PDA

View Full Version : Factory air box or cai or ram?

Nate84
07-07-2009, 01:18 AM
I currently have a ram intake and I hopefully snagged one of the last trd drop in air filters available for the stock air box. My question is this: whats the best for the motor? the ram has been on the car for years no issues but id like to be doing the motor good by what ever intake is best for it. any info and feed back is greatly appreciated.

joe's gt
07-07-2009, 01:33 AM
Cold air is best. I like the whole running it through the side of the fender well, right under the fender idea. You won't notice much of a difference without headers and exhaust tho. And even then, meh. Only cams will net you a major difference on the 5s.

Freshnicity
07-07-2009, 01:43 AM
Cold air is best. I like the whole running it through the side of the fender well, right under the fender idea. You won't notice much of a difference without headers and exhaust tho. And even then, meh. Only cams will net you a major difference on the 5s.

Boost will net you nice changes on the 5s.

joe's right though, CAI is probably the best bet, at a good price. But without the other supporting mods, you wont really notice it. Might help the car a little bit.

From what I understand, theres really not a huge difference in the CAI and the short ram, just the longer piping on the CAI and the fact the filter is getting COLDER air then the air thats in the bay.

Id go with a better exhaust with it as well.

Nate84
07-07-2009, 06:35 PM
well ive got the later camry mani along with 2.25 piping with cat delete and a st185 muffler so ive got free flow out the back. with this being my 3rd 5s im not going further than intake and exhaust mods. since i did get the drop in filter today imma go thru with the revert. if i dont notice anything i might try something down the road.