PDA

View Full Version : rebuilding the 3sgte..

lees celica st185
07-13-2009, 11:37 PM
:bigthumbu hi all. you have helped me a few times now in the past, and im hoping i could have some ideas again please.. at the moment im rebuilding my st185... ive had the block stripped,hot tanked, bored and homned,arias 87mm pistons ,eagle conrods and arp bolts and a 2.1mm apexi head gasket... im wondering now what to do with the head.. any help would be really usefull. i do have the gti model at the moment im using for spares, i have removed the throttle body and inlet manifold as i have been told it will fit my gt4. i have also been told the cams are very good and better than mine .. the same as the head.. will the head fit mine and is that also better..

lees celica st185
07-14-2009, 08:23 PM
any help on the egr as well please.. a few weeks ago i was enquiring about removing the egr system. after your help i decided to keep it as it appeared to do more good than bad...today i took my cylinder head to the engine shop.bad news ... it not good... skimmed to many times before,needs welding and damaged on the head... i do how ever have a brand new head with no egr.. so do i have to just block off the manifold and remove the egr, or is there other things, i must do.thanks

Mafix
07-14-2009, 08:45 PM
get block offs for the egr. easy fix there
since you are running a gen 2 motor you have a ton of options for the head. research around and see what you want to do with the car.

lees celica st185
07-14-2009, 09:04 PM
hi i dont know if im searchin right but i carnt find much.. i had an idea about the egr but not to sure.. least that is straight foward..the head i cannot find much. theres not much about them over here and trying to buy parts is no how..i have had block done with rods and pistons and i wanted a good job doing on the head.. i heard about a shimless conversion, but same again ,i carnt seem to find anything or anyone who can help.. im also trying to fit the manifold of a 3sge on to a 3sgte. same year but different models.. will make my intercooler better by being a side feed,. wanted to have my turbo clocked but nobody will do it now.. to many bad points so they say..

lees celica st185
07-14-2009, 11:22 PM
ive been looking at hks 264 cams. i ve been told i will need to do a 1ZZFE Valve lifter conversion. i need help on this as i carnt find any info.. what does it include?

joe's gt
07-15-2009, 03:16 AM
Well you can do various things such as port and polish and oversized valves. The rev limit could be raised with stronger springs and the 1zz shimless bucket conversion you were talking about. I don't know how effective an angle valve job is on a 3sgte head.

Cams also highly depend on what turbo you are running and what turbo you are running will tell you where you want your power band to be.

You got to determine what the car will be used for before you can determine what to do with your head.

And IMO using the 3sge manifold is a good decision. Unfortunately tho, idk the details about fitting the iacv, tps, throttle cable, and what actually needs to be modified.

Mafix
07-15-2009, 08:37 PM
why in gods name are you using a 2.1mm HG?

joe's gt
07-15-2009, 09:18 PM
^^ haha, forgot to mention that as well. My thinking is he's trying to lower the compression ratio or something. Which is pointless considering its already at like 8.8 IIRC.

donteatbugs
07-15-2009, 10:03 PM
search for vip09 project thread. he is running the side feed from a 1st gen 3sge. there is a lot more info on the 3sge cams over on mr2oc.com . you can find just about all the info you need on 3s motors over there. 90% of it applies to the celica as well. they will have how tos and answers about the cams and head.

lees celica st185
07-15-2009, 11:03 PM
is the head gasket no good. ?i enquired about the head gaskets at the tunning company and one of the blokes there had an st185 which he had just built.i asked him about it and he said it was about the best on the market.. told me i would have no problems what so ever..and in the future , i could nos it and throw anything at it and it will be fine. have i been robbed, cus it cost a fuckin mint?

lees celica st185
07-15-2009, 11:07 PM
thanks for info about the 3sge.. will try and find it

lees celica st185
07-16-2009, 12:56 AM
i have just read all pages of thread thanks.. bad rust problem ,it was worse than mine ,and i live in england .principle of the manifold looks the same.. the manifold i have is completly different to that though...just hope it will still fit.

joe's gt
07-16-2009, 07:31 AM
Are u sure it wasn't 1.2mm. Cuz that's a very common size for the 3s.

lees celica st185
07-16-2009, 09:10 AM
its an apexi 2.1mm. imported from japan... cost me 200 pound inc p+p..

vip09
07-16-2009, 03:34 PM
You would have been 100% fine with a $80usd cometic gasket.

My first head gasket was an HKS and it was $230usd.. it's identical to the cometic.

Also, I noticed that you are bored out to 87mm. This is really frowned upon if you are looking to make some serious power, as the cylinder bores have been known to crack.

lees celica st185
07-16-2009, 11:06 PM
hi vip. thanks for your reply.. i read youre thread last nite. car looked like mine.lol.good work restoring it., i have just been told that cosmetic make all the gaskets anyway and sold to other companys.dont no if its true or not..as for the cracking of the block,, i did post a few threads asking if it would be a problem.. no was the answer. i have doubts about everthing at the mo .. its a learning process all the time.

Mafix
07-17-2009, 05:31 PM
i would think an 87mm bore wouldn't be an issue as long as the block is tested true. don't let her overheat though. then you'll have to sleeve the block. i'm guessing the tuner you are dealing with is trying to spend your money. personally i'd look into other tuners.