PDA

View Full Version : camry headers... moot?

mike perkins
06-24-2009, 01:07 AM
i found another camry header at the yard the other day. does anybody use them anymore?

i tried one on an mr2 and it just does not work.

funny thing is both ones i've found were on a 97 camry and both had burned up engine bays. i don't know if there's a connection there

seems like they would be lighter than the cast iron chunks,but are they worth the trouble to pull and install?

T-spoon
06-24-2009, 01:22 AM
What do you mean by "Just did not work"? Fitment issues or what? For the celica it's a pretty straight-forward and easy fit. The only issue really is having the exhaust cut and welded to join to the camry DP/cat. There is a thread (or two or three) probably in the NA forum, I'm thinking a search will pull them up and you can get a lot of detail from those that have done it.

celica9303
06-24-2009, 01:46 AM
Yes we use them on our celicas. I have on on mine. Search for my thread on the install for my header and exhaust and you will get lots of info

Galcobar
06-24-2009, 07:32 AM
It's not surprising that a manifold designed to work on a FWD setup with a front-mounted engine wouldn't fit on a RWD mid-mounted engine.

Actually, they don't work on Celicas either without a custom downpipe, as the motor mounts are differently placed.

T-spoon
06-24-2009, 07:36 AM
It's not surprising that a manifold designed to work on a FWD setup with a front-mounted engine wouldn't fit on a RWD mid-mounted engine.

Actually, they don't work on Celicas either without a custom downpipe, as the motor mounts are differently placed.

Unless it was hitting the firewall, I don't see what being mid-engined has to do with it. MR2 motors sit the same way as camry and Celica motors. Do you have pics or any more information about why the camry mounts would make the camry manifold not work? Keep in mind, the camry manifolds in question have the runners welded into the top of the cat, so I'm not sure how you'd have a custom DP.

Galcobar
06-24-2009, 09:16 AM
My apologies, I meant front pipe, not down pipe (in either case, was referring to the first piece of piping after the manifold's cat) -- the slight difference in placement in the engine mounts between the Camry and Celica engine bays requires a different bend in the front pipe to line up with the Camry's manifold+catalytic converter.

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=479

celica9303
06-24-2009, 05:30 PM
Yes that is the only part that needs to be custom for it to work any good exhaust shop can do it

liplip
06-24-2009, 10:15 PM
How about the O2 sensor? Is the celica O2 sensor the same as the camry O2 sensor?

mike perkins
06-25-2009, 01:03 AM
i was just debating on whether or not to go back and pick this thing up. i didn't bring any pb blaster that day.

haven't seen any for sale or heard much about them recently,so i thought i'd ask.