PDA

View Full Version : Guys, I REALLY need help. The ago old vote.

Cavanagh
07-01-2009, 06:51 PM
Yea, i'm sorry to put this on you. The horse is down and I'm ready to beat it. Lets make it simple and sweet. All-Trac Vs. MR2. I am looking at one MR2 and two All-Tracs. I need some help guys. Really. This is going to be my DD, so take that into consideration. I will post links of both cars. *Also, whichever car i get is going to school with me. (2 1/2hrs away)*

I will start with the MR2.

MR2
-I really do love these cars to death and still do this day is the most fun car i have driven. Even more fun then the faster cars i've driven. The problem is not the practicality, but the seasons in Illinois. If some do not know, we get all 4. And the only thing that holds me against the car i'm looking at, is that it is immaculate looking. And I really feel i would be disrespecting the owner DD'ing it. I was thinking i could drive it back down before the snow and just make do without a vehicle throughout the winter. But still, this car seems too clean to DD.
http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=346949
There it is. The last thing i want is for it to slowly not look as good because of DDing it.

All-Trac
-My first car was a Celica, and i love them. At the Speed-Source meet, seeing all of the 185's made me want to downright sell the MR2, Toyota_Todd can attest to that. I test drove one (as most know) a year ago. It was fun, a little sluggish (well i drive an MR2 :D ) but it was still a very fun car nonetheless. I feel if i get an All-Trac that i can keep it up at school and use it all throughout the year, which is a big bonus to me. Im looking at two actually. They both have 150,xxx miles, which makes me a bit weary because i need a reliable car. I am always hearing that they have problems quite often. But both the MR2 and All-trac have a bunch of receipts and look like they were both very well maintained.

http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=31894

or this

http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=29058

I like them both, but leaning towards black because i like it more then white.

But guys, please help me out here! I need experience of ownership on All-Tracs. But Opinions are always welcome for both sides. I've been here too long and forgot how to make a poll. :duh:

Oh and one last thing, please do not say "get a practical car" or "get a reliable honda/toyota" because quite frankly, that just will never happen.
Thanks alot guys for the help throughout the years.

Mafix
07-01-2009, 07:35 PM
well i think the ball is in your court. those are both good cars, maintenance sucks balls on both. i would take whichever you like best.

Mr. Babb
07-01-2009, 09:48 PM
that duce is sexy as hell, I really like the black 185 too

donteatbugs
07-01-2009, 10:10 PM
all those cars have rust, from my experiance the this is one of the major selling factors for me since most of the time it will always come back to haunt you. other than that i would say go with the mr2.

Nitro_Alltrac
07-01-2009, 10:13 PM
Be sure before you move on either one to check to see what maintenance has been done and what kind of mechanic condition the cars are in. All Trac's, if they have been maintained, are not some maintenance horror from the abyss. A lot of the cars that people bitch about have had the dog piss run out of them and have not been kept up. Any car that is treated like that for 15 years or more and 100K+ miles will be a nightmare for an owner some where down the road.

I've had my All Trac for three years. The maintenance on it has not be any worse than any other car that I've owned and better than some. (Some things are harder to get to on an All Trac than other cars due to some of the extra bracing.) You have to maintain the vehicle (oil changes, coolant changes, check bearings, boots, etc.) but this should be happening on any car. I will say that the guy I bought the car from had done a ton of the maintenance to it before I bought it. He'd replaced the tie rods, the brakes, the bearing, put a new exhaust on it and some other things. Items like this are things that you want to look for when checking these, or any, car out.

The thing to keep in mind is that a lot of MR2's and All Tracs will have been run VERY hard during their lives due to what they are. If they've been maintained, not so much of an issue. If they've been rode hard and put up wet, well different story. Check them out closely and go with the one in the best condition. Starting with a better vehicle in the first place will make life easier down the road.

ccsouls
07-01-2009, 10:24 PM
Well, I couldn't see the MR2 pics because I am not a member of that site, but in all honesty I would pick the 185 with the least rust.

Not because this is a Celica site, but because it is more in line with where you are in life over the next two years. You will need the extra cargo space, seats, and you will not be able to go without a car in the winters.

MR2s are great cars, but in my opinion they are more "toys" than DDs. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have an MR2, but only as a second car; not primary.

Just my 2 cents.

Cavanagh
07-02-2009, 12:24 AM
Thanks guys, I'm going to go with a ST185 for the AWD purposes for Illinois. It's going to be hard to let go of my MR2. Maybe i can convince the parents to let me store it in the garage. :) I'll update ya guys,.

goretro77
07-02-2009, 12:42 AM
Just my opinion.

go for utility first and get the AWD since its your daily and your IL like I am. Winters here are harsh on any car. Get one thats reliable and functional, you will beat on it hard since it will be your daily driver and winter car.

