PDA

View Full Version : battery randomly dies? car dies? wont start?

shinrekka
06-20-2009, 04:34 PM
I have an 89 ST automatic. Occasionally when I turn the key the car wont start, wont crank nothing, turn the key 10 more times and it starts. Not the ignition because it shows drain on the amp gauge. The car randomly died on me yesterday at a light and wouldnt start, dead battery. It killed the fresh battery i put in. After I jump it, and take the terminals off the battery it died, so I was thinking alternater, but sometimes it runs all day without dying. THe amp gauge also shows that the alternater is putting out half way inbetween 14 and 18. Any clues?

Lonestag
06-20-2009, 06:42 PM
If the alt is dying, it doesn't have to die all at once. Usuallly the battery light will come on though.

Just a thought.

85gtsblackman
06-20-2009, 07:07 PM
sounds like a short/ starter dying

Mafix
06-20-2009, 07:45 PM
that would be a volt gauge not an amp gauge. and it's a wiring or alternator issue

85gtsblackman
06-20-2009, 08:02 PM
start checking wires for corrosion

importrcr13
06-21-2009, 12:01 AM
I would agree with 85gts i had an issue the other day... started the car up fine, it takes a few turns, then fires right up. Then one time tried to start it, it didn't even crank... i figured i didn't push the clutch in far enough kept trying and nothing happend... I know the battery was fine and the alt was good because the battery was still at a good charge. So luckily i have a manual... just pushed it to a roll down a hill popped the clutch and it fired right up.

There may either be wiring issues with the starter, or have a dead spot in it... I just replaced mine, and have not had ANY issues what-so-ever now, thing fires after two clicks.

shinrekka
06-21-2009, 12:45 AM
I put a new alternater and battery in it and that wasnt the problem. Checked all the grounds for corrosion. So the starter maybe be sucking power from it?

shinrekka
06-21-2009, 12:47 AM
Im not sure if i mentioned it but the car also randomly died on me yesterday at a stop light.

importrcr13
06-21-2009, 01:03 AM
Once it dies, does the car start back up fine?

If so you may want to check your vacuum hoses...
I had a hose that had a weak part in it, so when i would come to a stop, and it would drop the RPM it would choke out...

85gtsblackman
06-21-2009, 05:36 AM
that would be internal colapse

shinrekka
06-21-2009, 01:36 PM
Nah it wouldnt start back up, wouldnt even turn over. Turned the hazards on, came back 15mins later and the battery was completly dead.

importrcr13
06-21-2009, 02:36 PM
What about your actual terminal cables? They may be bad... If you've replaced the alt, and battery...

alltracman78
06-21-2009, 05:08 PM
Take a look at your ALT fuse [80a? clear cover in your fuse box].
Check the bottom side for corrosion.
It's bolted into the box, so you can't just pull it out.
It's also wired directly to the battery, so make sure you disconnect the battery before you mess with it.

If your car is randomly dying as well as having trouble starting [sometimes], it's not a vacuum leak and it's not the starter. Either will have 1 of the symptoms, neither will do both.

shinrekka
06-21-2009, 05:13 PM
replaced those too :(

I was checking everything over again with the meter.

At idle (like 500rpms) battery reads around 10.9, rev it to like 3500 and its 11.4

Alternater reads same deal.

Dosent seem to be loosing power but definitly not were its supposed to be. Pulled fuses for radio, headlights, wipers, cig lighter, and what not but didnt make a difference to what the meter reads.

Perhaps i'll wirebrush all the grounds one more time and see how it goes.

Im also using a brand new honda battery which is half the size of the stock one and my timing belt if definitly off a tooth, could that be while the car is not producing what it should? The stock size battery died and I had this brand new battery I was going to be using for my civic im only using it because I just did the timing belt and cant afford another one.

shinrekka
06-21-2009, 05:14 PM
I moved that fuse box a bit and the car almost died, that maaaayyyy be the problem. I'll check it out in a bit.

joe's gt
06-21-2009, 07:21 PM
With the car running your voltage should be around 13-15. Something is wrong with your alternator or related wiring.

shinrekka
06-21-2009, 08:58 PM
I just checked the underhood fuse box, everything looks clean, no fraid wires, no corrosion, no blown fuses.

importrcr13
06-21-2009, 09:37 PM
If you moved your fuse box and the car almost died, its most defiantly gotta be a wiring issue going to the alt fuse then... your battery gets used up REAL fast when your alt isn't working correctly so, unbolt the fuse box, flip it upside down , and check for split, frayed, corroded or other in the wiring going to the fuse box underneath.

I've had a lot of these issues with my GT but most of the solutions listed were easily fixed yours has gotta be a little more than just simply replacing parts.

Also

I would take advise from alltracman he owns me and his quote is 99.9% true

Why are you questioning me?
I know everything.

shinrekka
06-22-2009, 03:39 PM
I just checked the underhood fuse box, everything looks clean, no fraid wires, no corrosion, no blown fuses.

Checked everything there, everything looks brand new. No corrosion on anything. This isnt easy.