PDA

View Full Version : 7m-gte rwd 5gen celica

MasterRickard
06-28-2009, 06:32 PM
Hello i'm new here so hello everyone :)

Well i'm thinking about fitting a 7m-gte with gearbox into my 5th gen celica,
Do you think it's possible?

It's a serious thought not just a dream i had.

//Rickard

Trance4c
06-28-2009, 06:37 PM
Anything is possible, with enough money and custom, anything can be done.

Question I have is, who is rebuilding the car to accommodate these modifications?

85gtsblackman
06-28-2009, 06:56 PM
probally not without throwing 30,000 at it

just use a 3rd 2nd or 1st gen seeing that they are already rwd

MasterRickard
06-28-2009, 07:12 PM
I make all modifications myself, I'm quite used to fabricating parts myself.

I want to use the 5th gen becasue i like it the most and thats the one i own. I think it would be a pretty unik project and fun if it works :)

(sorry if I spell wrong, my english writing is not the best)

//Rickard

cms-gt4
06-28-2009, 09:26 PM
Find yourself a awd rear floor pan from a awd celica. You will likely have to look into firewall options as well. Take lots of pics, and keep us posted on what you decide.

85gtsblackman
06-29-2009, 07:52 AM
i wonder could u modifly the bottom of an ae86 or ae85 and use the 5th gen body?

Shadowlife25
06-29-2009, 09:23 AM
the 7m series are an inline 6 cylinder. They are a much longer engine. There would be lots of cutting involved... Best of luck in your efforts though. :)

METDeath
06-29-2009, 12:44 PM
i wonder could u modifly the bottom of an ae86 or ae85 and use the 5th gen body?

Why? You can just purchase the ST185 rear floorpan for about $300 or so, weld that in, obtain all the ST185 rear bits and the gas tank, then you're good to go!

partyball
06-29-2009, 02:56 PM
the 7m series are an inline 6 cylinder. They are a much longer engine. There would be lots of cutting involved... Best of luck in your efforts though. :)

The 5thgen has a decently long front end...it might not be as bad as you would think. I would like to see someone try this though. Its always been my dream to drop a 2jz into a 1st gen celica :wiggle:

cms-gt4
06-29-2009, 06:13 PM
The 5thgen has a decently long front end...it might not be as bad as you would think. I would like to see someone try this though. Its always been my dream to drop a 2jz into a 1st gen celica :wiggle:

Well a lexus v8 fits in the front of a 1st gen with some work, I do not see why a 2jz would not. I have see a TT v8 awd 1st gen that uses a GTR drive train.

If I was going to start a new project today, I would likely get a IS300 and look at engine swap options.

importrcr13
06-29-2009, 06:33 PM
If you go to cardomain.com and put in toyota celica 90-93, there is a 5th gen with a Ford twin turbo V8 dropped in it RWD. That engine is huge too, so if that can be done, this should be a walk in the park...

85gtsblackman
06-29-2009, 06:34 PM
think before you speak

a 2jz is longer because its an inline six, a 1uz is shorter lenth wise because its a v8

importrcr13
06-29-2009, 06:50 PM
think before you speak

a 2jz is longer because its an inline six, a 1uz is shorter lenth wise because its a v8

i Thought about it. I'm talking about the 7m-gte not the 2jz. or the 1jz.....

cms-gt4
06-29-2009, 08:39 PM
I was talking about the 1uz. You are going to have to modify the firewall for either engine, so if you can do one, you can likely modify it slightly more for the other.

The 1UZ is 25" (680mm) long and the 2JZ is 30" (770mm)

So take measurements of your engine bay, then you can see how you have to modify the firewall to make it work.

joe's gt
06-30-2009, 03:47 AM
IMO, as cool as it would be to do something like this, by the time its done, there probably won't be any money left to actually make it fast. Maybe if you could give us a budget you are working with, we could probably tell you whether it could be done in that range. Well not me, lol, but some of the guys on here who are more knowlegable about the engine and chassis differences.

