PDA

View Full Version : HID for 7th Gen

ST185
07-03-2009, 06:29 AM
I just want to know if i have to buy aftermarket housings for and HID kit that i want to put on my 7th Gen or do i just plug them in with the stock housings that the car comes with?

importrcr13
07-03-2009, 07:27 AM
stock housing will work... i had some on my 03 and the clamps that hold them in fit right over it... all you should have to do is remove the old bulb unplug , put in the new one put the metal clamp back on, hook up the converter box to your stock bulb plug, mount them somewhere, run the cable to your battery and you're good to go

vip09
07-03-2009, 07:36 AM
Just buy an H7 HID kit and you are set. I've been using them for a few years now.

CarolinaJr.
07-06-2009, 10:01 PM
Is that the same on the 5th gen?

importrcr13
07-06-2009, 10:12 PM
yes, the housing will work, but will look horrible... unless you get clear lamps, and 5th gens use a different type of bulb... the actual HID bulb, and the converters are the same i think but the plug is gonna be different.

Galcobar
07-07-2009, 01:57 AM
The seventh-gen uses a projector for its halogens, which puts it a lot closer to the design virtually all HID lights use.

Keep in mind the bulb provides the light, the lens shapes it. Mismatch the two and you'll have a useless -- or worse, dangerous -- beam pattern. Slapping an HID bulb into a projector designed for a halogen bulb will not produce the same kind of results as an HID projector using an HID bulb. Glare and a rainbow cutoff are common.

The fifth-gen is a much, much bigger issue. The fifth-gen uses a dual-filament halogen bulb in a reflector housing with a lens on the front to shape the beam. You might wedge an HID bulb into the housing, but the results will not be good. Particularly since the lens design mandated by DOT requires a good portion of the light be scattered upwards to illuminate road signs. Combine that with high-intensity, blue-tinged light and you are guaranteed to blind oncoming drivers, as well as waste much of your illumination.

You really want to improve the lighting of your fifth-gen? Go out and buy a set of E-code (not DOT) H4 housings, such as those made by Cibie (best), Bosch, Autopal, or Hella. Combine those with a set of Philips Premium or Osram Super bulbs. If you want more and are willing to sacrifice bulb life try Philips VisionPlus or Osram (not Sylvania) Silverstars.

Freshnicity
07-07-2009, 02:02 AM
Weaksauce, read his post.

Guess ill not be getting HIDs for the 5th :(

Im looking for those H4 housings, and cant find ANY, got any links or hints on where to get them?

importrcr13
07-07-2009, 02:42 AM
Weaksauce, read his post.

Guess ill not be getting HIDs for the 5th :(

Im looking for those H4 housings, and cant find ANY, got any links or hints on where to get them?

I have after market "ebay projectors" in with a set of HID's in my 5th gen. Looks perfectly fine, i've done tons of hid conversions on 7th gens, camrys, tiburons, galants, eclipses, and various trucks. The functionality is the same with High intensity with whatever housing you have, it just multiplies it by the amount of light you're producing.

IE: 8000k will produce almost PERFECT for the standard housing of a 5th gen celicas lamps. Its going to be blue yes, however the LOWER the number the higher light output is emitted. 4500k is almost the brightest the hotter kelvin that it burns the more color it displays the less bright it will appear.

If you're going for a "cool" look anything over 8000k will be projected as a purple(violet) hue, and 8000k is almost perfect blue, then 6000k has a hint of blue with some of the more exotic cars you see on the road, and 4500k is just BRIGHT AS HECK.

In short, if you're looking to get HID's for your 5th gen, you CAN use the stock housing, just go with a higher kelvin bulb, and make sure the plugs will work with the stock harness.

btw... the eBay projectors, really aren't "projectors" as you could imagine, for only $20.00 however the accuracy of projection that it does display with 8000k High intensity is almost that of the 7th gens. I'll take pics when i can get my camera back.

Freshnicity
07-07-2009, 06:40 AM
I have after market "ebay projectors" in with a set of HID's in my 5th gen. Looks perfectly fine, i've done tons of hid conversions on 7th gens, camrys, tiburons, galants, eclipses, and various trucks. The functionality is the same with High intensity with whatever housing you have, it just multiplies it by the amount of light you're producing.

IE: 8000k will produce almost PERFECT for the standard housing of a 5th gen celicas lamps. Its going to be blue yes, however the LOWER the number the higher light output is emitted. 4500k is almost the brightest the hotter kelvin that it burns the more color it displays the less bright it will appear.

If you're going for a "cool" look anything over 8000k will be projected as a purple(violet) hue, and 8000k is almost perfect blue, then 6000k has a hint of blue with some of the more exotic cars you see on the road, and 4500k is just BRIGHT AS HECK.

