PDA

View Full Version : Is my baby REALLY totaled?

broderp
06-21-2009, 01:50 AM
I was in an accident last week, slid into a car due to someone changing lanes in a construction site causing a rapid multicar braking party. I didn't stop in time and rear ended the car in front of me @ about 25mph. I walked away with not much more than a few bruses from the seatbelt and a very, very minor abrasion on my left arm from the airbag. My glasses didn't even come off!

The insurance says it's a total loss, but I was able to drive it home (22 miles) with the ac running.

The reason I believe it is a "total loss" is because the airbags deployed.

Should I keep the car, rebuild it, (now with salvage title) or let the insurance tow it away.

They are giving me about 5K for the car, but will deduct $750 if I keep the car.

I have priced a new windshield, and even airbags ($180, $400 respectfully) Does it really look THAT bad? I did drive it home.

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/4/5/9/3/DSC_1111small_255074.jpg

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/4/5/9/3/DSC_1101small_14968.jpg

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/4/5/9/3/DSC_1108small.jpg

T-spoon
06-21-2009, 01:55 AM
Take da monies, buy it back. Find a good condition shell that's unwrecked (blown or no motor). Swap your current drivetrain if it's in good shape. Part out the rest of your car. A little labor intensive maybe but I think it's the most cost effective thing to do. The car is repairable, but putting the new airbags in, windshield, core support (rad might be cracked, even if not leaking now, could start), hood, bumper cover, possibly a number of bumper reinforcements, high beam mounts etc. will be bent... expensive.

balang_479
06-21-2009, 02:14 AM
I say take the money and start fresh.. maybe with 5k you can find an alltrac or something... thats what I would do personally.

Ryan
06-21-2009, 02:46 AM
You could take the money and get the car back, part out your car, and with the ~$4k you get back and the money you get from the part out, you could buy a very nice celica, or other car of your choice.

maxwedge
06-21-2009, 04:41 AM
The insurance company is going to total anything that is damaged within 70% of it's value, and in most states it's required by law. Some companies will total at 50% depending on the age of the car. You have to take into account the body shop labor rate, cost of materials, cost of OEM parts the insurance company is likely required to use. Having said that, that car looks like it could easily be repaired for fairly cheap if you shopped for deals on parts and did your own labor, or at least the bolt on stuff. Or you could just keep the money and drive it for years as is.

85gtsblackman
06-21-2009, 05:20 AM
im pretty sure my stx would have been totaled if it had been reported. and you have less damaged than my car and i have my car mostly good on the front end now and it was alot worse

see for yourself

when i got the car

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/5/3/3/2/100_2309Small.jpg yes both air bags are blown and the windsheild as replaced.

and a month later and 300 dollars sunk into the front end but my a/c bits were busted.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/Joe_1985/94stxandstuff006.jpg

ive since got the front end 90% lined up perfectly, im sure with a half hour to hour of my own time ill have it perfect and ready for paint.

so if i were you id keep the car, u already know it inside and out, and u know how it drove after the accident. so it wold make since just to keep it.

sucks your kinda far away i could get u all the parts in a day. and i may be getting a white 95 gt with a blown 5s for next to free

broderp
06-21-2009, 08:07 AM
Thanks for the reply's.

I've kinda wanted a "project car" for a while, and having had this car since 4 miles , YES - FOUR miles and new off the showroom floor, I know every nook and cranny, and more importantly, how it's been driven and maintained over the last 14 years. (Wow, doesn't seem like it's already 14 years old!)

From what I see, I have about 1.8K in parts for the front end, including a new hood, and drivers fender, as well as the majority of the underlying structure for the front bumper.

The radiator is actually only a few months old, and both it and the AC (all components) seemed to have been spared any damage. Having driven the car home as you see it, It did not pull or wander and seems to have not affected the front suspention. I have gone over the body real close and no panels seem to have even shifted or moved from thier picture purfect orientations, well ecept those directly involved in the impact...

It has been started up and moved around on my driveway several times over tha last week, and there are no leaks, starts right up, AC good, etc.

85gtsblackman, your pics and story really do inspire me to keep it. What the worse that could happen- i wind up parting it out, and I think I have more in parts that are good then the $750 the insurance co . wants to deduct from my settlement check.

