PDA

View Full Version : Another DD thread

joe's gt
06-26-2009, 02:00 AM
Well this is my last year in school and I want to get the celi off the road ASAP as soon as I get out and get a full time job. I have driven the celi since the day I could drive with a permit and need something that will RELIABLY get me from A to B. Got a year to figure out what I would like. Plan to do some test driving and research during that time.

Preferences:
Budget: 5-7k (maybe up to 10k depending on salary, etc. and want to leave room for a project car budget )
Comfortably fit 4 (no cramped rear leg room)
2dr or 4dr (don't matter, as long as it aesthetically looks decent )
Preferably no less than 180hp ( will consider sacrificing power for a reputable, bulletproof engine such as a 2xr )
rwd or awd
small dd truck isn't out of the question as long as it can fit 4 (cramped ok if its a truck)
Good suspension...since replacement is expensive and half the fun comes from the suspension setup

I am new at this and have no idea what I am doing considering the celi just landed in my lap 6 years ago.

Any suggestions on cars or where to go to get the info I need and how to go about searching would be appreciated?

There are so many cars out there...how do I narrow it down and find cars that fit my preferences without aimlessly stabbing in the dark?

85gtsblackman
06-26-2009, 02:18 AM
tacoma 4dr

05-current legacy base non turbo , my dad has a 08, no problems so far and theres a good bit o milage on it.

06 up hyundai sonata

92-96 camry

almost any year maxima

3rd gen celica....cant go wrong

85gtsblackman
06-26-2009, 02:23 AM
opps i just saw rwd

lexus ls400

lexus sc300
lexus sc400

T-100 v6 5speed 2wd....i saw one im seriously going to go look at

4 runner....good luck making it handel though

3rd gen celica

geebes
06-26-2009, 03:14 AM
As always, I agree with joe about the legacys...I love em, great cars

joe's gt
06-26-2009, 04:04 AM
Thanks Joe. You got so much knowledge about whats out there. Have had fwd for 6 years, so just lookin for a change.

Keep em comin...cars or websites

I must say, the BMW e36 M3 is looking VERY SEXY with decent rear leg room and 4 doors. WOW!!!

85gtsblackman
06-26-2009, 06:33 AM
bmw = nice ride, ok engines, dodge electrical systems(this is bad) and bout as cheap to fix as your average lambo(hope your rich), cept very slightly easier to work on.

id rather work on a twin turboed boxer engine with dual carbs, just to make it worse

joe's gt
06-26-2009, 07:39 AM
that's what I figured too, it wouldn't be worth to fix it if anything broke because the damned parts would be so expensive.

VikingJZ
06-26-2009, 08:00 AM
I know a lot of the guys here have things negative to say about Volvos, but they're amazing cars.

Look into a 94-97 850 of some sort. The turbo ones are honestly some of the easiest cars to make good power on for CHEAP. They're also very, very reliable.

You can also look into a 98-04 C70. Coupe or vert. Same platform as the 850, just two door coupe. The V and S70's are the same as the 850 line, just slightly tweaked in the looks department. Those were produced from 98 up.

They get pretty good mileage too. You can get in between 23 and 30 depending on your foot and if the car is in proper mechanical condition.

Parts are cheap and the car's are very simple to work on. Ride is nice and has many creature comforts that you would enjoy.

If you join VolvoForums, they are great guys and are very helpful. There are several dedicated Volvo only suppliers that do great business.

But then you have Toyotas as well, and that's an obvious choice.

But if you're looking for something funny, unique, reliable and well-built, take a peak at Volvo.

VikingJZ
06-26-2009, 08:01 AM
Ohhh RWD.

Sorry.

Volvo quit making RWD after the S90/960 line. Nice cars, but not as much aftermarket.

If you want something newer, check out a early to mid 2000's S60 AWD

Galcobar
06-26-2009, 11:39 AM
IS300 will probably land in your price range, RWD, etc -- though the rear leg room is debatable.

Now if only the RS200 had been sold here....

Hipster Lawrence
06-26-2009, 09:49 PM
bmw = dodge electrical systems

Huh?

85gtsblackman
06-27-2009, 06:21 PM
dodge electrical system = MEF *multiple epic fails

i forgot about the 300, yeah i guess u could find one around that price range, although the 400 will give u a ton of room and u have a v8

Hipster Lawrence
06-28-2009, 10:59 PM
No I mean since when does BMW have anything to do with chrysler? Are you thinking of mercedes?

Also I haven't heard of any "epic failures" of chrysler electrical systems.

Cavanagh
06-29-2009, 12:03 AM
Yea, I would go IS300 personally.

joe's gt
06-29-2009, 02:10 AM
I was looking at those 4 dr 2001 tacomas. Those things look like a nice compromise between a truck that isn't too huge to be a dd, comfortably fit 4, and be reasonable enough to haul things around for home improvement projects and what not.

Only drawback is gas mileage and close to the edge of my price range.

Futant3
06-29-2009, 02:12 AM
No I mean since when does BMW have anything to do with chrysler? Are you thinking of mercedes?

Also I haven't heard of any "epic failures" of chrysler electrical systems.

I think what he is trying to say is "dodgy", as in having potential problems with electronics. Not that there is any connection to the company Dodge.

Yes they can be expensive to repair, my bro has a 4 door e36 M3 that is awesome. One that would be worth it though is probably going to be pushing that 5-7k budget though, definitely do-able for under 10K. You've also got a long time to look for the right deal, and that will help with whatever direction you go.

Subaru might have some interesting options.

joe's gt
06-29-2009, 02:20 AM
I think what he is trying to say is "dodgy", as in having potential problems with electronics. Not that there is any connection to the company Dodge.

Yes they can be expensive to repair, my bro has a 4 door e36 M3 that is awesome. One that would be worth it though is probably going to be pushing that 5-7k budget though, definitely do-able for under 10K. You've also got a long time to look for the right deal, and that will help with whatever direction you go.

Subaru might have some interesting options.

Definitely,trying to stay away from the wrx, although its a great car. There are just so many thugged out around here that it makes me sick.

But that subaru legacy also looks nice as well.

What do you guys think about the Lincoln LS. It would have to be the manual tranny because the auto has had nothing but problems.

Ahhh.... so many choices. lol.

lexus gs and is series are definitely front runners in my choices tho

wizzards581
07-01-2009, 01:06 AM
05-06 Corolla XRS?

Nitro_Alltrac
07-01-2009, 01:35 AM
The Lincoln LS was supposed to be a pretty decent car. It just didn't get much marketing. About the only thing in the Lincoln lineup that wasn't just a rebadged Ford with a much bigger price tag. I like the looks of them myself.

The IS300 would also be a good choice as would the Subaru.

joe's gt
07-01-2009, 02:03 AM
Now also looking at 4 door, short bed trucks, like the tacoma. Such as Nissan Frontier, etc. Got a buddy that has a frontier and hasn't had any problems with it. Gotta research on how much those four cylinders can actually handle and decide if the bad gas mileage of a v6 is worth it.

Done a little more research on the LS, seems like a bunch of little odd things here and there always break on them. Idk, probably that's ruled out because I'd get a Lexus GS or IS before one of those.