In short, if you're looking to get HID's for your 5th gen, you CAN use the stock housing, just go with a higher kelvin bulb, and make sure the plugs will work with the stock harness.

btw... the eBay projectors, really aren't "projectors" as you could imagine, for only $20.00 however the accuracy of projection that it does display with 8000k High intensity is almost that of the 7th gens. I'll take pics when i can get my camera back.

From what ive seen, those projecter headlights look stupid though. I would get a pair, but it looks like the beam pattern sucks. No offense. If you can honestly say they look ok, i would try them. But i'd have to be sure.

What bulbs do you run? 8000K?

importrcr13
07-07-2009, 01:57 PM
From what ive seen, those projecter headlights look stupid though. I would get a pair, but it looks like the beam pattern sucks. No offense. If you can honestly say they look ok, i would try them. But i'd have to be sure.

What bulbs do you run? 8000K?

I tried just getting the clear ones instead and I didn't care for the way they looked. I got the black ones with the small projectors. IMO they look okay, but to each his own, you may not like them?

Yes i'm using 8000k they're very blue when displaying. I would recomend for stock housing no less than 6000k

Freshnicity
07-07-2009, 04:30 PM
I tried just getting the clear ones instead and I didn't care for the way they looked. I got the black ones with the small projectors. IMO they look okay, but to each his own, you may not like them?

Yes i'm using 8000k they're very blue when displaying. I would recomend for stock housing no less than 6000k

Where ebay ones do you have exactly?

the black ones?

importrcr13
07-07-2009, 05:17 PM
they're the black projectors... i think i paid somewhere around 20-30$ shipped.

CarolinaJr.
07-07-2009, 07:10 PM
The seventh-gen uses a projector for its halogens, which puts it a lot closer to the design virtually all HID lights use.

Keep in mind the bulb provides the light, the lens shapes it. Mismatch the two and you'll have a useless -- or worse, dangerous -- beam pattern. Slapping an HID bulb into a projector designed for a halogen bulb will not produce the same kind of results as an HID projector using an HID bulb. Glare and a rainbow cutoff are common.

The fifth-gen is a much, much bigger issue. The fifth-gen uses a dual-filament halogen bulb in a reflector housing with a lens on the front to shape the beam. You might wedge an HID bulb into the housing, but the results will not be good. Particularly since the lens design mandated by DOT requires a good portion of the light be scattered upwards to illuminate road signs. Combine that with high-intensity, blue-tinged light and you are guaranteed to blind oncoming drivers, as well as waste much of your illumination.

You really want to improve the lighting of your fifth-gen? Go out and buy a set of E-code (not DOT) H4 housings, such as those made by Cibie (best), Bosch, Autopal, or Hella. Combine those with a set of Philips Premium or Osram Super bulbs. If you want more and are willing to sacrifice bulb life try Philips VisionPlus or Osram (not Sylvania) Silverstars.

Do the Philips Premium bulbs give off that blue tint that a HID bulb would give?

import, do you have any pics of HID's you have put in a 5th gen?

importrcr13
07-07-2009, 10:50 PM
No the Philips will not put off the blue hue... It will be MUCH more clear than the stock bulbs made for the car, blue hints come in two different ways. One is artificially with a sleeve over the bulb which would be like the flash lights you had when you were a kid where you could move the red, blue, or yellow screen over the light and it would emit a color. It weakens the strength of the light which would actually be worse for night driving than just your stock bulbs, and isn't even worth it.

The second would be with the HID setup. Like i said previously the higher the Kelvin, the more color the high intensity will display. I don't have pics of my HID setup bc i dont have my camera, but sometime this week i'll get it and post the pics.

CarolinaJr.
07-07-2009, 11:03 PM
Thanks, it will help a lot to see pics.

Galcobar
07-08-2009, 07:07 AM
Blue tints mean less light is hitting the road. A tint works by blocking a portion of the light emitted, in this case the yellow spectrum. Think of it akin to taking a stream of water from your taps. Turn off the cold tap and you get less water. Cut off the yellow wavelengths and your lights produce less illumination.

I never recommend bulbs with a blue tint. In fact, the only one I've ever suggested as acceptable are the Sylvania (not Osram) Silverstars, which as +50% bulbs (aka ultra-high efficiency). The blue tint on those bulbs cuts the actual output down to just slightly greater than that of standard halogens.

Keep in mind an HID bulb is a completely different technology than a halogen bulb. It's as different as a candle is to a fluourescent light. Colour is no reflection of illuminative power.

Freshnicity
07-08-2009, 09:20 AM
Blue tints mean less light is hitting the road. A tint works by blocking a portion of the light emitted, in this case the yellow spectrum. Think of it akin to taking a stream of water from your taps. Turn off the cold tap and you get less water. Cut off the yellow wavelengths and your lights produce less illumination.

