PDA

View Full Version : More HP?

zane2614
07-01-2009, 04:09 AM
I have a 1992 celica st, its manual, black, and in decently good shape.

Does anyone know how I can add more hp to my car? Its a four-cylinder I don't want to buy a new engine or anything I'm only 17 with a part-time job. I want to save up and buy new headers, exaust, intake, plugs or somethings like that but I don't know a lot about cars (only becoming interested about them once i actually got my own) so I was wondering if anyone has some suggestions on what to get. And be specific...

Another thing, I have a left over head unit from a different car i owned (and totaled), and i bought the wire harnesses and dashkit from Audio Plus and then had my my older brother attempt to put it in my car, and he couldnt get the head unit to fit into the dash kit and he started cutting pieces off to make it work, but ultimately he failed because the aftermarket head unit wouldnt fit into the dash itself for that matter. He tinkered with it for like and hour but just couldnt get it to insert into the dash it was pretty frustrating. He said i should have Audio Plus or something do it for me. Has anyone else had this problem? I remember someone saying it didn't fit because the dash kit is for the '92 celica, so it shouldnt be a surprise the more current head unit from th 2000's didnt fit.. which is a bummer. I don't want to spend the money to have that done, so i hoping someone has some advice on that?

DudeMan
07-01-2009, 04:20 AM
It's an ST man, its fuel economical, not fast.

I would just upgrade the suspension.

Look around a little, there's lots of info.

zane2614
07-01-2009, 04:33 AM
true, i'll look into that. thanks.

a_mounty
07-01-2009, 04:40 AM
i had a similar issue with the radio.... took it back got my money back and found out that with the old radio out using the brackets that hold the cd player and radio together i could mount my "new" one

zane2614
07-01-2009, 05:36 AM
a mounty can you like take a picture of your dash area right there. i'm really wanting to know what that looks like

Galcobar
07-01-2009, 08:33 AM
Try looking at the stickied threads in the audio forum, you'll find the pictures and how-tos. I cannot think of any head unit on the market which would not fit into a double-DIN opening such as the Celica offers, short of ones with full screens.

a_mounty
07-02-2009, 04:05 AM
its rather simple... does your radio have the double deck thing with radio on top and cd player on bottom? well the two brackets one on each side that holds the two together take them off and find where they line up with something on the new radio and viola

zane2614
07-02-2009, 06:45 AM
it was awhile ago since i tried to put the head unit in, but i'm sure that is the case if you also own a 5th gen celica. I'll give it a look see tomorrow. Thanks for the help man.

ChrisD
07-02-2009, 08:25 PM
Check the stickies in the NA forum: http://www.celicatech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16

However, as many here have found, an engine swap is surely the most straight forward way to more power... ;)

Read, learn, get confused, ask questions, learn some more. Glad to have ya on the site.

DaneDog311
07-05-2009, 06:42 AM
jack it up and drop and all-trac on top of it :)

st's aren't fast sorry... advance your timing 5 degrees and add a CAI and Catback... that is all

zane2614
07-07-2009, 12:00 AM
thanks for all the input that pretty much answered what i needed to know