FourVeeSix
06-30-2009, 07:00 PM
1gz-fe...2gz-fe :)

Be a devil.

PhillyDRFT
06-30-2009, 08:54 PM
Theoretically you could fabricate a tunnel in your existing floorboard for a driveshaft and modify the firewall to accommodate the bell-housing and Longitudinal design/setup of a RWD engine. Imagining this won't be a daily driver you can regain a lot of the chassis strength by installing a well designed rollcage.

Replacing a WHOLE floorpan is not something for the feint of heart. It is a KEY element in the uni-body design. Idealy you would have to strip the car entirely (engine, removable body pannels everything that comes off) Set it up on a rotisserie rack to take ALL of the stress off of the chassis. (even this is arguable because you can't get around gravity) Then you can begin cutting out and replacing your floorpan. Every measurement must be as close to perfect as humanly possible since this will effect the geometry of the entire vehicle.

Imho, you can cheat this a little by installing the Full roll cage FIRST which if made rite will alleviate a lot of the stress put on the floorpan. Then you can begin cutting your tunnel out ( I personally would cut it in 1 ft strips and tack weld in some steel bar just to keep the geometry straight wile fabbing up the tunnel.)

There's a lot involved than just cutting and sticking a new pan in guys. The car is engineered like a jenga puzzle, and you're trying to replace the bottom ones.

It's doable and sounds a lot more daunting than it really is! You just need to be very patient & creative. Try to think out every possible scenario. What will this effect etc..

I do encourage you to try! I always support playing the hand you're delt.

cms-gt4
06-30-2009, 11:21 PM
It is possible the driveshaft tunnel is already there. We have verified that some if not all 18x models have the driveshaft tunnel already. The rear hatch area is the part of the floor pan that needs to be replaced for the sake of mounting points for the rear end. They sell fire wall kits for hot rods that could likely be used to clear the bell housing.

Its worth looking into to make a cool 5th or 6th gen.

fibrewizard
07-01-2009, 05:28 AM
justen gt8 ..... in toymods.net forums ........ 1-uz twinn turbo.. V8 rwd......

group A gt4 5th gen

MasterRickard
07-01-2009, 09:33 AM
If I go throu with this project i will rebuild the existing firewall and floorpan, and probably use as mutch as I can from the mk3 supra driveline.

I dont imagine this will be an easy project, but a lot of fun :) and I think I have the patiens (spelling..?) needed for a project of this size.

I have tought about a rollcage, but I have not dicided if I would do that, mabe.

fibrewizard
07-02-2009, 03:05 PM
i seriously think a straight 6 is too long........there will be too much weight forward of the wheels which will drastically decrease handling and massively increase understeer.....

fibrewizard
07-02-2009, 03:06 PM
what do you plan to do with the powersteering..... as it sit just above the tunnel.......will either have to remove or replace else where..... as tunnel mods will interfere with steering rack?

Smaay
07-02-2009, 05:57 PM
i Thought about it. I'm talking about the 7m-gte not the 2jz. or the 1jz.....

the 7M is just as long as a 2J...they are both I6

Trance4c
07-02-2009, 06:24 PM
^ I've been waiting for someone to say that for the past 2 days :hehe:

importrcr13
07-02-2009, 08:18 PM
the 7M is just as long as a 2J...they are both I6

LoL boy do I feel sheep-ish... I was under the impression that the 7MGTE was a v6, and they went to INLINE with the 1JZ ...

My bad.... my bad... :duh:

joe's gt
07-03-2009, 12:20 AM
i seriously think a straight 6 is too long........there will be too much weight forward of the wheels which will drastically decrease handling and massively increase understeer.....

I was thinking about this too. A lot of engineering goes into suspension setup. And you could throw all this off when you put a completely different engine in a car than it was designed for. Idk, just speculating.