Got to school, get the grades, get the job which will let you get your "fun" car later.

geebes
07-02-2009, 01:39 AM
Buy my car you cunt-hole. Otherwise that black alltrac looks pretty sexy.

METDeath
07-02-2009, 02:12 AM
I'm in the 185 as well, simply because of the hatch (CARGO ROOM), and the AWD.

Luni
07-02-2009, 02:19 AM
I say have both.

Keep your MR2, use as a daily when the weather is good, and use the alltrac when its not.

Keeps the miles of both of them.

I dunno. I daily drive an MR2 in Utah, and my winters are as bad or WORSE than yours. I wouldnt trade my MR2 for an alltrac.

Shadowlife25
07-02-2009, 03:37 AM
But luni, you have a modded boosted 2. That's no where near what he's looking at.
From a utilitarian pov, I would say AT if it has records and has been maintained well.

Also, (because I honestly don't know) do they salt the roads in UT?

Lastly, I'm 100% with Mike on this one, as long as you maintain a car regularly, and it was previously well cared for it will provide you with years of reliable service.
This is a principal that applies to ANY vehicle.

Keep in mind a few things when making your decision:

Be honest about your own mechanical ability.
Do you have time and are you willing to perform basic maintainance?
Can you afford basic maint. costs?
Can you afford the average annual fuel cost for your vehicle of choice?
What will be the primary purpose of the vehicle?

Just some things to keep in mind Cav. :)
Best of luck in your decision.

Freshnicity
07-02-2009, 03:46 AM
Just get the All Trac. So what if it weighs 3600lbs or whatever it is. And who cares if its a pain in the butt to maintain and work on.

Its a Celica, and AWD, and turbo.

Easy choice in my eyes son.

Toyota + Celica + AWD + Turbo = Success.

Cavanagh
07-02-2009, 03:59 AM
Keep in mind a few things when making your decision:

Be honest about your own mechanical ability.
Do you have time and are you willing to perform basic maintainance?
Can you afford basic maint. costs?
Can you afford the average annual fuel cost for your vehicle of choice?
What will be the primary purpose of the vehicle?

Just some things to keep in mind Cav. :)
Best of luck in your decision.
Thanks alot everybody. I'm looking at that black 93 in colorado.
-Basic, yes
-yes
-yes
-all around semi-practical sports car

geebes
07-02-2009, 06:01 AM
I still think you are a cunt-hole. :)

joe's gt
07-02-2009, 06:04 AM
3sgte = no dd IMO. Its a turbo and it generates a crazy amount of heat. Its a bitch to work on if certain components break. Idk man, for me, 3sgte isn't a good choice for a daily. The heat it generates causes accelerated wear.

Cavanagh
07-02-2009, 07:18 AM
Ahhh! I'm stuck! Well, GB's i would love your car, but i cant do FF again. :(

joe's gt
07-02-2009, 08:03 AM

I here ya on that. After driving fwd for 6 yrs. I NEED to experience rwd or awd.

Ghosty
07-02-2009, 08:09 AM
Cav, I'm voting for neither.

AWD is nice in Illinois, even if it won't get you stellar gas mileage (which you may or may not need, depending on your college budget).

I'd say find a nice Subaru Impreza. Not a WRX, but a 2.5RS. Or a hatch. Anything NA and Subaru, pretty much.

Cavanagh
07-02-2009, 08:23 AM
Yea, i love 2.5rs' but i'm too much of a loyalist to Toyota. It's hard, i hear MR2's are fine with stock rims and winter tires, the alltrac, I'm kind of making myself like, which is not a good sign. The 185 i test drove was so much fun and i loved it to death, but after i bought an MR2, it changed my perspective entirely. All my friends say to get the MR2, but i dont know what to do. I'm going crazy. Luni being in Utah and saying his MR2 does fine winter tires makes me feel better. Because i had summers and i thought i was going to die in the snow.

Cavanagh
07-02-2009, 08:30 AM
I here ya on that. After driving fwd for 6 yrs. I NEED to experience rwd or awd.
Ya, you really do need to experience it, I love being able to flick my car around!

I still think you are a cunt-hole. :)
Love you too! :wiggle:

Luni
07-02-2009, 02:42 PM
Yeah Mario, they salt the roads here, but sometimes, not soon enough, I definately have to go through snow, and ice, and shit sometimes. I have "lake effect" snow too cause of the great salt lake, so the type of winter is similar, but overall I still think mine is worse.

Cav, the LSD really helps a lot in the snow, but even on my stock open diff I ran for about 5 years and had no issues as long as I had a good set of allseasons. Ive never ran straight up snow tires on my MR2.

