PDA

View Full Version : Engine/Oil/Fuel Additives

alistair
06-26-2009, 10:10 PM
Was considering getting a bottle of fuel injector cleaner for my car.

Has anyone tried similar products? Are they safe? Any complaints against Lucas' products?

I currently run Full synthetic 10W30 in my Alltrac. I have 150K KM's on the body/engine.

Thanks

Kiasis
07-04-2009, 07:01 AM
The only additive I've noticed any difference is Sea Foam. One can in the gas tank, 1/2 can in the crank, 1/2 can slowly sucked in through the brake booster vacuum line. Do it outside, as it smokes a lot. I've tried many, but never felt any really made much difference I could see/feel. With Sea Foam, I felt more power and I think I also saw a MPG improvement (although there are so many other factors there, it could be wishful thinking).

I use all Royal Purple products (oil, power steering, tranny fluid, and coolant additive). Yeah, they cost more, but again, they are the only ones I've actually felt there was a noticeable difference. I could be the ultimate consumer idiot, but in the long run, I opt to consider it cheap insurance for keeping my car on the road for as many miles as possible (ie., a $50 oil change is still cheaper than a new car monthly payment).

4thgenceli
07-28-2009, 03:29 PM
I use Lucas products frequently, mainly the oil additive and the fuel system cleaner. I'll only use the fuel cleaner though for extended road trips where I'll be WOT for a while (like a road trip out to Cali or up north I'll check a bottle in before each trip). I've also tried their power steering fluid, and that worked great also.

I second the Seafoam. That shit's B-A-N-A-N-A-S. I went a little conservative though with mine as it will tend to remove carbon build up (and on an old engine can make it leak). I went 1/3rd in the gas tank, oil, and intake. Gotta fix-it ticket afterwards as the officer thought I needed to go though emissions (which it passed with flying colors). If you go seafoam, put it in the oil, suck it in thru the intake. Once that's gone, shut it off and let it sit for like 15 minutes. Fire it up and then take off on a WOT run.

Grot
07-28-2009, 03:36 PM
I run Lucas Oil Treatment every oil change. Always.

88st165
07-30-2009, 08:56 AM
I dont suggest running seafoam in you engine oil for a long time. I did that one time in my daily and when I changed the oil it came out so thin it kinda worried me.

Galcobar
08-01-2009, 01:29 AM
Indeed -- Seafoam added to your crankcase should be changed out fairly quickly, both because it can thin the oil, and because it will dislodge carbon buildups and potentially clog your filter.

It is, as noted, potentially dangerous to use in older engines as they are much more likely to have an incipient oil leak which is prevented by a carbon deposit. Seafoam removes that deposit. I can attest to this -- Seafoam did a great job cleaning my engine, but a slow leak I had turned into a fast one (as in a litre of oil a week or more).

Luni
08-01-2009, 01:39 AM
bobistheoilguy.com says Lucas is BAD. It foams.

I wont touch it.

go to that website. Bob is your friend.

85gtsblackman
08-01-2009, 07:27 AM
well lets see as for cleaning out the motor seafoam is the best bet but use it wisely, you could use atf for it but it will smoke for a whole day or so.

as far as injector and fuel system, my 87 toyota truck i sold in january (not my current one) had sat for 10 years, after a few tanks using 93 octane and a whole can of b12 each time it degunked the whole system.

MrWOT
08-01-2009, 07:33 AM
sticky oil = bad

their cleaner/cylinder lube is useful