I will be getting a newer celica in the mean time: (May as well take advantage of it right???) :burn:
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/4/5/9/3/DSC_1124small.jpg

Ryan
06-21-2009, 08:45 AM
Well, I can tell you this much, if you do part it out, I will be interested in some stuff. I am sure you would make plenty off of it since it looks like the parts are in good condition.

Just think it over and make the decision that makes you happiest.

celica91gts
06-21-2009, 09:47 AM
maxwedge is right, thats how my car was when i rear ended someone too. as long as it costs more to fix the car the insurance signs it off as totaled. something along those lines. i definatly think you should take the 5 grand and use it as a down payment on that turbo 7th gen you test drove. who says you can use a fast car as a daily driver? just drive with a light foot and you'll still get good mpg on it as long as you drive in lag.

Nitro_Alltrac
06-21-2009, 03:02 PM
The airbag components are what would kill it for the insurance company. They're not going to figure used parts for the airbag system and with airbag modules, the sensors, the clock spring, etc, you're looking at a couple of thousand dollars at least unless the price of those things have come way down. I used to work for a GM dealer in parts and then as asst. manager of the body shop and in the mid to late '90's they were totally out 1-2 year old cars with under 30,000 miles due to airbag deployment.

That being said, the apparent body damage doesn't look that bad. The airbags probaby due to the angle of the hit more so than the speed. One of the sensors probably took a hit and was jarred. The main body damage wouldn't be bad at all to fix and parts shouldn't be a problem to find. If you've got pull-a-part close by the parts shouldn't cost you that much.

85gtsblackman
06-21-2009, 03:53 PM
boo on the honda err i mean 7th gen

usp45
06-22-2009, 12:08 AM
thats why uni-(sexual)-bodies SUCK!!! take the money unless you own a phukin frame shop! .... It just sucks. :shrug: It shouldn't be a Loss. If that makes you feel any better :D

sorry for your loss n best wishes ,
-Tim

85gtsblackman
06-22-2009, 05:00 AM
im pretty sure the frame on that car is ok, dont even look like the core support is bent.

hell id buy it as is, you guys saw my wreck i had to start with

Cavanagh
06-22-2009, 07:27 PM
Ehhh, A car is never the same after a wreck.

Slider
06-22-2009, 09:40 PM
That doesn't look bad at all man, it doesn't seem like there's any frame damage. A trip or two to the junkyard and you'll have all the parts you need. The radiator support can be pulled or you can have a new one welded in.. Bumper Here's some inspiration, I didn't give up on my car.

Before:
http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/1720/img6803is3.jpg

After:
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/6/0/after.jpg

Fuelish
06-22-2009, 10:54 PM
....or call me crazy, but ...... is not a uni-bodied car sort of "frameless" as in the body IS the frame ??? That's always been my understanding (and a sore point). I had one car totaled for a minor accident that cracked a fender (didn't even know it was plastic) and broke 2 lights. I understand insurance companies not wanting to put out more than a car is worth, but it's crazy anymore. I feel bad for anyone getting into even a minor fender-bender, anymore...... it's a rip-off !!!!

VikingJZ
06-23-2009, 07:34 AM
I would take the $4,250 and the car.

KBB in Excellent condition for your car is $4,435.

I'd say that's the best deal.

I would part the car out.

You could make more than the $5,000 they would give you if you let them take the car.

broderp
06-23-2009, 08:33 AM
I have decided to keep the old girl and attempt a rebuild. She drives too straight and true and the damage does not go beyond the bumper area (except the airbags).

I have a shopping list of about 2k in parts, and another $500 for two airbags and windshield.

If I look around I may find some used parts (the 2K was lookiing up new on line)

She gets a new windshield within the next 3 weeks ( a lot going on now in my life...including picking up the 2003 GTS I searched for for the last two weeks :burn: ) and will be moved into the garage and dismantled and rebuilt over the course of the next year or two.

If all else fails.....I would just part her out or sell her to someone for parts, and hopefully make at least the $750 I'm paying for her back.

I hate having to give it a salvage title though......She was a beautiful car, see my sig below for how I kept her. The inside was a clean as the out... :?:

Slider
06-23-2009, 08:40 AM
If you go the junkyard route the parts shouldn't be too bad. I got everything minus the core support for under $200 from a junkyard. You could either pull the core support or the best way would be to weld a new one in.