And since you have to buy one or the other, its a hard choice. I like alltracs, I really do. And of course I like a nice MR2 Turbo. I just wouldnt trade one for the other.

Ill tell you this. Either car is finicky and hard to work on. The MR2 is actually the easier of the 2 to work on. Both of them require you to be up on your game maintenance wise. The MR2 has a much better cooling system, but properly maintained, I dont think the 3SGTE generates any more heat than anything else out there in its class, and is plenty reliable. But I wouldnt buy one to daily it. I own mine now, and I have to daily drive it, but if I were you Id make sure I was set up to not have to. Thats why I said to keep your NA MR2.

Honestly sir, if I were you, Id get the NA in a supporting state. Meaning, if theres anything wrong with it, fix it, get it "tip top" mechanical wise, and use it for your daily. Then get whichever of the 2 suits your fancy the most.

Have you ever driven an MR2 Turbo? An Alltrac? Which one is the one that gets your blood boiling more?

And another final thing. You say its hard for you to work on your NA MR2. What do you think youre going to have in store if you get a turbocharged Toyota? Both of those cars are WAY harder to work on than your NA MR2 is. Well, engine wise that is.

donteatbugs
07-02-2009, 04:05 PM
ill let you drive my alltrac if you come down here....its fun ive been told....

Cavanagh
07-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Luni, that the thing, i have never even driven an MR2 Turbo let alone drive one. I drove an AllTrac and it was pretty damned fun. I dont know, i feel im making myself want an Alltrac. My desire for one has faded a bit away after owning my 2. Maybe if my parents allow it, i can keep my N/A too and just drive that in the snow and leave the MR2T for good weather purposes.

Luni
07-02-2009, 06:43 PM
Go drive an MR2 Turbo dude. Go post on the mr2oc and straight up ask a turbo owner if you can drive their car to get a feel for it.

Then decide which one you want.

Honestly, I think driving them both is gonna decide for you. From a drivers perspective, I feel the MR2 Turbo is more of a "drivers" car. Its faster, and it handles better if you know how to drive it. The only time the Alltrac is faster is in adverse weather conditions, and in which case, you shouldnt be driving fast anyway.

Go drive them both and make your choice.

ChrisD
07-02-2009, 06:53 PM
Practical choice = Alltrac

This is b/c of the 4WD, the 4 seats, extra storage space, etc. I, for one, like the ability to throw my mountain bike in my 165 and head out for the day. (FYI you can actually fit 2 full sized mountain bikes in there with the seats folded down :D )

The MR2 looks like it's in the best shape of the bunch. The JDM engine looks quite clean and it seems to show like a car that the owner really cared for. MR2's are definitely quicker HP for HP, so that is also to be considered. And they definitely handle amazingly. Great cars. But for me, I like the practicality and performance compromise of the GT4's.

3SGTE is fine for daily driving imho. Just keep up on your maintenance and you are fine.

Of the alltrac's, I'd choose the black one as it is more OEM, engine wise anyways, of the two cars. Suspension looks new too which is a plus.

If your looking to liven up the feel of the Alltrac more, new suspension and a whiteline sway bar will go very far. The difference is pretty night and day.

anyways, my 2c fwiw

vip09
07-02-2009, 07:41 PM
Get the Alltrac, they are FUN!! They are slow as balls until you break away from the CT turbos though.

Seriously though, either car you get.. carry a large set of tools!

donteatbugs
07-02-2009, 08:18 PM
the alltrac is rarer....

vip09
07-02-2009, 08:49 PM
the alltrac is more rare....

Fixed. :)

And that black one is a 1993!! I wouldn't feel right daily driving that thing, especially in the winter. There were only 81 of those imported.. and there's no telling how many of those have already been crushed or are sitting in junk yards.

Cavanagh
07-02-2009, 09:33 PM
Yea, the rust on it is making me weary, but i really want it because it's black a rare 93. :) I dont know, we'll see i guess.

joe's gt
07-03-2009, 12:12 AM
Idk, 4 seats is a big selling point for me for any dd.

Luni
07-03-2009, 12:49 AM
LOL, the backseats of an Alltrac dont count as seats.

And you cant honestly stuff MUCH more stuff in the hatch of that thing than you can in the trunk/frunk of an SW20.

Cavanagh
07-03-2009, 12:52 AM
The space issuse does not bother me, it's all about what will do better all around for a DD. I'm leaning towards the MR2 still, because i just love how they drive. And If Lunikinz tells me they do fine in the snow with the right tires, thats making me want to get the two. But in my head it seems too clean to DD. Ahhh!! I'm losing it.

