PDA

View Full Version : Radiator fan stuck off?

alistair
07-01-2009, 03:27 AM
Ok, Heres the situation.

My rad fan doesn't seem to work at all. When the car is driving at >60km/hr it won't overheat if I don't work it too hard, but in stop and go traffic it quickly overheats.

Got it home, the temp gauge was a little bit past half, Fan wasn't spinning at all. I pulled the fan control relay and I believe the alltrac is wired so that the fan fails on. Swapped fuses and it still wouldn't spin even with the temperature getting higher and higher.

I still need to crack out my multimeter but I think I might just get an aftermarket fan that does more CFM. Any suggestions on what to get? Will any 12" fan fit?

Thanks

T-spoon
07-01-2009, 03:37 AM
Ok, Heres the situation.

My rad fan doesn't seem to work at all. When the car is driving at >60km/hr it won't overheat if I don't work it too hard, but in stop and go traffic it quickly overheats.

Got it home, the temp gauge was a little bit past half, Fan wasn't spinning at all. I pulled the fan control relay and I believe the alltrac is wired so that the fan fails on. Swapped fuses and it still wouldn't spin even with the temperature getting higher and higher.

I still need to crack out my multimeter but I think I might just get an aftermarket fan that does more CFM. Any suggestions on what to get? Will any 12" fan fit?

Thanks

Take it for whatever it's worth, but in my experience with late-80s fascias, you'll need good fans that have a shroud that seals around the radiator if you want it to do a good job. I tried just any old fans before and had really bad results. 1-piece units that include shroud and fan per application work well, like Flex-a-lite (although I dunno if they make'm for alltracs).

DaneDog311
07-05-2009, 06:43 AM
pull the temp sensor... the fan should kick on instantly... the celicas are wired that if temp sensor fails... the fan goes on...

ChrisD
07-05-2009, 06:53 AM
most likely a dead fan motor.

i just picked one up from siliconeintakes.com, was cheap and seems to work quite well. thats my vote if you're on a tight budget. otherwise i'd look at SPAL's line. i got a 12"...which actually nets more space because of how thin they are.

importrcr13
07-05-2009, 07:41 AM
pull the temp sensor... the fan should kick on instantly... the celicas are wired that if temp sensor fails... the fan goes on...

i second this... my temp sensor was corroded around the actual plug to which the fan never kicked on, but it also still showed the temp sensor working. Unplugged it, had a dummy light kick on and the fan started right up.

Went to Napa (or autozone cant remember) got a new temp sensor, cleaned out the plug... hooked it all up and haven't had a problem since then...

alistair
07-06-2009, 02:44 AM
I hooked my fan up to a 9V battery and it spun. i'll go grab a new temp sensor this week and put it in.

We're talking about the one located at the bottom of the radiator correct?

Grot
07-06-2009, 02:51 AM
I hooked my fan up to a 9V battery and it spun. i'll go grab a new temp sensor this week and put it in.

We're talking about the one located at the bottom of the radiator correct?

That would be the right one sir

celica91gts
07-06-2009, 09:41 AM
have you checked your thermostat? my fan wouldn't turn on because the thermostat wouldn't open.