PDA

View Full Version : 1JZ-GTE into a 3rd gen?

Grot
06-16-2009, 02:05 AM
First off will this swap work?

My manager has a TT 1jz he is looking to sell and his father owns a 3rd gen GT he will part with.

My thought pattern says sell my celica for $600

Buy 3rd gen (non running) for $600

Buy 1jz for $2000 (has Mine's ECU Rom Tune, 5spd trans)

Cheaper than the 3sgte swap into my 4th gen when you include the LSD.

Thoughts? Opinions?

My main concern is how much fab will have to be done to get the jz into the GT?

Fox 21 Alpha
06-16-2009, 02:26 AM
www.celica-gts.com is your friend. I read on there some stuff about it, but kinda forgot most of it, besides knowing it can be done, and cheaper and easier iirc then a 2jz

Grot
06-16-2009, 02:33 AM
ive already got a post up there. just wanted any opinions here.
Looks like i will have to move the rad up a few inches and make motor mounts at the least.

Ryan
06-16-2009, 03:05 AM
Im guessing it will be VERY similar to the 2j swap, but Im not sure about any differences between the two... DO EEET!!!

METDeath
06-16-2009, 03:12 AM
1J is apparently shorter than the 2J, and basically, you'd be looking at motor/trans mounts, custom drive shaft, maybe a better rear end for the car with custom axles.

Grot
06-16-2009, 03:17 AM
This is into a 2nd gen, but this is all i have to go on.

http://www.celica-gts.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13318&st=60

CriScO
06-16-2009, 04:54 AM
Do it.

Grot
06-16-2009, 05:08 AM
im thinking in the long run this will be more fun than the typical 3sgte celica.

Now just to convince my dad.

85gtsblackman
06-16-2009, 05:18 AM
yes it will work

hell a 7m its and fits longer and more bulky

Cavanagh
06-16-2009, 06:28 AM
That would be a hell of a lot of fun!

KoreanJoey
06-16-2009, 06:39 AM
1J is apparently shorter than the 2J.

I seriously have my doubts about this... seeing as how the heads can interchange.

VikingJZ
06-16-2009, 07:00 AM
I seriously have my doubts about this... seeing as how the heads can interchange.

X2

It is a J series engine.

the 1J is a 2.5L and the 2J is a 3.0L.

That Mine's ECU is worth its weight in gold.

METDeath
06-16-2009, 11:46 AM

My understanding is it's something to do with the front accessories/belts etc... then again, I could be wrong.

As for the heads, yes they do indeed create the 1.5JZ.

Mr. Babb
06-16-2009, 12:02 PM
you are right marshall the 2j is longer, I have seen this myself as I have a friend who has swapped both into Mark3 supras. it is a much tighter fit with the 2j

joe's gt
06-16-2009, 11:19 PM
Don't mean to thread jack, but this question is kind of on topic in regards to putting a completely foreign engine in a car.

When you put an engine such as 1jz in a 3rd gen which doesn't have the same mounts, driveshaft location, etc., how do you in essence "put it in"?

Like how do you get the driveshaft to line up perfectly, and how do you know its lined up perfectly for that matter? How do you make custom mounts for an engine and determine exactly where it needs to be?

Basically, what is involved with putting in a completely different engine in a car than it was designed for?

I'm just confused at how you get everything to line up properly.

Grot
06-16-2009, 11:33 PM
you have to do custom motor mounts, cutsom driveline (Drive shaft), New rearend (maybe).

There is a good bit of fab required, in the thread i liked to on Celica-GTS the guy made a drag car out of a second gen with a 1jz doing 8.5 in the 1/4

usp45
06-17-2009, 12:42 AM
First off will this swap work?

My manager has a TT 1jz he is looking to sell and his father owns a 3rd gen GT he will part with.

My thought pattern says sell my celica for $600

Buy 3rd gen (non running) for $600

Buy 1jz for $2000 (has Mine's ECU Rom Tune, 5spd trans)

Cheaper than the 3sgte swap into my 4th gen when you include the LSD.

Thoughts? Opinions?

My main concern is how much fab will have to be done to get the jz into the GT?

After adequit suspension and brake upgrades, not to mention the inevitable unforseen this project could easily exceed the $10,000 range. Unless that $2000 includes everthing the 1jz needs to run, even then, get ready to spend alot more than 2600. Considering you financial situation and lack of experiance, I foresee this turning into a five year project, atleast. no offence.

your better off spending the $2600-3000 dollars on a running car that already has a high potential drivetrain. Such as an sc300/400, mustang, camaro, 80s 300zx turbo, anything turbocharged, theres really alot of options. then you can have a running car that you can enjoy while you upgrade the supension as you can afford, oppose to a lifeless 5 year ordeal that you will end up hating. It's more fun to drive a slow car fast with racing supension/brakes, than a fast car slow because your scared of the loose suspension/brakes, or not drive at all cause your still saving for parts to finish the swap!

