PDA

View Full Version : Clearcoat nightshades?

tuner4life
06-16-2009, 06:50 PM
Do you clearcoat nightshades? I was reading one of the cans we have at work and it didn't say anything about it. Alot of lights with nightshades seem to have a flat rough texture. I want to do it, but make them super shiny by clearcoating them and then wetsanding and buffing them out.

What have y'all done?

PhillyDRFT
06-16-2009, 06:56 PM
I don't see why you couldn't do that. If a "Production" look is what you're going for. Ie: Stock or popped out of a mold.

If I were to do it I would scuff the tail lights with warm soapy water and a medium scotch-brite pad. Do a few coats of the nightshade so it has some build to it. Wetsand that with 1-2000 you want a flat even substrate (shouldn't take longer than 10 minutes per light) Clearcoat then wetsand 1-2-3000 and buff to a mirror. You should be golden.

Only other thing I could add is make sure the clear you're using has a good UV protective rating. Otherwise they will turn yellow/brown on you.

Ryan
06-17-2009, 12:39 AM
Look at my side marker lights. I never clear coated them.

Murgatroy
06-17-2009, 02:24 PM
I did Chaos' lights about 6 years or more ago.

I didn't clear coat.

They look rough now.

rev_head
06-17-2009, 04:12 PM
the rough flat look is more fue to age than enything, you can clear coat it if you really want.
For my indicators all i did was prepol em and they came up awesome and very shiny. So long as you do light coats you should be fine

dups90gt
07-07-2009, 12:34 AM
i just did mine, make sure you get a professional clear coat job and not a rattlecan... I used a spray gun on my old gt and a rattle can on the trac.. huge difference. Ill post pics when I get a chance to take some.

importrcr13
07-07-2009, 02:58 AM
i just did mine, make sure you get a professional clear coat job and not a rattlecan... I used a spray gun on my old gt and a rattle can on the trac.. huge difference. Ill post pics when I get a chance to take some.

I don't 100% agree...

I do agree that professional will produce better however a rattle can with a good nozzle will do fine under these small areas of cover.

I just smoked my younger brothers tail lights for him and I got some NS off eBay real cheap... like $3 shipped or something like that... first i wet sanded the tails, then cleaned them off with 100% alcohol, then used about 3-4 coats of NS. Then wet sanded it, then used 100% alcohol wiped it off, then 2-3 coats of dupli-color clear coat fan nozzle. Wet sanded the clear, used buffing compound, then wax and it looks like it came stock.

We had to wax the car afterwords due to the fact that the tail lights shined better than the actual car. Mind you i live in the desert with 200% sun shine 363 days out of the year, so paint fade is something all to familiar around here, and after almost 8-10 months they still look like they did the day we did it.

dups90gt
07-07-2009, 12:23 PM
I had a fan nozzel and it didnt come out too nice.. it was not as shiny. I didn't wet sand it fater tho as I only put 1 coat of clear as it looked scattered when i sprayed it. I did have to sand off all the markings on the lights tho... so gone are all the toyota markings and numbers and what not. used an electric sander to do that with 800 grit. Ill see if I can get a shot later when i go home. I agree wet sanding would prob help with the evenness of the paint and clear. good info.

toyotaguy90
07-09-2009, 01:16 AM
does anyone know how to remove nightshades? i did it a while back and it is starting to look faded. I want to get the old stuff and re-apply it

a_mounty
07-09-2009, 01:34 AM
i talked to a guy a while back and he said he tried automotive clear coat from a can and it yellowed so he tried the craft clear coat and it worked fine. his are pretty dark and shiney too

importrcr13
07-09-2009, 02:59 AM
does anyone know how to remove nightshades? i did it a while back and it is starting to look faded. I want to get the old stuff and re-apply it

When in doubt. Wet sand, then wet sand some more.

rev_head
07-09-2009, 11:57 PM
^ yep
i would say wet 600-800 dpending how many coats of shades and how think they are. Then work your way up to 2000. Dont go to anything above 100 until theres barely any shades left, with the very fine paper you need to sand lightly, pushing hard just ruins the paper and wont qive you an even finish.

dups90gt
07-10-2009, 01:29 AM
Here are my darker lights with rattle can clear coat.http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii216/fmaramara/090708_215236.jpg
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii216/fmaramara/090708_215300.jpg
sorry for the crappy phone pic.. ill take better ones when I remember to bring my cam down..

rizin
07-23-2009, 04:52 AM
Hey if you want paint shop quality clear coat and you don't have a compressor. Call a paint shop most can mix up a aresol can of what they spray out of a gun. I helped my brother inlaw do his lights on his new chev p/u. I just used a headlight restore kit on my wifes car and the is what we used to polish his night shades and clear coat and it looks great.

importrcr13
07-23-2009, 06:34 AM
Here are my darker lights with rattle can clear coat.http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii216/fmaramara/090708_215236.jpg
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii216/fmaramara/090708_215300.jpg
sorry for the crappy phone pic.. ill take better ones when I remember to bring my cam down..

Looks like you need a huge wet sand & buff to make it shine.