I never recommend bulbs with a blue tint. In fact, the only one I've ever suggested as acceptable are the Sylvania (not Osram) Silverstars, which as +50% bulbs (aka ultra-high efficiency). The blue tint on those bulbs cuts the actual output down to just slightly greater than that of standard halogens.

Keep in mind an HID bulb is a completely different technology than a halogen bulb. It's as different as a candle is to a fluourescent light. Colour is no reflection of illuminative power.

So whats truely the best way to get good lighting, along with the blue color on my 5th gen?

importrcr13
07-08-2009, 02:02 PM
So whats truely the best way to get good lighting, along with the blue color on my 5th gen?

HID 8000k+ , if you go with anything else expecting blue you will be dissapointed.

broderp
07-08-2009, 06:09 PM
Stupid question:

How can you tell the differnce? I was surprised to see my "new" Celica has adjustable headlamps...I assume these may have been an upgrade?

The light is really BLUE in color, compared to the High beams "yellowish" color.

Which do you think I got?

importrcr13
07-08-2009, 07:26 PM
adjusting hid's for the gt-s 7th gen were an option i believe so you do have hids, they may be 4500-5000k which is why you may see a VERY small blue tint to them.

However if they dont have the HID bulb, some higher end halogens when put behind a projector will have the light bent and in some directions of view, you can see a blue tint as well, this doesn't mean the light is producing blue, its that the actual light passing through the projector is reflecting blue, then still omitting the white light

ST185
07-08-2009, 09:23 PM
Anybody have any purple HID's on the car I'm curious to know how it looks or if you can even see anything at night

Okctrd
07-09-2009, 03:36 AM
^ i have a cousin that has purple hids but i would not recommend them, he says he can see fine, but it catches to much attention. lol though he's never been stopped by the police for them.

imo 6k is just perfect.

btw autopal has some e-code headlamps you can get from ebay for like $40, that have the cutoff line.

Galcobar
07-09-2009, 04:33 AM

Make a choice, you either want looks (blue) or performance.

Blue light is inferior for night lighting. Our eyes at night respond to yellow and red wavelengths, not blue. One of two things happen when high-frequency light hits your eye at night. Either you're blinded by glare, or your eye adjusts and you lose your night vision -- which if you're driving means you end up not being able to see what's outside of the cone of your lights (say a pedestrian).

Further, blue light is scattered by water. Rain, mist, fog, snow all scatter blue light to produce a wall of light you cannot see through (this would be part of the reason you cannot see through the sky in daylight).

HID gets away with having a higher colour temperature because it has more overall light output -- there's no shortage of yellow light, it's just a lot more blue.

Freshnicity
07-09-2009, 07:21 AM
Make a choice, you either want looks (blue) or performance.

Blue light is inferior for night lighting. Our eyes at night respond to yellow and red wavelengths, not blue. One of two things happen when high-frequency light hits your eye at night. Either you're blinded by glare, or your eye adjusts and you lose your night vision -- which if you're driving means you end up not being able to see what's outside of the cone of your lights (say a pedestrian).

Further, blue light is scattered by water. Rain, mist, fog, snow all scatter blue light to produce a wall of light you cannot see through (this would be part of the reason you cannot see through the sky in daylight).

HID gets away with having a higher colour temperature because it has more overall light output -- there's no shortage of yellow light, it's just a lot more blue.

So in other words, its just not worth it to have the cool look lol.

No way around that huh?

No way to get an HID set up?

extremeskillz
07-09-2009, 01:54 PM
Just stay with 5000K for pure white and the brightest. Fogs go 3000K for yellow output. If you def want a lil blue but with great output the Max output would be 6000k. I run 8000K and I wish I did 6000K.

Galcobar
07-10-2009, 03:21 AM
It requires quite a bit of work, as you'd have to fabricate a means of mounting HID modules within the housing. It's been done, with varying degrees of success and looks.

Neeltec out of the UK used to offer a quad-light conversion, HID low and halogen high, but it was extremely expensive and they do not seem to be in business anymore.

Search "lighting conversion" for some of the examples listed here.

hyoctane
07-10-2009, 03:42 AM
I've had a 5,300k HID kit in my '01 GT-S for three years now... Absolutely one of the top three "mods" that I have done to my car. Well worth the money... Stay in the lower kelvin range for optimum light.

Galcobar
07-10-2009, 05:17 AM
Blast it, why can I never find that thread with the comparisons of proper HID conversion versus HID in a halogen housing?

We need to sticky that, it comes up too often.

v3
07-21-2009, 11:14 PM
6000k HID bulbs in stock projector housings. Modified the cutoff slightly by blocking the holes that create the "UFO" spots with high heat silver tape.

By far one of the best mods I've ever done.

Ignore the haze above the cutoff, it's from my camera phone. It is not visible with the naked eye.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k42/v3bahumut/0709092150.jpg