PDA

View Full Version : How to get more low end torque on a budget..??

broderp
07-10-2009, 05:16 PM
03 GTS, AUTO transmission.

What's the most economical way to increase performance on this car. Specifically in the lower rpm. I can't seem to bring myself to rev this engine to 6000 rpm or more (where it really comes alive :burn: )

Low end torque is adequate, but I would like a little more "umph" with my acceration.

I've done some reading here regarding exhuast tuning, custome headers, exhaust manufolds, but most of this stuff is based in physics, (ie $$$ to change)

Can the torque curve be moved lower in the rpm range via an electronic method (ie reprogram a chip/ eprom?)

I have access to a E-prom programmer & Eproms. I have done some for a friends Porche once. Does Toyota have anything like this?

Thanks

nuclearhappines
07-10-2009, 05:45 PM
Do you run high octane fuel ?

An intake manifold spacer, a drop in k&n filter, iridium spark plugs, and 3 or so degrees of timing advance (if you use high octane fuel) will do the trick

If you want a bit more get a conservatively sized catback exhaust but don't change the header...

importrcr13
07-10-2009, 05:52 PM

An intake manifold spacer, a drop in k&n filter, iridium spark plugs, and 3 or so degrees of timing advance (if you use high octane fuel) will do the trick

If you want a bit more get a conservatively sized catback exhaust but don't change the header...

on this size of a motor being the 1.8L, you wouldn't even notice the difference with having the spacer and not having it.

I would agree with the filter, timing advancement, and a MUST on high octane if advancing the timing. 91 no less.

broderp
07-10-2009, 11:07 PM

I thought high octane fuel was a requirement on the GTS, so yes, I do run 91-92 octane and I thought iridium plugs were also required (it's in the owners manual) but I haven't verified whats in the car now.

The K&N filter and timing is a good idea, but thought that would mostly increase HP, at least thats what I traditionally think when you say "filter"

The timing advance is a new one on me.

Thanks for the suggestions.

joe's gt
07-11-2009, 07:56 AM
I thought nuke was dead. lol.

nuclearhappines
07-12-2009, 10:59 AM
I'm alive... my new DJ name is Adandos... the whole nuclearhappines thing is somewhat dead

Mods like cams, headers are all top end...

I thought you were talking about the 95 for some reason ...

Same for the GTS ...

The following mods are all over mods (that give you a power boost in all rpms pretty much) or low rpm mods:

Cold air intake with the right length that is a multiple of your optimum intake length (like if you want a peak at 2500 rpms, you want a total intake length that corresponds to 5 or 6 times the length that the air travels (speed of sound) in the duration that the valve is closed)... this way the 5th or 6th reflection hits the valve as it opens and gives a 'supercharging' effect from the reflected wave.
Intake resonator about 3 times the volume of the cylinder (Smaller volume will hit at higher rpms, larger volumes will hit at lower rpms... about 3 times will help around 2500-3500 rpms....)
Conservatively sized exhaust for high velocity gas exit
Less cam overlap
Higher lift camshaft with no change in duration
Longer intake manifold runner (or a spacer plate)
Lightweight pullies
Iridium plugs , less shrouded plugs and in a related way:
Timing advance
Ported or larger throttle body
Higher compression ratio (overbore pistons, crown topped pistons, milled head, thinner head gasket)
Higher stroke to bore ratio