PDA

View Full Version : Heat-shrink for Looming, comments?

Dr Tweak
06-17-2009, 03:48 AM
I've been spending some time looking at different wire tucks and methods of making wiring more clean and subtle. Recently I build a 4AGE 20v Blacktop harness from scratch for a customer, and took the opportunity to loom the harness entirely in heat-shrink tubing (no seams). I think the results are pretty nice and make for a really clean look, but I wanted to get some comments.

http://www.phoenixtuning.com/hosting/wiringpics/heatshrinkharness1.jpg

http://www.phoenixtuning.com/hosting/wiringpics/heatshrinkharness2.jpg

http://www.phoenixtuning.com/hosting/wiringpics/heatshrinkharness3.jpg

-Doc

My91GTS
06-17-2009, 03:52 AM
you sir really care for details for ure customers don't u? all i can say it looks sexy :)

alltracman78
06-17-2009, 03:59 AM
It looks nice, but there's one problem that I can see.
If you need to access the wiring, you have to cut the heatshrink off.
Then to resecure it you'll have to remove the pins from the connector to slide new heatshrink on.
That's going to be a major PITA. Plastic loom and tape is much easier to strip.

My91GTS
06-17-2009, 04:02 AM
but why would u need to access the cable after putting it in?

DudeMan
06-17-2009, 04:07 AM
I don't a lot about wiring but that is clean and I would be very happy to receive that.

MrWOT
06-17-2009, 04:43 AM
Looks nice, but I hate the stuff, ghetto zip-tie mania for me :hehe:

Grot
06-17-2009, 04:51 AM
Im with alltrac, looks pretty, but not practical, since the most common position for an alltrac owner is under the hood/car

Dr Tweak
06-17-2009, 12:27 PM

It looks nice, but there's one problem that I can see.
If you need to access the wiring, you have to cut the heatshrink off.
Then to resecure it you'll have to remove the pins from the connector to slide new heatshrink on.
That's going to be a major PITA. Plastic loom and tape is much easier to strip.

Well, with a new wiring harness the idea is that you DON'T have to access the wiring for many, many years. But if you did have to, you could always reloom that section with split loom.

-Doc

rizin
06-17-2009, 05:36 PM
I like.
One thing that would be nice about heat shrink is that years down the road if you open it up you won't have deal with all the addhesive from the tape on the wires. It is always fun getting all the crap off your hands.

PhillyDRFT
06-17-2009, 06:05 PM
I agree with tweak that if it's a new harness as long as there are no defects in the first place. Wiring takes a long time to degrade and leave you with problems.

I think it's a nice alternative to the looming but not a complete replacement. They both have their merits.

just my .2c but If I did a swap I would probably choose this over the loom.

ChrisD
06-17-2009, 06:57 PM
After doing my share of custom wiring harnesses, I gotta say I like this a lot.

The thing usually is that you have several cases where a single wire, or two wires, will run to a sensor somewhere quite a ways from the main loom. This causes an issue with how you protect the wires as traditional wire covering (flexi-type) can be bulky and a bit over-board for 1 or 2 wires. This way, you can protect it nicely all the way up to the plug itself. Very slick looking.

:bigthumbu

Tweak - a long while back I seem to remember you posting what you used for crimping connections. I thought I remembered you had some tool that did a proper OEM-style crimp connection. Might you have any info / links on that?

BTW - I don't do harnesses any more for anyone wondering. (it's a very time consuming process) My common response is to send them directly to Dr Tweak. ;)

Dr Tweak
06-17-2009, 08:50 PM
After doing my share of custom wiring harnesses, I gotta say I like this a lot.

The thing usually is that you have several cases where a single wire, or two wires, will run to a sensor somewhere quite a ways from the main loom. This causes an issue with how you protect the wires as traditional wire covering (flexi-type) can be bulky and a bit over-board for 1 or 2 wires. This way, you can protect it nicely all the way up to the plug itself. Very slick looking.

:bigthumbu

Tweak - a long while back I seem to remember you posting what you used for crimping connections. I thought I remembered you had some tool that did a proper OEM-style crimp connection. Might you have any info / links on that?

BTW - I don't do harnesses any more for anyone wondering. (it's a very time consuming process) My common response is to send them directly to Dr Tweak. ;)

Thanks for that :)

Actually, I recently was introduced to a remarkably inexpensive tool that actually does a pretty darn good job on the OEM terminals that we use, including the ones I have for sale on our website. I'm going to post the tool up and start selling them, I'll put the link up for it in a bit here.

-Doc

Dr Tweak
06-17-2009, 09:57 PM
Here you go, top of the page:

http://www.phoenixtuning.com/zenstore/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=867_869

This is for OEM terminals, not the mil-spec crimps that we use on extensions and wiring conversions, just FYI.

-Doc

Kanoodle
06-17-2009, 10:28 PM
Tweak, this is Just_da_guy from OC could you do this for the gze map harness im having you convert for my aw11?

Dr Tweak
06-18-2009, 09:18 PM
Normally I only offer this type of looming on 100% new harnesses like the one pictured above. I could reloom your harness using this method but it would be several hours of extra work. I'd be happy to do it if you want to pay for it, your call :)

-Doc

Shadowlife25
06-19-2009, 12:04 AM
You ever use Tech Flex? I do or all my audio wiring runs and it works like a champ. Just something to play with. Nice work man. :)

-Mario

Dr Tweak
06-19-2009, 10:20 PM
Yeah, I've got a spool of it, but I couldn't decide if I liked it or not... :)

-Doc

Fastbird
06-22-2009, 07:44 PM
Here you go, top of the page:

http://www.phoenixtuning.com/zenstore/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=867_869

This is for OEM terminals, not the mil-spec crimps that we use on extensions and wiring conversions, just FYI.

-Doc

Doc, that's a GREAT tool you posted. I use that on all the wiring stuff I do and it's amazingly versital.