If you just want a project, you should rebuild your 3sge and build your st162s suspension. It will challenge you, cost won't be too high, and it'll better prepare you for a crazy swap once you figure out your income dilema. Have you driven a car with tuned suspension? Absolute blast in the twisties! even with 130ish hp.

thats my 2-bucks since the dollar is the new penny.

MrWOT
06-17-2009, 12:47 AM
My vote goes to a 7MGTE, not like you're going to want over 500whp anyway

Grot
06-17-2009, 01:21 AM
My vote goes to a 7MGTE, not like you're going to want over 500whp anyway

The only reason i choose the 1jz is because of its avaliability.

honestly i will just see if i can find either a 3sgte or a gen2 3sge for the 162. Those will be plenty for what i am wanting to do

T-spoon
06-17-2009, 01:44 AM
My understanding is it's something to do with the front accessories/belts etc... then again, I could be wrong.

As for the heads, yes they do indeed create the 1.5JZ.

AFAIK (from researching the 2j into mah MKIII) the big problem with fitting the 2j vs the 1j is the twin-turbo assembly on the 2j and the shape of the MKIII firewall. Whether this translates to the 2j being a longer overall assembly I really dunno, or if it's just that the Getrag is longer than the MKIII or SC tranny (which is quite possible) I'm not sure. I do know that if you swap the twins on the 2j with a single manifold and use a 7mgte tranny + 1j bellhousing, the 2j supposedly fits just fine in the MKIII supra with no firewall modification. So take that for whatever it's worth, which may not be a lot when talking about the gen3 Celi, though if a 7m will go in fine then it seems the 2j and 1j should also.

DudeMan
06-17-2009, 03:40 AM
Don't mean to thread jack, but this question is kind of on topic in regards to putting a completely foreign engine in a car.

When you put an engine such as 1jz in a 3rd gen which doesn't have the same mounts, driveshaft location, etc., how do you in essence "put it in"?

Like how do you get the driveshaft to line up perfectly, and how do you know its lined up perfectly for that matter? How do you make custom mounts for an engine and determine exactly where it needs to be?

Basically, what is involved with putting in a completely different engine in a car than it was designed for?

I have this exact same question.

Obviously a custom driveline and mounts would have to be made but how do you actually measure and line up something like this?

So much would have to be taken into consideration and it would be very tedious, no?

85gtsblackman
06-17-2009, 04:55 AM
go look up a swaped 82-86 celica supra on celicasupra.com

mostly the same process

cept the mk2 has a longer nose but only by 6 inches, but te mounts are all the same

it would be better to use a gts so you could just switch out pumpkins and use a lsd diff from a mk2 supra or do a frankenstine rear end, or just use the 3.73 rear end from a 82 supra

the w58 tranmission is good supposedly to 500hp, there is a ongoing debate which i stronger, the w58 or r154.

any other questions feel free to ask any other rwd members such as me or tomyc48

MrWOT
06-17-2009, 05:12 AM
I <3 the w58, smooth, gears are nicely spaced, but I have heard of them grenading above 400ft/lbs

usp45
06-17-2009, 05:46 AM

Its not as hard to measure and align rwd swaps as you might think.

First things first posistion the engine/trans. Lower it into place-ish using a hoist. You want to mount it as far back as possible leaving as much radiator space as you can. You also want it as low as it can reasonably mount. Measure and mark the center of the car and align it with the the center of the crank(doesn't have to be absolutly perfect but too far off is very bad). Same applies for the transmisssion shaft. Chances are you will not be able to get the trans output shaft same place as the stock configuration cause everthing will be bigger, but the closer the better. Most likely it will end up farther back, and slightly higher or lower depending on how the engine fits. Thats okay, the key is keepin it aimed strait down the middle. Driveshafts can handle a few degrees of vertical movement, otherwise we wouldn't have rear suspension on said cars. Once everything is perfect support the motor using rope, string, blocks, ducktape, ect. Last you will need fabricate the mounts. Since your question was about measuring and alignment, I won't go into depth on the mounts.

thats a basic summary.

KoreanJoey
06-18-2009, 06:59 AM
Not the same swap but same procedures.

http://pstoc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3921

joe's gt
06-18-2009, 07:29 AM
Thanks very much guys. Exactly what I was looking for. Just kind of wanted a general idea on how its done. Didn't realize drive shafts had a little mounting play. I thought that they had to be fixed in a certain position. I guess how much is allowed depends on the application. Thanks for the description usp45, it was really helpful. I guess fwd is kind of the same deal.

EDIT: Post 1000!!! :bigthumbu

85gtsblackman
06-18-2009, 04:24 PM
come to think of it all 3rd gens come with a w58, also the w58 was use as the n/a mk3 and mk4 supra trans and sc300 manual as well.

so with the correct bellhousing all you would really havta do is fab motor mounts

Grot
06-18-2009, 04:48 PM
^^yea ive found that, but i will have to swap trans if i upgrade it much at all

85gtsblackman
06-19-2009, 07:38 AM
uh huh, i seriously doubt this will happen but if it does, you would be good to about 400-500 whp

your biggest issue would be the rear end