MasterRickard
07-04-2009, 11:46 PM
Hmm, maby you are right, good handling is important. I hadnt thought about the weight in front of the wheels. and I really dont like understeer...

fibrewizard
07-22-2009, 05:52 AM
Hmm, maby you are right, good handling is important. I hadnt thought about the weight in front of the wheels. and I really dont like understeer...

thats the reason i went with the v6..... weight distribution is the same as the 4 cyl.........

however...... a v8 which is shorter.... can be made to sit relatively similar in position to the 4cyl or v6... therefore not effecting weight transfer and handling anywhere near as bad.......

IMO..... its a choice between v6 or V8.....

Mafix
07-22-2009, 02:53 PM
i was going to do a RWD 3sgte to an alltrac that was in bad shape. the only thing i could not for the life of me figure out was the steering.

lilsticcup
08-20-2009, 02:06 PM
hey i dont mean to offend anyone but the 7m engine is really not all its cracked up to be. dont get me wrong, the torque it creates is outstanding but compared to how much maintenance is required to keep the car running, its really not worth it. bhg on fridays, rod knock on saturdays, vacuum leaks on sundays. get all that repaired and then you still gotta figure out why it wont start

i love supras, i love the 7m but for a task this big its not really worth putting in an engine that cost more to keep running than to modify your celica to make it fit

i own a supra with a 7m, ive had it for almost a year now and due to a bhg which led to rod knock i am moving on to my second engine.
ive kept my engine properly maintained, metal head gasket, frequent tune ups, and replacing almost every worn part. i can honestly say i have dealt with more non running days than driving days, carpooling to work because i dont have a ride of my own.

i share this with you not to scare you off but to give you a heads up of what the 7m will put you through.

btw, might i reccommend the 1jz, bhg free is the way to be!

lilsticcup
08-20-2009, 02:23 PM
on another note, the 7m engine and tranny are about 2.5 3sfe's next to eachother. the r154 transmission is as long as the 7m engine itself. iirc the engine and tranny are 600+ pounds. i would reccommend a roll bar and alot of extra weight in the back. maybe even a weelie bar for the torque lol. maybe some very stiff, strong shocks and springs.

it would also be best to have the 7m rebuilt back to stock with a thick metal head gasket and arp head bolts.

i honestly think this will be a good project but i just want you to be aware of the 7m flaws

The Captain
08-20-2009, 05:21 PM
Jeez, I had a 90 Supra turbo and it never gave me any trouble. 160k miles. Only thing I ever did was re torque the head bolts.

Mr.Shaun91
08-21-2009, 04:36 AM
I was thinking about this too. A lot of engineering goes into suspension setup. And you could throw all this off when you put a completely different engine in a car than it was designed for. Idk, just speculating.

yes the I6 weighs more. yes it has a slightly bigger trans. yes you would have to mod not only the firewall but the suspension and the steering. but when it comes to handling, i think that because the trans is now behind the front wheels and only 2/3 of the engine sits on the wheels that your handling might increase or stay the same because you have now moved weight towards the center of the car, creating a better balnce for the car overall.....

just my opinion. i may be wrong but i may be right. doing it is the only way to know.

i also plan on doing the 1jz swap into my 5th gen. :)

freestylebiker33
08-24-2009, 12:00 AM
everyone has a dream build .. but the only thing that is a factor is space, time, money and skills .... if u do not have either of those then u can not go about your project... i have a garage to work in but the question is how long can i leave it in there? 1 year 2 years... damn will i have money to finish this project everything is a factor.... alot of us even me have done crazy projects... and i have 100k in tools and about 1 1/2 years in to my 5th gen celica, and lol look at it now still in pieces i spend $400-1000 a week on my car and 15 hr of labor every week and over a year its still not done... i have spent 25 k in this project and it still doesnt run... I WISH I NEVER DID IT.... like i said if u have the time, space, skills, and the money then go for it do ur dream, one project i always want to do is a 97bmw m3 coupe with a ls2 v8 engine from any camaro,gto, or corvette 500 reliable horsepower and getting 24 mpg whille doing it