Ghosty
07-03-2009, 01:46 AM
Seriously though, either car you get.. carry a large set of tools!

Which is the point that maybe goretro was trying to get at - you need something to get you through college, perhaps a couple of years after that, until your career picks up.

You've got way too much going on in school to worry about a turboed car giving you trouble. So I say an NA Subie! Yay!

Plus, the rust. I wouldn't want no damned Illinois winter f*ing up an ST185.

geebes
07-03-2009, 05:45 AM

Its ok...I still love you. Nobody likes FF. They do mob decently in the snow though.

joe's gt
07-03-2009, 06:28 AM
Which is the point that maybe goretro was trying to get at - you need something to get you through college, perhaps a couple of years after that, until your career picks up.

You've got way too much going on in school to worry about a turboed car giving you trouble. So I say an NA Subie! Yay!

Plus, the rust. I wouldn't want no damned Illinois winter f*ing up an ST185.

Good advice. Stick with N/A. The only turbo I might trust as a dd is wrx. Those things are very reliable. My dd is going to be a N/A without question.

Cavanagh
07-03-2009, 09:07 AM
I see where you guys are coming from, getting a legit DD, but it wont happen. I'm too stubborn and wont own a practical, slow car :p . I will more then likely go with the MR2. I hate making myself like a car, and should not have to happen. So, i will probably get the MR2. I would love to convince the fam to let me garage the 93 i have now and use it for DD purposes in the snow. The black one does not deserve that, let alone rain.

Shadowlife25
07-03-2009, 09:34 AM
LOL, the backseats of an Alltrac dont count as seats.

And you cant honestly stuff MUCH more stuff in the hatch of that thing than you can in the trunk/frunk of an SW20.

Agreed on the backseats being an afterthought.

I will ask you though Luni: Have you ever been able to fit a 50" plasma screen in the frunk of your mr2? ;)

Nitro_Alltrac
07-03-2009, 01:56 PM
Go drive an MR2 Turbo dude. Go post on the mr2oc and straight up ask a turbo owner if you can drive their car to get a feel for it.

Then decide which one you want.

Honestly, I think driving them both is gonna decide for you. From a drivers perspective, I feel the MR2 Turbo is more of a "drivers" car. Its faster, and it handles better if you know how to drive it. The only time the Alltrac is faster is in adverse weather conditions, and in which case, you shouldnt be driving fast anyway.

Go drive them both and make your choice.

I have to agree with Luni on this perspective. I've never driven a 2 but just from the mid engine layout and the fact it is lighter than an All Trac, it will be a lot more of a driver's car. Almost all of the high end sports cars have this layout. You just have to seriously ask yourself what you're wanting out the car. Both have their pluses and their minuses.

renegadex
07-03-2009, 04:26 PM
MR2 FTW.

I'm not biased or anything :rolleyes:

BabyBear
07-03-2009, 06:25 PM
I've owned two MR2 turbos, and well, I say go with an MR2. They are in fact made of awesome. True story.

celica9303
07-03-2009, 10:56 PM
Keep the slow pile you have and save you money. Then once school is done then buy the cool car. Don't waste tist to have to sit in a college lot 90% of the time and get door dinged and scratched all day long.
IMO

Luni
07-03-2009, 11:15 PM
Lol BabyBear, you OWN 2 MR2 turbos.

Anyone wanna buy a 92 bone stock MR2 turbo? :p

BabyBear
07-04-2009, 12:51 AM
Good point... I haven't sold that thing yet...

ChrisD
07-04-2009, 04:18 AM
the mr2 is the nicest of the bunch, but if you found a clean 185 I would still go with that. They are awesomely fun in the winter. I put a set of Nokian Hakkepellitta RSi's on my 165 and wow...

METDeath
07-04-2009, 04:58 AM
Lol BabyBear, you OWN 2 MR2 turbos.

Anyone wanna buy a 92 bone stock MR2 turbo? :p

Depends, what's not wrong with it? :lolhittin

BabyBear
07-04-2009, 05:49 AM
I own two of them is what's wrong with it. Everything but the ABS works on it, and the motor still runs strong

Kiasis
07-04-2009, 06:40 AM
If the main reason for the Celica is winter AWD for safety reasons, don't bother. I grew up in Maine and Canada and never crashed a RWD or FWD simply by not over-driving the conditions. Drive safely in winter, let'er rip when the snows gone. Get the car you want to drive in the spring, summer and fall, and just be smart in the winter. Hell, even in Maine, where we had only two seasons, winter and 4th of July, it's just a matter of driving the conditions to survive today and then go nuts when the roads are better. It sounds to me like you'd rather have the MR2. Get it. Take care of it. Be safe in the winter. Enjoy the performance the other three seasons.