PDA

View Full Version : motor swap/celica advise

Boosted91celiGTS
06-19-2009, 06:17 PM
hey guys i know its been a minute since i posted but iv had alot going on.( got engaged and i have a little girl on the way). but i have a 91 GTS and i believe it threw a rod so it is now sitting at my moms house. im kind of bummed because i just lowered it and put 16 inch black rota slip streams on it. but what i wanted to know is, what are some possible motor swaps( keep in mind my car is unfortuantly auto), or should i just rebuild and boost. Second, i would like to know how the car does with kids.lol, any kind of help would be grateful.

PhillyDRFT
06-19-2009, 07:23 PM
Can't help you on the kids part although I think getting a car seat situated in the back seat without having to load her through the hatch may provide a challenge for you.

Since you have one on the way I'd say building for boost will definitely not be your best option logically and financially. To give you an idea of the task that lies before you look up posts by a member named "Pressure2". That is on an even newer 5sfe with some additional electronics. The Knock sensor is a big help for anything being boosted over factory.

If you have the money to burn, there's always the 3sgte which being an S series will match up to your existing mounts. The most straightforward swap you can do.

In my own opinion? Find a local junk yard and get a nice low mileage 5sfe, They came in pretty much EVERYTHING Toyota through the 90's... Corolla, Camry, Celica, Mr2... You'll probly have to ecu swap and change some wiring if you get a newer 5s but imo it's worth the extra time if you have the skills.

GL!

rizin
06-19-2009, 07:34 PM
One thing I have to say baby car seats suck in the back seat. You have to put the car seat on the passenger side and leave the seat forward. So you can leave the handle down in the proper position. Other wise you can put the handle up and smash the seat tight against the baby car seat not the proper way. but it gets easier when the can sit in a forward facing seat still not that much room though.

joe's gt
06-19-2009, 07:35 PM
Depends on time, wants, needs, etc. If you just want a dd, then by all means swap in another 5s. Definitely shouldn't be too hard to find one one with the same wiring and what not. If you got the time and money and the celi is not going to be your dd, by all means swap in a 3sgte or build a stroker motor. Its really up to what your going to be using the car for and what your financial and time situation is like.

Murgatroy
06-19-2009, 10:19 PM
I but Booger in the front seat and made the wife sit in the back seat.

Boosted91celiGTS
06-20-2009, 04:46 PM
thanks guys,but im sure as some of you guys know i have been trying to get this thing boosted for quite sometime now. i am not trying to be the fastest one out there,but i most definatly dont want to be the slowest. im only looking to push 5-8 pounds on the car.

fibrewizard
06-21-2009, 08:50 AM
supercharge it......... different and reliable at low boost