of the complaints about the new GTR35 is cuz of its engine (and it's still from the same company). So imagine what'll happen if toyota use a engine from a different company with a different layout. It'll lose its diehard fans and I don't expect it'll get any Subaru ones. I say the age of toyota ruling the sportcar world is over.