PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Test Driver

joe's gt
07-03-2009, 12:30 AM
Hey guys, I'm in the process of looking for a DD. Really leaning towards a 4 door compact truck. Lexus IS and GS series are in the running as well as a Subaru Legacy probably.

I plan on test driving this summer and have never done it.

Any tips or suggestions? What is the procedure, etc.? I really don't want to go to the dealer not knowing anything. I'll research online a little bit, but any tips or suggestions you could give would be appreciated.

New to all this shopping for a new car stuff, so this is just another step in the process.

Tips on going to the dealer and how it works, as well as tips for actually test driving the car are encouraged.

Thanks in advance.

alistair
07-03-2009, 12:57 AM
My Tip: Drive it like you stole it.

Lonestag
07-03-2009, 01:41 AM
I like subies, they can forever as long as you keep the timing belt in good shape.

Grot
07-03-2009, 02:21 AM
Drive it how you would drive if it were yours and you were alone.

METDeath
07-03-2009, 02:40 AM
Drive it how you would drive if it were yours and you were alone.

Yup, also, warn the guy that you are going to drive like you normally do if you are a "crazy" driver. Hard into/out of corners, etc.

CollapsedNut
07-03-2009, 02:53 AM
I got my curent DD for 2 grand cheaper cause I drove the piss out of it during test drive and found it needed new cv shafts, and the tranny had a small amount of slip.
Just exploit every weakness you can find in it and remember, the salesman has about 3-4 grand of negotaion room from the tagged price. Never pay what they are asking, never be satisfied, allways appear that its not what you really want. If your salesman wont go low enough for you, you CAN ask for another salesman.

T-spoon
07-03-2009, 02:54 AM
I like subies, they can forever as long as you keep the timing belt in good shape.

Ya know, I dunno if it was just this car in particular, but I drove a newer.. what was it.. Legacy or Outback recently and man.. I didn't like it. There was an irritating vibration through the shifter the entire time, it was slow as balls, visibility wasn't great and the shifting was harsh.. but.. maybe it was just that car, lots of people love subarus :)

Er, but sorry, that's kinda off topic. Things to do and to avoid when test driving.. well, if you want to be taken seriously and you are young.. try dressing decently. Not super formal but at least business casual, try not to come across as a kid just wanting to go fast. They shouldn't, but I've seen plenty of car salesmen just turn around and walk away or require a deposit or some ridiculous crap just to test drive. Friend of mine had a pontiac dealership laugh at him when he wanted to test drive a WS6. He went to the bank, got the cash to buy it outright, came back and showed the manager the cash and said, "I'm not buying anything from you ever, but here's the cash for that car I was seriously considering but your salesman wouldn't take me seriously". Make sure they know you are a responsible, serious buyer and should be taken seriously.

As far as the drive itself, make sure they let you take it on a freeway, you can test acceleration that way on the ramp and lets you get a feel for how it cruises. You can't tell much at all just staying on surface streets only, so make sure they let you take it on a varied route so you can give it a workout. I wouldn't recommend beating on the car, see what it can do, but don't reinforce the image I mentioned above.

METDeath
07-03-2009, 03:04 AM
Ya know, I dunno if it was just this car in particular, but I drove a newer.. what was it.. Legacy or Outback recently and man.. I didn't like it. There was an irritating vibration through the shifter the entire time, it was slow as balls, visibility wasn't great and the shifting was harsh.. but.. maybe it was just that car, lots of people love subarus :)

Have you ever driven a Dodge Calibur?

T-spoon
07-03-2009, 03:05 AM
Have you ever driven a Dodge Calibur?

Nuh-uh. I've never driven a dodge that I enjoyed very much though. Of course, I've never driven a viper, so perhaps I'm not being fair, but I didn't like their affordable offerings :hehe:

joe's gt
07-03-2009, 06:43 AM
Nuh-uh. I've never driven a dodge that I enjoyed very much though. Of course, I've never driven a viper, so perhaps I'm not being fair, but I didn't like their affordable offerings :hehe:

I've heard vipers have bunch of problems as well. Just random shit that goes wrong.