PDA

View Full Version : Are you guys nuts? (Or am I just old)

broderp
06-21-2009, 08:38 AM
I test drove a 2002 Celica GT-S, that had been modified with Turbo, injectors, racing clutch, aftermarket ecu/ controller etc.. etc..

The car had boost gauge, turbo timer, air fuel mixture gauge, etc.. and was a 6 speed.

So I ask, are you guys NUTS? :lolhittin

I was scared to death! The clutch and accelorator had about 1/2 of travel before it grabbed and wow, it grabbed. I saw the boost gauge hit closeto 15PSI before I let off.

I don't know how fast it was time wise but, 60mph was so fast, and I only made it up to third gear... :burn:

I LOVED this car, but as I am looking for a daily driver, had to pass on it. Besides, I couldn't afford to buy new front tires every month! :laugh:

Do you guys (and gals) who do this sort of thing, drive these cars as daily drivers or do you strictly race them? Does insurance go way up whith these modes?

Heres a few pictues: (The car has 39K miles.....) and was selling to me for $9999. The engine looked like a bit more use than 39K, but car fax was detailed and seemed accurate. The interior was mint condition. Had this car not had the extra goodies, I would have bought it on the spot. Appearantly, the dealer can't sell this car.......

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/4/5/9/3/DSC_1333small.jpg

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/4/5/9/3/DSC_1309small.jpg

alwayzsidewayz
06-21-2009, 08:47 AM
cool car.. I race againist a few Gen 7s with super chargers etc.

I use mine for fun at the weekends, going to the shops etc as well as racing it.

On the road at times it can be a pain, with the noise, the ride and knowing you have to restrain yourself, as the car limits are so high. But I love it, its so raw, you feel so connected to the road and the car. I couldn't just restrict my car to the track, I would miss it too much.

I prob do about 4000 road miles a year in mine.

importrcr13
06-21-2009, 08:48 AM
oh yeah ;) daily drivers for sure. Always racing to the next red light against the 2006 Honda Minivan... you almost know who's gonna win all the time...

T-spoon
06-21-2009, 06:27 PM
Daily driven until something breaks. Something always breaks.

joe's gt
06-21-2009, 07:06 PM
Performance and dd don't mix. That's for sure. Mainly cuz its impossible to restrain yourself from punching it. literally impossible. I don't know much about forced induction 7th gens, but 15 psi boost seems like a lot of stress to be putting on the engine if they are stock internals. idk what they can handle, just seems like a lot for an original n/a engine.

Trance4c
06-21-2009, 08:54 PM
haha... load the thread title.

To be honest, a FWD Turbo Celica is a hand load when you start to make some respectable power. Its just not the best platform, it doesn't lend itself nicely. Violent would be the word I'd use.

VikingJZ
06-22-2009, 05:45 AM
Unless the internals have been bumped up a bit I wouldn't get that as a daily.

I can run 15psi in my Volvo with no issues. I don't really beat on my cars much though.

Nice car though!

rev_head
06-22-2009, 09:00 AM
could always just wind the boost back down, put in a an EBC with 2 or more boost settings and its not such an issue.

this makes it hard for me to wait for the gte conversion lol 160-200kw in a AWD is fast 160-200KW is freaking FUN! haha

Blackcloud
06-22-2009, 01:36 PM
i rock high performace as a DD

Murgatroy
06-22-2009, 02:30 PM
I have driven several high performance cars for a DD.

From 500HP RWD beasts to the FWD Supercharged Buick.

Granted, anytime a car has been modified it increases required maintenance, but they are fun.

I haven't had an issue restraining myself while driving vehicles like this. Sure, sometimes you find yourself getting on the go pedal for a bit, but occasions like that (after you are used to the car) are rare and far between.

If you want the car, get it, turn the boost down, drive it conservatively and keep the upkeep up on it and I don't see a reason why it won't last a while. Honestly it will require more care than stock would, but we are car guys, and having something nice that you are proud of is easier to take care of than a beater you don't care about.