ChrisD
06-23-2009, 04:02 PM
I'm glad you made that choice. :)

85gtsblackman
06-23-2009, 06:19 PM
i can usally get used 6th gen parts so let me know what u need

broderp
06-24-2009, 12:34 AM
i can usally get used 6th gen parts so let me know what u need

Thanks, I may take you up on that.

I appreciate the support from the forum.

Raymond

usp45
06-25-2009, 01:28 AM
salvage titles SUCK, but if you plan on keepin the car, it doesn't matter. Even though I'm the kinda guy that will take any fresh start that I can get. I consider it honerably that you're keepin another celica on the road! In 20 years these cars may become very rare.

Amaymi
06-25-2009, 05:11 AM
I can tell you from experience that the damage on this car is not that bad at all and the reason it was totaled is mostly because of the airbags deploying. I used to be the technician at a small independent used car lot and actually had to restore a celica just like yours that had been in an accident very similar and more severe than yours. The most time consuming parts will be replacing the passenger airbag and lining up the core support for the hood latch to work properly and the most expensive will definitely be paint. You will not need a new core support from what I see in the pictures. The fact that the radiator and the a/c condenser are still holding pressure suggests that the core support was not bent radically enough to warrant the time and money needed to weld in a new one.
We were able to fix ours and still turn a decent profit at a cash price (much lower than the note price). What kind of vehicle did you hit? Your more than welcome to PM me with any questions and for any advise.

T-spoon
06-25-2009, 05:35 AM
I can tell you from experience that the damage on this car is not that bad at all and the reason it was totaled is mostly because of the airbags deploying. I used to be the technician at a small independent used car lot and actually had to restore a celica just like yours that had been in an accident very similar and more severe than yours. The most time consuming parts will be replacing the passenger airbag and lining up the core support for the hood latch to work properly and the most expensive will definitely be paint. You will not need a new core support from what I see in the pictures. The fact that the radiator and the a/c condenser are still holding pressure suggests that the core support was not bent radically enough to warrant the time and money needed to weld in a new one.
We were able to fix ours and still turn a decent profit at a cash price (much lower than the note price). What kind of vehicle did you hit? Your more than welcome to PM me with any questions and for any advise.

Erm, I don't want to start any drama here, but I do want to point out that a lot of vehicles are sold after accidents that will effect how they act in another similar collision. It's not something people really think about much, but metal bent once is less strong than before it was bent. Bending it back in shape takes away more strength, and then taking impact there again.. it's not going to be the same.

I'm not saying crush every car that's had a fender bender, but please, don't think that just because you can make a car look ok again means it's as good as new, it's not.

This isn't directed straight at you, Ayami, this is something everyone needs to remember. Having sold large body orders to shops.. I know what corners are cut and I know that whether a car gets repaired or not has little to do with the actual safety of the vehicle, but with how much money stands to be gained or lost.

Amaymi
06-26-2009, 08:15 PM
I completely understand where your coming from and agree for the most part. However in this specific case I do not believe that straightening this metal will affect the way this car drives nor drastically change the way the car will behave in a similar accident.
Now I could be wrong, hence why I asked him to clarify the vehicle struck, but it looks like he hit a vehicle much higher than the celica. There isn't a picture with a good view of the whole hood, but from the top one it looks to me that the hood took the vast majority of the energy because of the way the latch bent and the creases on the side of the hood. It also seems like the glass was not broken by the actual impact but instead as a result of the air bag opening, pretty common in cars with such a shallow windshield angle.
Because the core support was bent by the hood and not a direct impact there are no hard creases (worst thing for metal) and the bending is relatively minimal and localized around the hood latch. The headlight mounts do not appear to be very affected. I think the drivers side head light was broken more as a result of the hood bending than the core support bending. Also the fender, and even the bumper cover, appear to be still well lined up and does not seem to be shifted by the impact. It does not look like the actual bumper beam or reinforcements were involved in the collision which is good.
This is why I believe that repairing the core support would not be appreciably different than replacing it. Now I'm just making this assessment based on these pictures which do not show the hood or the passenger side so of course I could be wrong. But I want to elaborate on why I said what I did and show that some careful observation and thinking about why everything is as it is after a collision can save a lot of time and money as well as making you realize that the car is beyond repair.